Letter Confirming Thai Bank Balance - Moving Provinces

I plan to move provinces later this month and will of course report my new address at the nearest immigration office.

However I have a question regarding my next extension of stay (Basis Marriage).

I shall be required to produce a letter confirming my bank balance, I have simply left the required funds in an account that I use for no other reason.

This account is at a bank in the province where I now live.

My new address will be 700Kms away from that bank branch. (KasikornThai).

When it comes time to renew my extension of stay will a local Kasikorn branch at my new location be able to issue the necessary letter confirming bank balance for my account in another province?

Edited by Chomper Higgot

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

When it comes time to renew my extension of stay will a local Kasikorn branch at my new location be able to issue the necessary letter confirming bank balance for my account in another province?

Yes they will. 

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes they will. 

But I must go to the branch where my account is held for them to change personal details ie passport number in their computer, even if that were 700km away. 

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

I use the income method when applying for my extension but, with the erratic UK exchange rate, was thinking of changing. If using money in the bank and a letter from the bank, is your passport number a necessary part of the letter? 

I'm asking because the bank accounts I currently use were set up using my pink ID card and yellow book. The banks don't hold my passport details.

36 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I use the income method when applying for my extension but, with the erratic UK exchange rate, was thinking of changing. If using money in the bank and a letter from the bank, is your passport number a necessary part of the letter? 

I'm asking because the bank accounts I currently use were set up using my pink ID card and yellow book. The banks don't hold my passport details.

The letter I had simply gave details and balance of my account.

When I last did my extension, the immigration gyration officer asked for the letter and my bank book (which I had just updated). She then told me to go to the bank, make a small deposit to the account, update the bank book and bring it back to her.

I guess she was checking the account was ‘alive and well’ but it got me wondering what kind of ‘tricks’ she’d come across for her to ask me to go to such lengths. Everything else went easy as pie so I don’t think she was simply messing me around.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I use the income method when applying for my extension but, with the erratic UK exchange rate, was thinking of changing.

If you are worried about not meeting the 65k baht required on the date you apply your could put some money in the bank for 3 months and use the combination of the 2 if you came up short. I would guess 10k baht might be enough as a just in case amount.

• Like 1

They do have some of your passport details as I think, as like the Thai driving license, the number on your pink ID card is your passport number as they use this in place of the Thai ID card number which they would use if you were Thai...

On 8/24/2018 at 6:47 PM, tolsti said:

this may be a very original thought but have you tried asking them?

You're going to have to call or talk to the bank sooner or later. If they say no, open a new account at your local branch and transfer the money from your old account, assuming you're within the seasoning time frame.

I use the money in the bank method when extending my visa. I also use K-Bank here in Bangkok. I was told by two branches I could only get the letter from the branch where I opened the account. I've also been told the branch downstairs from the immigration office at Chaeng Wattana can issue the letter, although I've never tried to obtain one there. 

Edited by gjoo888

12 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

You're going to have to call or talk to the bank sooner or later. If they say no, open a new account at your local branch and transfer the money from your old account, assuming you're within the seasoning time frame.

I use the money in the bank method when extending my visa. I also use K-Bank here in Bangkok. I was told by two branches I could only get the letter from the branch where I opened the account. I've also been told the branch downstairs from the immigration office at Chaeng Wattana can issue the letter, although I've never tried to obtain one there. 

You can get a letter from any branch as long as the branch are willing to do it. Some won't, but there is no rule/reason why they can't.

My K-Bank branch is in Bangkok and I've had letters from CW and two other branches outside of Bangkok. 

10 hours ago, zyphodb said:

They do have some of your passport details as I think, as like the Thai driving license, the number on your pink ID card is your passport number as they use this in place of the Thai ID card number which they would use if you were Thai...

No, the number on the pink card is not Your passport number.

• Like 1

I just had this done through Kasi and not a problem at all... we made a deposit to the out of province account which confirmed the balance and they wrote a letter for immigration exactly the same process as I had been doing for many years. 

It can be done and maybe the only risk you run is that an individual employee might not know it can be done. 

23 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Although, if a foreigner uses his/her passport for ID when applying for a driving licence, the passport number is used as an ID number, if they use their pink ID card as ID instead, their ID card number is used in the same way as a Thai person's. The ID number on the pink ID card does not contain any of the passport number, it is completely different and a thirteen digit number that is set out 'x xxxx xxxxx xx x' in exactly the same format as a Thai person's ID number.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 10:03 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you are worried about not meeting the 65k baht required on the date you apply your could put some money in the bank for 3 months and use the combination of the 2 if you came up short. I would guess 10k baht might be enough as a just in case amount.

I do realize that and understand the system thanks.

Somebody mentioned their passport number was contained in their letter so I was merely asking if the passport number was definitely required in the letter because neither of the banks I currently use hold information about my passport.  

6 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Although, if a foreigner uses his/her passport for ID when applying for a driving licence, the passport number is used as an ID number, if they use their pink ID card as ID instead, their ID card number is used in the same way as a Thai person's. The ID number on the pink ID card does not contain any of the passport number, it is completely different and a thirteen digit number that is set out 'x xxxx xxxxx xx x' in exactly the same format as a Thai person's ID number.

Yes you're right, I just checked, I'm afraid I just assumed that they would use your passport number the same as they do with the driving license as that would be the simplest, logical thing to do, ha, TIT I should have guessed that they'd do something illogical just to complicate things more...

1 minute ago, zyphodb said:

Yes you're right, I just checked, I'm afraid I just assumed that they would use your passport number the same as they do with the driving license as that would be the simplest, logical thing to do, ha, TIT I should have guessed that they'd do something illogical just to complicate things more...

But it's not totally illogical............they use exactly the same format that they use for all Thai people?

Using the ID number the authorities can go directly to that person's details. The same number is used by the tax office so they can also access peoples employment history, education history, etc. And this way these records are available for foreigners who have (legally) worked in Thailand as well as everybody who possesses a pink ID card.

And most Thais don't even have a passport anyway, while ID cards are necessary for everybody over the age of seven.?

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1