Australian couple save $24,000 a year after moving from Melbourne to Chiang Mai

webfact

Australian couple save $24,000 a year after moving from Melbourne to Chiang Mai

living-in-chiang-mai.jpg

An Australian woman has revealed how she and her boyfriend saved almost $24,000 after moving from Melbourne to Chiang Mai.

Michelle Hammond and fiance Jason moved from Victoria, Melbourne to Chiang Mai earlier this year and don’t regret the move one bit.

In an article published on the International Living website, freelance journalist Michelle said:

“Before moving here, I knew Chiang Mai offered low-cost living and that the savings I’d make would mean I’d be in for a nice lifestyle upgrade.

“But I didn’t realise just how good the value was.

“Now I’m settled in, I’ve a good handle on my budget and the savings I’m making run right across the board, from the essentials to the little luxuries,” she wrote.

Michelle says the couple now save more than $10,000 per year on rent, $5,000 on transport and $2,600 eating out.

“In Melbourne, my partner Jason and I paid $1,738 (plus bills) for a two-bedroom apartment in an old building with no amenities”.

“This worked out to $400 a week, cheap by Melbourne standards.

“Compare this to our modern condo in the trendy Chiang Mai suburb of Nimman, which comes with a pool, gym, sauna, library, rooftop area and more.”

Chiang-Mai-pool.jpg

Now she pays 20,000 baht, less than half what she way paying to rent a place in Melbourne.

“Friends of ours rent a much older place, with no amenities, in the neighbouring area of Santitham for 7,000 baht ($290) per month,” Michelle wrote.

“Cars are expensive to run. Back in Melbourne, it cost me at least $50 a fortnight to fill up my Hyundai Elantra – that’s $1,300 a year, just on petrol.”

“Add to that the cost of insurance (in my case, $812 for comprehensive cover) and registration ($800), and you’re looking at a total of $2,912.

“Multiply that by two (Jason’s car expenses were roughly the same as mine) and the grand total is an eyewatering $5,824.”

But after moving to Chiang Mai the couple no longer need a car, as many places are within walking distance or they just use the Grab ride hailing app.

“If we do need to travel somewhere, we can catch a Grab (Thailand’s version of Uber) for as little as 68 baht (about $3),” she said.

Other perks for Michelle are that hair and beauty treatments are much cheaper in Chiang Mai than back in Melbourne.

“Every six weeks, I’d fork out about $250 for a cut, colour and blow-dry. I also used to treat myself to a pedicure ($30) every three months, which meant my beauty expenses – not including cosmetics – would set me back around $2,120 a year.

“While beauty treatments aren’t dirt-cheap in Chiang Mai, there are still savings to be had. A cut, colour and blow-dry starts at around 2,850 baht ($118), while a pedicure is about 300 baht ($12). That’s an annual saving of $1,128”, Michelle added.

“You can get a full-body, one-hour, oil massage for as little as 200 baht ($8)”.

“In Australia, that same massage would set you back at least $60. Let’s say you treated yourself to one massage per week. That’s an annual saving of $2,704.

“We love eating out but back in Melbourne, we always felt a little guilty if we didn’t cook the bulk of our meals, purely because of the cost, Michelle explained.

“I estimate we spent at least $150 on either restaurant or takeaway food every week. Even takeaway Thai would cost about $40 for both of us”.

But in Chiang Mai the couple can make huge savings on food, despite eating out every night.

She also says Chiang Mai is much cheaper when it comes to buying a beer compared to Melbourne.

“The other night, we spent 220 baht ($9) for two servings of pad Thai, a plate of pork ribs and two mango shakes,’ Michelle added.

“We eat out every single night in Chiang Mai for about $100 per week. Compare this to our weekly restaurant/takeaway spend in Melbourne and we’re saving about $2,600 a year on dining out.”

“Back home, a beer would cost about $10.

“Here you can sip on a cold brew for as little as $2. Even if you only drank one beer a week, that’s a saving of $416 a year”, Michelle said.

“Beer isn’t the only refreshment you’ll pay less for. You can pick up a fresh fruit shake (literally just your fruit of choice, mixed with crushed ice) for 30 baht (about $1.25) or a delicious smoothie packed with different ingredients for 60 baht ($2.50).

“In Australia, fresh smoothies cost upwards of $10. Assuming you enjoyed just one smoothie every week, that’s an annual saving of $390.”

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-22

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, sattahip said:

And what is the source of income for this happy couple? Is it taxable in Australia? Or perhaps Government sourced? I'd love to hear so my cynicism is rebutted.

Of course they don't work as they would need work permits of which there is no mention. And I hope he does not wear black underpants as they seem to be a tad unlucky in Chiang Mai currently.

46 minutes ago, sattahip said:

And what is the source of income for this happy couple? Is it taxable in Australia? Or perhaps Government sourced? I'd love to hear so my cynicism is rebutted.

