Over 5,000 Parcels of Land Expected to be Expropriated for the New Airport

snoop1130

Over 5,000 Parcels of Land Expected to be Expropriated for the New Airport

by CityNews

1-370.jpg-370-1024x648.jpg

CityNews – The second Chiang Mai airport is proceeding as planned, with the expropriation of private land beginning next month.

Following the Airports of Thailand approval of new airport projects in Chiang Mai and Phuket with the budget of 125 billion baht, the board will be proceeding on the expropriation of private land.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/5000-parcels-land-expected-expropriated-new-airport/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-8-28

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

40 kilometres to the airport, madness.

Roll on the fast train, in Bkk and to my hotel several hours ahead of flying.

I can only guess you live quite a way out of the city as the proposed development is under 20km from the city I think.

As for the fast train, do you have a schedule. I thought is was to be here by now then there was the argument about just how fast is fast and how much it should cost. After that I have heard nothing so would appreciate an update if you have info, I don't even know the route! Many thanks.

Depending on the time of the day it could take a long time to get to say the old city from Banthi. One hour on the flight from Bangkok and more than one hour to get to Thapae Gate. Plus the cost of the transport. Getting to and from CM by air will become slower and more expensive which will be most notable on the domestic flights like Bangkok. The current city centre airport is a great asset for Chiang Mai.

52 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Depending on the time of the day it could take a long time to get to say the old city from Banthi. One hour on the flight from Bangkok and more than one hour to get to Thapae Gate. Plus the cost of the transport. Getting to and from CM by air will become slower and more expensive which will be most notable on the domestic flights like Bangkok. The current city centre airport is a great asset for Chiang Mai.

Not that everybody wants to go to Thapae Gate, which is in any case also not very fast. The problem is that the present airport is way above capacity, thanks mainly to the zillions chinese tourists. Parking is impossible, even walking from intl to domestic (two minutes normally) is hazardous due to the enormous check-in lines and the chinese (again) oblivious to the rest of the human race, you have to zig-zag due to the weird positioning of security with respect to escalators, there is not enough seating for waiting passengers, the taxi area is so full that it's almost impossible sometimes to get to the terminal even on foot. Need I go on...

It used to be as you say an asset, by now it's a nightmare. Not to mention the noise and risk in case of an accident.

I welcome the new airport, if and when it will come to reality, and I hope the land expropriation is done with some sense of fairness. In the deep of my heart, I have a wish that all the chinese flights and the low cost carriers are moved there and they leave the rest where they are now.

I also like the current airport location.

Not everybody goes to Tae Par gate from the airport, air passengers travel to dozens of different locations after arrival at the current CNX.

For me and family just a 10 - 12 minute drive, out the back gate onto Hang Dong Road, turn left at Big C / HomePro, within 7 or 8 minutes at home, very convenient. 

Yes it's now quite busy but I heard a Thai friend mention that there are / were plans and enough available space to make a  big increase in the overall size of the facilities / capacity, and to add an extra runway.

Supposedly also a future plan to build a new airport for international flights and continue the current airport for domestic flights.

Yes there is noise but nobody forced the people under the flight path to buy / build houses in that location. In fact some of the recent villages that have gone up are not cheap, so why pay big money to buy in a noisy location, there's many other new villages etc., around the greater CM area. 

I don't go to Thapae Gate either but its a common example of the middle of the city or maybe the three kings monument. The parking at the current airport and over crowding at busy times are things that can be improved by building a bigger terminal, multi story carpark etc. There is a lot of underused land around the airport used by various government agencies that could be put to better use. There is no reason the car park area at the back of Airport Plaza and Baan and Beyond cant be linked into the airport. The air force land is a waste of space. Do they need a city centre location as a training base for vintage aircraft? So there is lots of scope for improving the airport and access.

If the new airport is built and the old airport remains open for the air force and some domestic flights, you can guarantee air fares will increase which ever airport you use. The new airport will have higher charges because it cost billions to build. There will be a 500 baht transport charge each way (just a guess). The flights that still operate to the old airport will be more expensive because you will now have to pay a premium for the convenience and time savings. If it does cost 500 baht each way to get to the new airport this cost will be used to raise the airfares the old airport.

Nearly had a compulsory purchase order on our home for a "new road" that fortunately did not happen.

