USPS US to BKK - now "being held" but I've no idea where

pete66

I bought a bit of US computer furniture (keyboard shelf) on Amazon.com, and the seller sent it USPS.

Tracking Number: CJ480640567US

Status says:

"Your item could not be delivered on August 22, 2018 at 7:43 am in THAILAND due to payment of charges. It is being held while the addressee is notified."

That's fair enough. My condo office doesn't open until 8pm, and I wasn't told the package was on it's way anyway, so I had no way to get the parcel when it was first delivered.

I know I have to pay import duties, but how the heck do I find out where it's being held? They say the addressee is "being notified" but so far, no evidence of that. Should I be expecting a little card in the mail from the Thai postal service telling me the charge involved, and where to go to pick the item up? If so, how long does it take these things to be sent out?

It's the "not knowing anything" that worries me. I don't want this item being returned. The shipping is most of the cost ! ?

It's being held in a post office right? Not back at Thai customs?

Cheers,

13 minutes ago, pete66 said:

It's being held in a post office right?

The easiest to start with. Take your passport and a print of the tracking number and go to your local post office.

Likely it's held there.

Otherwise they can hopefully tell you if it is at customs office or where else.

Do you know where your post office is?

If not you should post your zip/postal code.

Location of Bangkok customs was explained in another thread.

I could search for it if relevant.

OP,  here's what I know about such things.

Not every local Thai Post office handles international package deliveries. But each Post Office area does have one specific post office that provides that service. So you can check with your local Post Office about whether they or a different location and which one handles international package deliveries for your address. And then go there to check if you desire.

Thai Post doesn't do attempted delivery cards. But they do, when tax and or customs duty is owed on a package, typically drop off a computer printout sheet of paper at your address via the regular mail delivery that will tell you where to go and how much is owed on that package. In my experience, the arrival of those money-owed Thai Post sheets often is days after the actual package has arrived to Thailand or Bangkok.

Also, you didn't say what site you were using to get your tracking info -- USPS or Thai Post. If you have a tracking number from the U.S., you can use that in the Thai Post website tracking function to see what their system is showing for your package.

I had a package from IHerb that was delayed in Germany 3 months. I was informed by Iherb it had arrived in Thailand went to the post office sorry no such package still in Germany. Finally got the package with a big hole in it and the Thai postal worker explained the package arrived this way and we put it in the plastic bag. Only one item missing and it was the one I wanted. I believe the thai worker is being honest because of the long delay in Germany. The crazy part is the tracking shows the package being routed around Germany and then sent back to the original warehouse. This was before being sent to Thailand. I Herb was of no help at all I told them cancell the order refund my money well this didn't happen until the second email enquirey.

Just go to any post office near you and they will tell you where your package is located, suprised not on the slip they left you when they could not deliver.

thanks all for the advice. I tracked the package on the thai post website, and this is the last entry. Does that mean it is at Bang Na Post Office?:

พุธ 22 สิงหาคม 2561
06:00-08:59 น.
บางนา สถานะการนำจ่าย ออกใบแจ้ง

Actually, that was the day they tried to deliver it, so I guess that was the delivery office it came from, rather than where it is now. But probably a good guess it is back there now right?

I had a similar situation.  Package was sent from Canada for my wife, from me.  The package "disappeared" from the tracking system, after arrive in Thailand.  Located it with the help of our local post office guy, at the customs office in Mukdahan.  The package had been sitting there for quite some time, and would have sat there for god knows how long, if the wife hadn't gone in looking for it (and paid a negotiated customs fee)

52 minutes ago, pete66 said:

thanks all for the advice. I tracked the package on the thai post website, and this is the last entry. Does that mean it is at Bang Na Post Office?:

พุธ 22 สิงหาคม 2561
06:00-08:59 น.
บางนา สถานะการนำจ่าย  ออกใบแจ้ง 

Yes it shows Bang Na.

Something about "status" "payment"?

Quite likely that you have to go there and pay customs.

Sounds like you already know where the Bang Na post office is.

Just in case:

https://goo.gl/maps/Zn5GBbiefw32

Archived