From the third line of the article/OP:

"In an article published on the International Living website, freelance journalist Michelle said..."

In the US this would be taxable income, assuming she met the minimum income requirements. This is certainly a viable means of making a living. Not sure how Australia handles freelance workers, individual contractors, and consultants.

If you're interested, they're looking for contributors. https://internationalliving.com/au/international-living-australia-is-looking-for-writers/

Typical BS digital nomad pap piece. Michelle and Jason eh? Yeah right.

You don’t need a car in Melbourne either, let alone two. And if they didn’t eat so much takeaway and mango smoothies... and all those hair and beauty treatments... the cost difference is not that great. Certainly not enough to warrant moving to Chiang Mai of all places LOL!

I can believe this. I saved $20,000 Canadian a year for the first 5 years I lived in Thailand. At the time it was about 30 baht to the dollar. So 600,000 a year. I had enough to go back to Canada each year rent a car etc and still save this in 11 months in Thailand. I also bought a truck and motorcycle in that time here in Thailand. and furnished my home.

32 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

From the third line of the article/OP:

"In an article published on the International Living website, freelance journalist Michelle said..."

In the US this would be taxable income, assuming she met the minimum income requirements. This is certainly a viable means of making a living. Not sure how Australia handles freelance workers, individual contractors, and consultants.

If you're interested, they're looking for contributors. https://internationalliving.com/au/international-living-australia-is-looking-for-writers/

I would say it most certainly taxable in Auss

She obviously works for herself,so she would therefor require a Business license 

She would of claimed a lot more perks back from the Tax man then the average Joe Blo - Who is dam lucky to get anything

So Freelancing from here (like E commerce work ) = ???

15 hours ago, sattahip said:

the article mentioned free lance journalist.  Now the next question is what sort of visas are they on?  Looks like a typical bunch of BS.  No medical or travel insurance probably too.

16 hours ago, sattahip said:

Perhaps it comes from writing glowing promotional articles that contain misleading statements.

If one wishes to maintain a western quality of life, there are no cost savings because the additional costs  for healthcare, travel, quality food etc. offset any savings from rent, petrol etc.

One size doesn't fit all as the promotional article suggests.

49 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

the article mentioned free lance journalist.  Now the next question is what sort of visas are they on?  Looks like a typical bunch of BS.  No medical or travel insurance probably too.

I had a similar thought too. Doubt we get an answer though.

I am scratching my head as there is no mention of income and I doubt very much that she could earn as much in Chang Mai than she could in Melbourne so it’s a bit of a non story as she hasn’t made it clear where their income comes from if it’s from Australia then fine I could believe it .

cheepo aussies coming to Thailand to save money??

and money they saved most probably will be transferred back home or somewhere else and will not be spent in Thailand.

Bringing zero benefits to Thailand.

sad...and how come this is a news?

2 minutes ago, Galactus said:

cheepo aussies coming to Thailand to save money??

and money they saved most probably will be transferred back home or somewhere else and will not be spent in Thailand.

Bringing zero benefits to Thailand.

sad...and how come this is a news?

I wish that posters would stop moaning all the time , it makes for depressing reading, all the negativity 

I have no problem believing their figures. I moved to Chiang Mai from Melbourne 9 years ago. I don't save money, because I spend what I get in income. However, in Melbourne I'd probably be living in a caravan park and eating noodles every day.

I have the satisfaction of a much better lifestyle here, and the knowledge I won't be outliving my savings.

If you are an Age Pensioner in Australia, and you are renting, it's a brutal fact rent will take 50%-60% of your income.

At a rough guess, I would say someone with $500,000 ( AUD ) carefully invested for income can live here almost indefinitely, irrespective of their age.

IMHO this thread has brought out the nattering nabobs of negativity. Not to mention some really asinine posts.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Every year I send her a card that says

Weather here.

Wish you were lovely.

I'm kiniow - I wouldn't waste money on a card to either of my formers. They took me for a goodly chunk of what I earned anyway. I did earn big.

"... “Every six weeks, I’d fork out about $250 for a cut, colour and blow-dry. ..."

Back in the day, I could get a BJ and a lay for 90 Baht in Bangkok. That included the room. 150 Baht at current exchange rates.  I got a Thai wife who would cut my hair whenever needed at less than $250/6 weeks.  Hell, the house and utilities were about 2,000 Baht a month. 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Every six weeks, I’d fork out about $250 for a cut, colour and blow-dry. I also used to treat myself to a pedicure ($30) every three months, which meant my beauty expenses – not including cosmetics – would set me back around $2,120 a year.

“While beauty treatments aren’t dirt-cheap in Chiang Mai, there are still savings to be had. A cut, colour and blow-dry starts at around 2,850 baht ($118), while a pedicure is about 300 baht ($12). That’s an annual saving of $1,128”, Michelle added

Thank Christ I was not born a woman.

Thank God I was born a man-slob.

Archived