The  compensation bandied about at the time was around 60 per cent of the  cf the going property value. Hope that is not the case here.

The current airport is becoming a nightmare as experienced by us taking visitors there last week.

Apart from being run down by excited Chinese with trollies, maybe travelling for the first time, there wasn't a seat anywhere,not even in the coffee shops.

The car park was full and when we went to leave a tourist van was parked behind us with the hand brake on.Securities only answer was "he's gone to eat".   15 later he returned, not even a sorry.

Yes you can build multi story parking accom,upgrade the terminals, currently a bad joke but how do you solve the problem once out of the airport that Airport Plaza  intersection and Hang Dong is grid locked at times  now and no pedestrian access to even cross the road. 

More overpasses ? unlikely. Airport Plaza didnt even have to build a pedestrian  overpass when that was built.

Anyway it took Swampy 30 years from approval so lets not panic just fix the old airport problems, its second rate at best

10 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I don't go to Thapae Gate either but its a common example of the middle of the city or maybe the three kings monument. The parking at the current airport and over crowding at busy times are things that can be improved by building a bigger terminal, multi story carpark etc. There is a lot of underused land around the airport used by various government agencies that could be put to better use. There is no reason the car park area at the back of Airport Plaza and Baan and Beyond cant be linked into the airport. The air force land is a waste of space. Do they need a city centre location as a training base for vintage aircraft? So there is lots of scope for improving the airport and access.

If the new airport is built and the old airport remains open for the air force and some domestic flights, you can guarantee air fares will increase which ever airport you use. The new airport will have higher charges because it cost billions to build. There will be a 500 baht transport charge each way (just a guess). The flights that still operate to the old airport will be more expensive because you will now have to pay a premium for the convenience and time savings. If it does cost 500 baht each way to get to the new airport this cost will be used to raise the airfares the old airport.

It won't take an hour to get into the city from that location unless your cycling! The Lampang Chiang Mai highway is having major upgrades already. You could be at the moat in 30 min. It doesn't matter how much land is around the current airport, there is no room for another runway which is needed to cater to the demand so no choice but to build out of the city. They should extend mahidol Rd from the overpass at airport plaza over to Nimmen Rd then all the tourists have a straight shot to get to the area from the airport without stopping. I welcome the move. 

10 hours ago, Bung said:

It won't take an hour to get into the city from that location unless your cycling! The Lampang Chiang Mai highway is having major upgrades already. You could be at the moat in 30 min. It doesn't matter how much land is around the current airport, there is no room for another runway which is needed to cater to the demand so no choice but to build out of the city. They should extend mahidol Rd from the overpass at airport plaza over to Nimmen Rd then all the tourists have a straight shot to get to the area from the airport without stopping. I welcome the move. 

I based my guestimate on taking more than 1 hour to get to the city ( eg thapae gate old city) at peak times, on the time it can take from the old city to Arcade bus station during peak times. I have experienced 45 mins to do that short distance. Would 15 mins from Arcade to the new airport be possible at any time of the day be possible? I doubt it. So a rough guess 1 hour plus at peak times from the new airport to the old city(and other central locations). Longer than the flight from Bangkok.

As you are probably aware there are many airports around the world that have single runways and double the passengers numbers of Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai's runway has a long way to go before its at maximum capacity. There is space for multi storey car parks, bigger terminal and new access roads, sky train into the city? if the authorities want to go that way.

Whatever happens in the future CM definitely doesn't need two airports. Its a one or the other situation. If the current airport site was turned into a Central Park (NYC) type space that would be wonderful and great for CM.

10 hours ago, Bung said:

The new airport will be accessed by road 1317, not road 11 (superhighway).  lot's of traffic lights on 1317 & very busy out as far as outer ring road at peak times.  Overpasses at the ring road intersections would aid speedy journeys.

On 8/29/2018 at 2:42 AM, The Old Bull said:

I wonder if the land will be expropriated by the airport authority or by some shady broker?

Please explain the difference? ?

Surely, one and the same ? 

Influential people were pushing for a new airport to be built in the the San Khampaeng area when Thaksin was in charge 15 years ago. Investors in the loop were buying land with the intention that the state would buy it off them for profit. This is one of the reasons driving the need for a new airport in Banthi. People commenting that they hope the landowners will be compensated don't need to worry.  

Archived