Thai Drivers License - Renewal

eljuwa

Greetings Chiang Mai Forum Members

Many postings on this topic have been posted. I have followed most of them.

There is only one question that I am not clear on.

I know all documents that are required.

My only question

Do I need BOTH a Residency Certificate from Thai Immigration PLUS the Confirmation from the US Consulate as to my Chiang Mai residence.

I am hoping that only the US Consulate confirmation is sufficient.

I was at the same address in Chiang Mai when I renewed my Thai Drivers License last time.

Many thanks for your response

James

Only one is required. If the residency affidavit is the notarized doc obtained from the Consulate, it is acceptable to the authorities for the driver license renewal so long as it is less than one year since obtained. The residency certificate from Thai immigration is valid only for up to 30 days. 

18 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Only one is required. If the residency affidavit is the notarized doc obtained from the Consulate, it is acceptable to the authorities for the driver license renewal so long as it is less than one year since obtained. The residency certificate from Thai immigration is valid only for up to 30 days. 

Thanks very much

I think land transport dept prefer residence certificate because it is in Thai alphabet issued by the Thai government which is more authentic whereas residence affidavit could be in English which the Thai civil servant don't understand fully or forged because each country has a different design for the affidavit and Thai government staff wouldn't know whether they are authentic or not.

I might be wrong..

34 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I think land transport dept prefer residence certificate because it is in Thai alphabet issued by the Thai government which is more authentic whereas residence affidavit could be in English which the Thai civil servant don't understand fully or forged because each country has a different design for the affidavit and Thai government staff wouldn't know whether they are authentic or not.

I might be wrong..

You are wrong. I’ve used both before. Transport Office is quite familiar with the US Consulate form

Archived