Which is the best phone and Internet services for use in Chiang Rai and other northern cities?

MadameM

We'll be in Chiang Rai at the end of this month. Someone suggests to find out which communication carrier is the best use (no or not too often lose connection) in Chiang Rai and Northern cities. I don't play game, banking, or do too much social media on a smart phone. I will do the Internet search for info. intensively and also use a great deal of Google Earth. I may need GPS once in a while, but not its fan. I think Google Earth is more fun to find the destination -- required a lot of brain work putting myself in the active, not passive, position.

I know many gurus in Thai Visa will kindly help me out. 

On top of the communication, I love watching Satellite TV. 

Do we have a carrier that provides phone, Internet connection, and satellite TV available in Chiang Rai? The Internet connection is my priority, anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Madame M the only one to do all is True corp. But to fulfill all your needs they are many ways of achieving that. I think it would all depend on what area and neighbourhood that you end up in. Then see what options are best for that internet infrastructure.  You would want to stay with core providers the one that the other buy from  like Cat, AIS, TOT and like I said True . BBB and others buy form the main Two CAT and TOT. so best to wait and see where you settle. But that all said there are many more knowledgeable than me  who I am sure will offer some helpful advice.

On 8/27/2018 at 2:25 PM, Randell said:

Hi Madame M the only one to do all is True corp. But to fulfill all your needs they are many ways of achieving that. I think it would all depend on what area and neighbourhood that you end up in. Then see what options are best for that internet infrastructure.  You would want to stay with core providers the one that the other buy from  like Cat, AIS, TOT and like I said True . BBB and others buy form the main Two CAT and TOT. so best to wait and see where you settle. But that all said there are many more knowledgeable than me  who I am sure will offer some helpful advice.

Thanks, Randell. I just got a smart phone in Bangkok using AIS sim. I hardly know anything. My friend arranged everything. I only have the free use of the Internet for a couple of days, so I'll have to decide quickly. 

I'll fly to Chiang Rai in the afternoon -- super excited.

On 8/31/2018 at 1:57 AM, Randell said:

Welcome to the Rai Madame M. You  have every right to be exited ,enjoy your self

Hello! Randell,

Yeap! I did enjoy the city -- even the traffic! Try to get to Central Plaza for the past two days, but can't find the parking spot. Will try again today. My hubby is getting homesick; he thinks McDonald at Central might help! ?

We rented a truck! It's a special promotion from Expedia and we made the reservation before we left the US. Even the hugh Toyota Hilux can be maneuvered around the crowded streets downtown. 

I'll take him to Mae Fah Luong U. Hospital today. The effect of travelling 20 hrs on plane is hurting his back. He needs to see a chiropractic or whoever the doctor will recommend.

On 8/31/2018 at 1:58 AM, Randell said:

Of Course that should have read excited ha 555

On 8/31/2018 at 1:58 AM, Randell said:

Of Course that should have read excited ha 555

Never mind, Randell. Human's brain is funny. It'll make sense out of any typo!

On 8/31/2018 at 12:22 AM, frodo77 said:

I am in Mae Lao, 20km from Chiang Rai city. I have 3BB fibre, and its much faster than the TOT fibre I had in Pattaya.

I am learning about these tech things here. Right now, the room we rent has WiFi, which I forgot to ask -- which carrier - and she is in England until the end of the month. We have True Vision Platinum packet through which my hubby can enjoy some of his favorite channels and CNN. We will definitely have True Vision at our house - when we finish building it. I am using AIS phone and Internet right now. It's O.K. and I still don't know much about the other providers. So far, we're happy like a little clam!  Except his homesick, of course.

Hello again Madame M  I have tried Tot BBB and now am with AIS Fiber and AIS for my phone. These are who I would recommend but as has been said you have to check which of the main 3 have main lines in the area where you will settle. I have found AIS works just about everywhere in Thailand. In our village outside Wiang Chai we have some dead spots for Dtac and True but AIS has never  dropped a call here. Of course that is just an opinion I am not a  competent  tech person.  By the way I hope your  husband got some relief at MFU Hospital. Try the Sizzler in the mall a big step up fro Mcdonalds all the best enjoy your stay and again welcome

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I'm in Chiang Mai, and over the past 10 years I've tried them ALL.  I  finally stuck with AIS as it seems to be the most dependable. 

I'm pretty much on AIS as well. I just had the package changed from traveler to 30-days with 1m.. something Internet speed. My phone works O.K. Also, I can call the US dialing 003 for 3 bahts per min. I tried this function and found that they charged me around $ 3.- not 3 Baht/min. So, I will keep 003 for something very importance.

2 hours ago, Randell said:

By the way I hope your  husband got some relief at MFU Hospital. Try the Sizzler in the mall a big step up fro Mcdonalds all the best enjoy your stay and again welcome

Thanks. And he did! He's been complaining of his back pain since Friday. Well! Twenty hours on plane from the US to Thailand and his age has something to do with this - I guess. I took him to MFL U. Hospital this morning to see a chiropractic and found that the chiropractor is on sabbatical leave. So, he went for Tradition Thai massage for the first time (that's what he told me ? ). He did enjoy the session. His mood has improved evidently. We went to have lunch at Central thereafter and he refused Sizzler. He had noodle at MK instead. He'll be back for the massage next week and wants to do this regularly - twice a week. He's so amaze how reasonable the cost is for his relief and relaxation.

Archived