O-A retirement visa in Australia - proof of funds and JP

Hi,

I've read a longish thread in regards to getting 1 year O-A retirement visa in Australia. Most of the things were quite clear except proving enough funds with financial statements. I have the required funds in a bank, but it looks like I can only get electronic statements from my banks - haven't received a paper statement for years. How a JP can certify a printout of an electronic statement? I've used JPs before to certify copies of original documents, but I can print the bank statements myself..how a JP can certify my printout? Do I need to call the banks to get paper statements?  I used a single copy printed electronic bank statements for visas before (but not O-A), and never had an issue.  I have amounts exceeding the requirements in both Rabobank and ING.

• 1 month later...

Want to report success in obtaining 1 year retirement O-A visa with the Thai Consulate in Sydney.

The process was smoother than I expected. One thing I didn't know was that the start of the visa is from the application date, not the supposed entry date in the application, so one month lost...

Another thing I haven't seen in the forum posts so far is that the lady at the consulate wanted only copies of the documents - I have prepared the originals, plus 3 copies certified by a JP, and handed over only 2 copies of each document.  The originals were as-is, no JP stamps on them.

Here are the details per each document required:

* Photos - selfie with a white wall as a background, then used online passport sizing app (8 photos on 4X6 paper format), then printed at Kmart - total cost 75 cents for 40 passport size photos. Not good for passports, but seem OK for visa purposes.

* Bank statements - rang ING and they sent me a printed and stamped statement for the last 4 months at no cost.  The statement arrived in around 10 days, 3 pages, so I had to certify 9 with the JP 9 pages.

* Police certificate - done online with AFP, took around 5 days to receive it via post.

* Medical certificate - my GP did it during a visit for other services, took her around 2-3 minutes to fill it in.

I also provided copies of flight tickets, they took them, but I don't think it was necessary.

It took 3 days for them to issue the visa. No issues raised whatsoever.

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

I plan to apply for the OA visa soon via the Sydney office and was wondering if anyone has applied recently?

The official page now makes no mention of a medical certificate being required. Also, no mention that copies need to be certified by a JP -

http://www.thaiembassy.org/sydney/en/other/96010-NON-IMMIGRANT-VISA.html

Can anyone reassure me that I should be safe to proceed without providing a medical cert, or without getting copies certified by a JP?

Also @Gearbox mentioned that only one copy of each document is required, but this also appears to be ambiguous as the OA section refers to "additional" documents required, meaning two copies in addition to the General Visa application requirements.

Very confusing!

Anyway, hoping one of you guys can help me out,

Cheers

I got an Ò-A at Sydney near end April 2019 (about when the website changed a little I think). I did have a medical cert (doctor filled in when I got vaccinations updated - was amused by some of the questions). I did not have anything signed by JP, nothing 'bound' etc. I took copies of all passport pages, but they only seemed to want the identification page. I had a letter from Commonwealth Bank, but it was just a printout (the bank was reluctant to stamp/sign it).

I took what I had into the Consulate to ask if I needed anything else (expecting to be sent away). They were very helpful "do you want to apply now", and it was done - got visa three days later. It means my visa is dated a few days earlier than I might have hoped (dated with date I applied I think).

Very easy & painless process (apart from the visa fee).

I've had similar problems with bank statements.. I just get my Credit Union to do a colour print ..stamp it and sign it.. That works without any problems..  I have money in an investment account as well.. that is a bit harder as they don't have any physical offices.. I call on their help line and get them to send me a signed statement.. That works too..  This isn't strictly to their requirement but it has worked for me a number of times now.  I've found not all JPs are helpful.. if you have a problem with one.. try another..