Calcium Hypochlorite

BEVUP

Hi All

So this is what I am using since my pool is under cover & I also put a tablet in my skimmer for 1 hr every now & then.

So my first purchase of this product came in a granular form & mixed very well in the bucket, resulting in a clear blended mix. All well when put in the pool

Now that I purchased my second lot (same label, same company ), it was a powder form. So now when I mix in the bucket it does not blend in with the water.

It stays all milky ( settles to the bottom ) & the same when added to pool.

I did research & it does say it doesn't really mix with the water.

So what is happening ? Are they actually the same product (even though label states this )

Thanks for replies 

A couple of possibilities:

The original pack had a complexant such as EDTA to assist in solubilisation of calcium.

The second pack exceeded its shelf life, resulting in absorption of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and formation of calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is insoluble in water.

Both calcium hypochlorite and sodium hypochlorite do decompose slowly. The sodium form comes as a liquid, no worries about solubility.

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

formation of calcium carbonate.

Would this decrease the chlorine life in the pool

I just took a reading & it's telling me there is no Chlorine, when I think there should be due to the amount I put in prior & was getting good readings 

I will duck out & do a Ammonia test to see if anything is consuming the Chlorine

10 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Would this decrease the chlorine life in the pool

I just took a reading & it's telling me there is no Chlorine, when I think there should be due to the amount I put in prior & was getting good readings 

I will duck out & do a Ammonia test to see if anything is consuming the Chlorine

Calcium carbonate is inert, has no effect on chlorine life.

The two measures to focus on are Total Chlorine ( TC ) and Free Available Chlorine ( FAC ).

TC is a measure of how much chlorine is required to react with organic compounds in the pool water. It is always more than FAC, unless you are treating pure water.

FAC is a measure of the chlorine available to sterilise any bacteria present. The aim is to have a level of 0.5 - 1.0 mg/L present. More is not better, because that leads to eye, skin and lung irritation.

You will not get a measurable FAC until the chlorine demand, expressed by the TC figure, is satisfied.

Bear in mind pH is important too. A pH of 7 - 8 is desirable. Above pH 9, chlorine is ineffective.

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

Just checked all

TC / FC = Nil

Alkaline = down a bit 

PH = ok

CA = up a bit

Hardness = ok 

Ammonia = Nil 

So I will add another 75 grams to my 5000 ltr wading pool 

By my calculations, you are adding 15 mg/L to the pool.

In my experience, tap water TC demand is usually in the region of 100 - 300 mg/L, unless it is really top quality.

So don't be too surprised if you still can't get a FAC.

56 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

By my calculations, you are adding 15 mg/L to the pool.

In my experience, tap water TC demand is usually in the region of 100 - 300 mg/L, unless it is really top quality.

So don't be too surprised if you still can't get a FAC.

Postscript: Are you adding a total mass of 75 grams, or 75 grams of the hypochlorite content?

• 4 weeks later...

When you take up swimming, you regularly feel cumbersome and think about how best in class swimmers handle specific issues or how they acquire a specific impact, at that point, as time cruises by, you take in some swimming tips and traps that enhance your method and you improve as a swimmer....

Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 12:33 PM, Jason1122 said:

When you take up swimming, you regularly feel cumbersome and think about how best in class swimmers handle specific issues or how they acquire a specific impact, at that point, as time cruises by, you take in some swimming tips and traps that enhance your method and you improve as a swimmer....

http://foundationhorseman.com.au/

Archived