Whats the Thai Bank of choice for Tourists

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Um becasue I am going to switch off to a retirement visa sooner or later. 

and just bring it over in a few chunks..I did 200K per time, and got a pretty good average FX.  Interest rates appear to have bottomed out in LOS, so that is good for savers.  At 3%...the interest pays my condo maintenance and electric..all year, and my extension fee.  I did well with CIMB...but they may be strict on the visa thing....but I started with BBL years ago.

1 minute ago, cookieqw said:

then why ask about a what a tourist would want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not quite sure what you are driving at, but the simple reason is that I am using tourist visa at this time

Just now, moontang said:

and just bring it over in a few chunks..I did 200K per time, and got a pretty good average FX.  Interest rates appear to have bottomed out in LOS, so that is good for savers.  At 3%...the interest pays my condo maintenance and electric..all year, and my extension fee.  I did well with CIMB...but they may be strict on the visa thing....but I started with BBL years ago.

Exactly......I still have things to do in the states before I veg out permanently.....

It's almost impossible to open an account now without a work permit. You best chance is Krung Sri, but even then you should expect them to ask for a work permit.

You'll see posters on here saying how easy is is, but they did it x years ago, very different now.

7 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

It's almost impossible to open an account now without a work permit. You best chance is Krung Sri, but even then you should expect them to ask for a work permit.

You'll see posters on here saying how easy is is, but they did it x years ago, very different now.

Then how is it possible to season ones bankroll?

3 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Go and ask in some branches. I am 99.99% sure they will say no work permit, no bank account, not even a super basic savings account with no interest.

All right other than that generalization, is there some recent experience you care to share. Guess Ill just roll over to BB....and ask...

Yes, I tried for weeks to open a bank account and tried almost 20 branches. Managed to open a bank account at Krung Sri but it was very difficult, and they only allowed it because I was married and the clerk came from the same village as my wife, otherwise it was going to be a point blank no.

This was a couple of months ago.

If you know someone senior in Thailand like a doctor, lawyer, senior military guy etc. it may make things easier if you can get them to vouch for you. Otherwise you'll have to get a work permit.

34 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Yes, I tried for weeks to open a bank account and tried almost 20 branches. Managed to open a bank account at Krung Sri but it was very difficult, and they only allowed it because I was married and the clerk came from the same village as my wife, otherwise it was going to be a point blank no.

This was a couple of months ago.

If you know someone senior in Thailand like a doctor, lawyer, senior military guy etc. it may make things easier if you can get them to vouch for you. Otherwise you'll have to get a work permit.

not if you are older....a long stay visa or extension is more of the actual requirement, but yes, they do tend to interpret it as WP...it is just too hard for them to imagine a middle aged but with enough saved to not work...TMB is the only one that was ever steadfast with me about WP..I went next door and doubled my interest rate, then thanked them for not letting me out a million in their bank with my O-,A visa, in their Facebook page.  They even acknowledged they didn't know the rules.

Also, it is the easiest way for them to avoid all the paperwork.  They are lazy...and at the moment, not really in need of deposits, as there is no one  credible to loan it to.  

Archived