How does this downlight+night light work?

attrayant

I want to install a few of these downlights that have softly-glowing rings around them, which will act as a night light.  I'm tired of tripping over boxes of junk, randomly-moved furniture and laundry backets left in the middle of rooms.

But I don't understand how this light works:

downlight.PNG.6e17125b3bd927bfcfc71dcb16fb742f.PNG

Does the colored ring stay on all the time?  Is there a remote control?  There's no clue in the listing about how to switch between the three different operating modes.  Does anyone have these in their home?

Not certain, but it probably switches between modes by quickly switching on and off.

For example:-

Turn on - Normal downlight

Quickly off then on again - Nightlight

Quickly off then on again - Normal downlight

Or something like that.

I don't much care for that.  I bet somebody will be shutting them off.

I did it again tonight... walking through the "middle" room in the pitch-dark house, I knocked over the ironing board that somebody had left set up.  One of these times it's going to be me on the floor instead of the iron.

Maybe I'll just stick some night nights in the ceiling at strategic locations and wire them all to a timer.  

On 8/23/2018 at 9:38 PM, attrayant said:

I don't much care for that.  I bet somebody will be shutting them off.

I did it again tonight... walking through the "middle" room in the pitch-dark house, I knocked over the ironing board that somebody had left set up.  One of these times it's going to be me on the floor instead of the iron.

Maybe I'll just stick some night nights in the ceiling at strategic locations and wire them all to a timer.  

Better to install a few PIR lights. Then you won't have to bother switching them on 

IMG_4676.thumb.PNG.29515f348c21e449b6f448dc32e3232a.PNG

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Better to install a few PIR lights.

I've had no luck with these.  I think it's because the house is so warm, the thing trips on whenever a warm breeze moves through the room.  The hall light outside my bedroom is on such a sensor and I can see it (under the closed bedroom door) false-tripping on and off all night long.

Likewise, I have this portable one magnetically stuck to the water cooler, and it does the same thing.  It stays on long after people have left the area, and sometimes it doesn't turn on when people approach it.

IMG_8083.JPG.8c6c223fa2311898c5702ec76d8d0d6b.JPG

If I move this light into my office, which is air-conditioned to around 26° it then behave as expected with no false tripping.

Archived