i have lost weight already living in isaan

james1995

Im the opposite way. easy for me to lose weight but hard to gain. I live in Bkk and alternate between the athletic and anorexic prisoner of war look. i eat so much junk its untrue. if I lived up there, as much as I love Isaan food, Id be invivisible if I stood sideways to you.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Just stay off the Leo beer

Strange, I prefer that to all other stuff, and I can lose weight anyway. Maybe because I get my ass off the chair here easier? I bet!

Edited by hkt83100
typo
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, nikmar said:

Im the opposite way. easy for me to lose weight but hard to gain. I live in Bkk and alternate between the athletic and anorexic prisoner of war look. i eat so much junk its untrue. if I lived up there, as much as I love Isaan food, Id be invivisible if I stood sideways to you.

My wife's dad was the same as yourself...she proudly referred to.him as a ...."thoroughbred".

17 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Singha Light is good if only more places sold it.

Or course the healthiest and most thirst quenching drink in Thailand is plain soda water and ice with fresh lime wedges squeezed into it. Dont order 'soda gab manao' outside cos they load it with salt and sugar, but most restaurants will bring a bottle of soda and lime wedges separate if u or your missus asks.

I’d partly agree with you but I do enjoy fresh coconut straight off the tree. The juice for me is perfect to quench my thirst ? ? ? 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, james1995 said:

i think i have already lost several pounds since I left america.  this is definitely working.  since i live in a village in the middle of nowhere, there is no 7/11 around for many miles.  nothing but soups and sticky rice everyday. ?  i think if i keep this up, i will be off my BP meds in about 3 months

Not unless you exercise as well. Weight loss is a great start but without exercise you will still need the meds.

• Like 2

For many, its a matter of how much you eat, what you eat and when, coupled with some exercise and by that I don't mean a stroll to the shops!! You need to do a set of regular body exercises and something like cycling.

Keep off sugary drinks and the like, for me that worked well after retiring.

Lets be honest, many have 3 sugars in there coffee, fried food, snacks between meals, too many beers all day and are couch potatoes!! ...Nothing wrong in that, but that's why many are overweight and suffer bad back, poor knees, sweats, diabetes, hypertension etc.

4 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

I’d partly agree with you but I do enjoy fresh coconut straight off the tree. The juice for me is perfect to quench my thirst ??? 

Yes, me too, and it is very nutritious too; a natural electrolyte.

• Like 1

I've lost 14kgs (30lbs) since moving to Thailand three and a half months ago. I'm now more than half-way to my target weight loss for my 60th in mid-November, but my long term goal is to get to 85kg in the first half of 2019, and stick to it, no rebound. I've achieved my results to date without exercise but have just started brisk walking. I've done it by 100% elimination of sugar in tea/coffee, beer/alcohol, fruit juice, chips/savory snacks, pastries/pies/sausage rolls, fast food/takeaway/pizza, dessert and confectionery. Plus a 90%+ reduction in milk based coffee, cake/sweet biscuits, chocolate, carbs/bread and beef/lamb. I've increased consumption of water, pork/ham/bacon, eggs and cheese. No change to consumption of milk, tea/coffee, butter/olive oil or salt. I eat breakfast and have something light to eat about 3:00pm. I fast two days a week.

From memory I initially put on some weight, then lost a lot due to other factors, but now have levelled out. What did happen though was my sugar levels went up to pre-diabetic range. Sticky rice doesn't feel you up, so you end up grazing on it all day like the Thais (with soda like the Thais). End result, higher blood sugar levels. Took the sticky rice out as well as the soda, and got the family to switch to brown rice just 3 or 4 times a week (not 3 times a day), and everything went back to normal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm in the lose weight game here too....here is how it's working...

In the US I drive everywhere. Here, I walk at least a km a day.

In the US, I satisfy the munchies by driving to Mickey D's Burger Palace and pounding down a QP....here, I grab a small stirfry and because there ain't no dispensaries,I don't get the munchies....

My fridge is full of fruit instead of ice cream...

The soda is too sweet here. Soda water instead.

Chicken chicken chicken....

Veggies veggies veggie....

I don't care about loading my morning Joe with Condensed,because I walk it off.

I'll lose 30 pounds before I leave in April. And with a month of travels in Cambodia coming up, probably more....

Then as soon as I hit the US, driving, dispensaries, In and Out or Cookout burgers, sweet tea, get fat, return to Thailand,repeat.

14 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

I’d partly agree with you but I do enjoy fresh coconut straight off the tree. The juice for me is perfect to quench my thirst ??? 

I have 15 Thai dwarf coconut trees in my yard, I drink coconut water all the time - my diabetician told me I could only drink one a week, so I reduced it to two glasses a day, been lying to her for six years and she says  "See, I told you.listen to me and you'll stay healthy"

Bad Ass Coconut tree.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I have 15 Thai dwarf coconut trees in my yard, I drink coconut water all the time - my diabetician told me I could only drink one a week, so I reduced it to two glasses a day, been lying to her for six years and she says  "See, I told you.listen to me and you'll stay healthy"

Bad Ass Coconut tree.JPG

Nice tree dude!

18 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

Low quality Stick Rice, Avoid  that crap, pure sugar, put some table spoons of coconut oil in your diet, it ceases the hunger pains , and you will lose weight

This expert from Germany says coconut oil is poison.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/aug/22/coconut-oil-is-pure-poison-says-harvard-professor

Also beware of all the MSG in Thai food.

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Nice tree dude!

We have 14 cows so they get plenty of natural fertilizer - has no effect on the taste of the water ???  so called educated 'experts' can't compete with 1000 years of people drinking coconut water........Thai's and Vietnamese have the lowest population with diabetes and high blood pressure than anywhere on the planet.  I'll continue to have my glass of ice cold coconut water twice a day..........in fact, I think Ill have one now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

We have 14 cows so they get plenty of natural fertilizer - has no effect on the taste of the water ???  so called educated 'experts' can't compete with 1000 years of people drinking coconut water........Thai's and Vietnamese have the lowest population with diabetes and high blood pressure than anywhere on the planet.  I'll continue to have my glass of ice cold coconut water twice a day..........in fact, I think Ill have one now.

The 'expert' was discussing coconut oil, not the water. There is coconut water, coconut milk and coconut oil. Coconut water is good for you. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282857.php

8 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I am not worthy! ?