No amount of alcohol is good for your overall health, global study says

webfact

No amount of alcohol is good for your overall health, global study says

By Sandee LaMotte, CNN

(CNN)If you're one of the third of all humankind who drinks alcohol, take note: There's no amount of liquor, wine or beer that is safe for your overall health, according to a new analysis of 2016 global alcohol consumption and disease risk.

Alcohol was the leading risk factor for disease and premature death in men and women between the ages of 15 and 49 worldwide in 2016, accounting for nearly one in 10 deaths, according to the study,published Thursday in the journal The Lancet. For all ages, alcohol was associated with 2.8 million deaths that year.

Those deaths include alcohol-related cancer and cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases such as tuberculosis, intentional injury such as violence and self-harm, and traffic accidents and other unintentional injuries such as drowning and fires.

Full story: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/23/health/global-alcohol-study/index.html

cnn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright CNN 2018-08-24

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a very naughty liver, that needs to be punished, so I shall continue to imbibe thank you very much and sod the consequences.

Lots of things I do aren't good for me, but I would rather enjoy them, than possibly live a few months longer but be bloody miserable for the remainder of my days.

23 minutes ago, darksidedog said:
23 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

possibly live a few months longer but be bloody miserable for the remainder of my days.

Nobody told me to stop with alcohol, but I stopped anyway about 5 years ago. I can tell you I don't feel bloody miserable at al, on the contrary I feel much better and enjoy much more activities ten before, but it's every bodies own  choise.

20 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

Nobody told me to stop with alcohol, but I stopped anyway about 5 years ago. I can tell you I don't feel bloody miserable at al, on the contrary I feel much better and enjoy much more activities ten before, but it's every bodies own  choise.

I took the oath 29+ years ago, and aside from the improvement in the quality of my life, all the weekends I used to lose to nasty hangovers, and apologizing for all the stupid things I did under the influence, I can't count the (literally) hundred of thousands of dollars I've saved by not paying stupid prices for cocktails and beer.

It is so nice to start Friday night with $50 in my pocket and have change left over on Monday.  Used to be, I'd go out Friday night with $200 and wake up Monday with nothing but a bunch of ATM withdrawal stubs in my pocket.  And that was the '80s, when $200 was a lot of money.

So I'd add that no amount of alcohol was good for my financial health, either.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I have a very naughty liver, that needs to be punished, so I shall continue to imbibe thank you very much and sod the consequences.

Lots of things I do aren't good for me, but I would rather enjoy them, than possibly live a few months longer but be bloody miserable for the remainder of my days.

Me: Doctor, if I give up beer, will I live longer?

Doctor: Not really, but it will just seem like it.

15 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Me: Doctor, if I give up beer, will I live longer?

Doctor: Not really, but it will just seem like it.

12:11 and I'm on my 3rd beer ........ at 62 I'm old enough, nothing much left to do except get drunk and smoke cannabis.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Thai beers give me a steady headache after 2  small bottles....European natural brewed beers don't do that.

So i guess it can't be healthy to drink Thai beer if it hurts my brains so bad.

I get the exact same 2 beer headache. First I avoided draft beer, then tried ever single brand of bottled beers (on different nights obviously!), but now I avoid beer at any cost in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I get the exact same 2 beer headache. First I avoided draft beer, then tried ever single brand of bottled beers (on different nights obviously!), but now I avoid beer at any cost in Thailand.

I don't get a headache from more than 2 bottles Hoegaarden....try it!

I'd better not see anyone in this thread ever complaining about 20 parts per billion of a 'maybe-could by-possibly carcinogenic' pesticide in their food, if you're willing to drink a glass of wine that has 130 million ppb of a known, class 1 carcinogen (ethanol) in it.

That is all.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Thai beers give me a steady headache after 2  small bottles....European natural brewed beers don't do that.

Is the logical conclusion that those drinking Thai beer are brain dead?

No beer, no smoking, no nufink now in our iPhone world.......We will all live in plastic bags from birth soon.....

