No amount of alcohol is good for your overall health, global study says

webfact

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I have a very naughty liver, that needs to be punished, so I shall continue to imbibe thank you very much and sod the consequences.

Lots of things I do aren't good for me, but I would rather enjoy them, than possibly live a few months longer but be bloody miserable for the remainder of my days.

Well said, I like my beer and accept the risk as worth the price. 

The next study will say it is good for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Nobody told me to stop with alcohol, but I stopped anyway about 5 years ago. I can tell you I don't feel bloody miserable at al, on the contrary I feel much better and enjoy much more activities ten before, but it's every bodies own  choise.

Its all about moderation - it exist much joyable between abstinence and misuse...

Edited by ttrd

4 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Its all about moderation - it exist much joyable between abstinence and misuse...

Moderation is very hard to define and control when it comes to drugs. For many abstinence is the only safe option.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

Moderation is very hard to define and control when it comes to drugs. For many abstinence is the only safe option.

This thread was all about alchohol and not about drugs....:whistling:

1 minute ago, ttrd said:

This thread was all about alchohol and not about drugs....:whistling:

Here we go. It had to happen... someone wants to debate if alcohol is a drug or not. It most certainly is a drug which should be fairly obvious from its effects on the brain. 

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/alcohol-abuse/faq/is-alcohol-a-drug/

Is alcohol classified as a drug?

Alcohol is a depressant drug. This means that alcohol slows the function of the central nervous system when it enters the body. That’s why people’s perceptions, emotions, movements, vision, and hearing can be altered when they drink. Alcohol is often to referred to as the most dangerous drug because it’s so commonly abused and its dangers are often overlooked.

If the classification really bothers you, please substitute "drug" in my comment above with "alcohol". It makes no difference to the intended meaning of my comment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tropo said:

Here we go. It had to happen... someone wants to debate if alcohol is a drug or not. It most certainly is a drug which should be fairly obvious from its effects on the brain. 

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/alcohol-abuse/faq/is-alcohol-a-drug/

Is alcohol classified as a drug?

Alcohol is a depressant drug. This means that alcohol slows the function of the central nervous system when it enters the body. That’s why people’s perceptions, emotions, movements, vision, and hearing can be altered when they drink. Alcohol is often to referred to as the most dangerous drug because it’s so commonly abused and its dangers are often overlooked.

If the classification really bothers you, please substitute "drug" in my comment above with "alcohol". It makes no difference to the intended meaning of my comment.

What do you call a person who always has to have the last word in an argument?

I don’t think there is a specific label in English, so let’s invent one. How about “teleftalexic,” with the stress on “lex,” from the Greek for “last word”? Admittedly, that’s the modern Greek, not the ancient, but it’s the best I can do. It’s nice in that it yields a suitable tongue-twister: “teleftalexosis,” with the stress on “o,” a pathological insistence on getting in the last word.

But how about “bratty”? I think that covers it pretty well....:coffee1:

Edited by ttrd

4 minutes ago, ttrd said:

What do you call a person who always has to have the last word in an argument?

"ttrd" is what I'd call such a person at this point. You made a stupid comment, I replied with real information, and now you're upset.. and adding more nonsense to the discussion.

2 hours ago, Amusements said:

Is this Fake news?

I don't see Saudi Arabia (Alcohol 100% illegal) on top of the list of countries with the highest life expectancy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Well it is not fake news per se, the survey was very large and appears genuine, however the conclusions are idiotic. The increased risk of a drink a day is statistically insignificant. Driving is much more dangerous. The Docs demanded I stop drinking a few years ago. I am pleasantly surprised to find that I am enjoying my life fine, I'd rather drink though, or get high on a nice cocktail of other drugs if that were possible. 

Don't be a wimp, get stoned was always my approach, I don't regret it.

"Life is a sexually transmitted disease with100% mortality" (R.D.Laing)

29 minutes ago, tropo said:

"ttrd" is what I'd call such a person at this point. You made a stupid comment, I replied with real information, and now you're upset.. and adding more nonsense to the discussion.

You seem a bit tense, tropo.

Could I buy you a drink?

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, tropo said:

No Comment...:whistling:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

What would be a natural brewed beer according to you?

Naturtrub....i now have 0.5 liter cans of Franziskaner WeiB bier which is really awesome....80 cent for a half litercan in Jurrumanee. 

Nothing mentoned in this Doctors Report about Stress. Stress has got to be one of the worst things for you in every catigory, 

There is also no doubt in my mind that alcohol relieves Stress. There is nothing better after a hard day at work then a couple of cool ones or glass of wine to wind down. So alcohol may be harmful in some ways, but it has benefits to.

It was not that long ago that Doctors prescibed to Heart Patience a small bottle of alcohol to carry with them to slow there Heart down if it begun to race. Or give the Old Guys a shot of Hospital Brandy per day to help them sleep.     

This is rxactly, word for word, how the anti-smoking drive kicked off. It will come slow: fewer liquor licenses, earlier closings, no alcohol allowed in any home with children living or visiting there, 10x the current tax, no beer at sporting or music events, and so on. I love it!!! I smoke, seldom drink. So, if I don't do it no one should. RIght? Anywhere, ever, for any reason. Right? Health costs and all that. Example to the young ones.

4 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

This is rxactly, word for word, how the anti-smoking drive kicked off. It will come slow: fewer liquor licenses, earlier closings, no alcohol allowed in any home with children living or visiting there, 10x the current tax, no beer at sporting or music events, and so on. I love it!!! I smoke, seldom drink. So, if I don't do it no one should. RIght? Anywhere, ever, for any reason. Right? Health costs and all that. Example to the young ones.

I would say less alchohol would be to the better for the society, and not at least the children! The cost of alchohole abuse again the society have to pay as well, so the less people who drink to the better for the society. 

But it will only fuel the criminals, and we have seen it before, and I do not think it will go down that way again. 

So what is the solution? Up to you or the government how much you should drink? Humans is good taking care of themselves? 

35 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Nothing mentoned in this Doctors Report about Stress. Stress has got to be one of the worst things for you in every catigory, 

There is also no doubt in my mind that alcohol relieves Stress. There is nothing better after a hard day at work then a couple of cool ones or glass of wine to wind down. So alcohol may be harmful in some ways, but it has benefits to.

It was not that long ago that Doctors prescibed to Heart Patience a small bottle of alcohol to carry with them to slow there Heart down if it begun to race. Or give the Old Guys a shot of Hospital Brandy per day to help them sleep.     

The report said that on balance it lowers life expectancy. So that means whatever benefit there might be from stress reduction are outweighed by other harms.

15 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The report said that on balance it lowers life expectancy. So that means whatever benefit there might be from stress reduction are outweighed by other harms.

I guess that cough syrup really is a tradeoff then.

Next study being published soon.

"Breathing damages your lungs, the O2 should be mixed with cigarette smoke, to reduce stress on the Alveoli."

:laugh:?:smile:

I'm really not trolling, just highlighting the apparent lunacy that Science produces.

14 minutes ago, manarak said:

On a more serious note, "The Lancet" is a medical journal with a political agenda and the articles they choose to publish must fit in.

We can consider this study to be their opinion accompanied by some facts to support it, other studies have/will probably have slightly different findings.

You can consider it any way you like, but casting aspersions on scientific studies the results of which are unpleasing to you is not the way science is done.