Now I wonder how I can tell my forefathers that lived well into their 80/90's they could have lived longer if they didn't drink, smoke and did nufink but had an iPhone...?

2 hours ago, Thian said:

If it makes you drink less, I would say Thai Beer is more healthy than Europeen. 

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Maybe not, but I shall continue to consume it in moderation, as I enjoy it, and, to me, it is a nice sociable activity ?

Why is it a nice sociable activity? Learned social activity, or ? 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

12:11 and I'm on my 3rd beer ........ at 62 I'm old enough, nothing much left to do except get drunk and smoke cannabis.

Is that 3 down yer neck since noon lunch time, or did you start with a late, leisurely breakfast?

1 hour ago, transam said:

No beer, no smoking, no nufink now in our iPhone world.......We will all live in plastic bags from birth soon.....

Now I wonder how I can tell my forefathers that lived well into their 80/90's they could have lived longer if they didn't drink, smoke and did nufink but had an iPhone...?

I thought an Apple a day kept the doctor away?

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I did a lot of hangover testing during my drinking career.  Tried different beers, tried different wines, tried different hard stuff.  Tried alternating water between toddies.  I switched to gin and tonic because I hated the taste of gin and the taste of tonic water.  I figured that would slow me down.  Who'da thunk that loving G&T would be an acquired taste?

Nothing worked (except throwing up right away when I got home- which was effective about half the time).  My problem is that my hangovers didn't start until the following afternoon, then I was in for about 24 hours of misery.  Which meant Saturday night and Sunday morning were shot after a good Friday night.  Unless I drank on Saturday night instead, and then I was pretty rough at work on Monday morning before I rallied after lunch.

I just wasn't willing to accept that it was the alcohol causing my pain.  It wasn't the sulfites.  It wasn't the formaldehyde.  It wasn't all the other things I tried to blame.  Not so strangely, I can eat and drink just about anything with no alcohol and still never get a hangover.  Sulfites, formaldehyde, preservatives, it doesn't matter.  No Vitamin A(lcohol), no hangover.  It's that simple.

2 hours ago, attrayant said:

I'd better not see anyone in this thread ever complaining about 20 parts per billion of a 'maybe-could by-possibly carcinogenic' pesticide in their food, if you're willing to drink a glass of wine that has 130 million ppb of a known, class 1 carcinogen (ethanol) in it.

That is all.

I shudder to think what would happen if you did :cheesy::cheesy:

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

I did a lot of hangover testing during my drinking career.  Tried different beers, tried different wines, tried different hard stuff.  Tried alternating water between toddies.  I switched to gin and tonic because I hated the taste of gin and the taste of tonic water.  I figured that would slow me down.  Who'da thunk that loving G&T would be an acquired taste?

Nothing worked (except throwing up right away when I got home- which was effective about half the time).  My problem is that my hangovers didn't start until the following afternoon, then I was in for about 24 hours of misery.  Which meant Saturday night and Sunday morning were shot after a good Friday night.  Unless I drank on Saturday night instead, and then I was pretty rough at work on Monday morning before I rallied after lunch.

I just wasn't willing to accept that it was the alcohol causing my pain.  It wasn't the sulfites.  It wasn't the formaldehyde.  It wasn't all the other things I tried to blame.  Not so strangely, I can eat and drink just about anything with no alcohol and still never get a hangover.  Sulfites, formaldehyde, preservatives, it doesn't matter.  No Vitamin A(lcohol), no hangover.  It's that simple.

Well some get hangovers, some don't, some want to beat the shit out of someone and then some want to cuddle ...Me.....I just.....:guitar:....then take the beating, then a cuddle from Mrs.Trans...?

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

..it can't be worse than swimming at Pattaya beach 

Just now, peterb17 said:

It’s strange , I don’t mind a beer or two or some wine- I can’t say I’ve ever had a hangover.

People go on about hangovers - what are the symptoms.

Maybe I am just not drinking enough ? 

Try a few beers AND some wine.  The grape and the grain.  ?

Archived