PM Prayut opposes plan for higher driving licence penalties

webfact

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

Just a good political move if elections are coming? 

A better move would be to just say it is a decision left to an elected government.  We all fear of an upcoming sham, but at least he shows some respect to the process and the feeling of the Thai people.  But I just feel he isn't that smart.  He just does not come off smart all, just a tool, a puppet for others to control. 

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

It's a vote loser.

The sole reason for his opposition.

5 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

The only reason he said this is he wants more votes in the "coming" election, what a fake.

5 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

Dont need to be a 'rocket scientist' to read/see the push back thats come from the general public... it would be a huge vote loss if he goes with it... nuff said!!

5 hours ago, z42 said:

More populist spin from this buffoon to craft some wonderful image of him as wanting to side with the downtrodden.

But how many locals will see through the facade I wonder......

My first thoughts when I read the headline.  Law enforcement? Motor vehicle accidents? Deaths? They're rivial matters compared to votes.

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Your first idea will not work,people need their vehicles to work and transport the family,too harsh for Thailand.

Second idea is also over the top,how will a poor family with two kids be able to go anywhere?Also too harsh.Maybe send kids home who arrive in school without a DP and or a helmet?They would just park on the road somewhere!!

Teaching kids road safety in school is a really good idea,i hope they will start something like that!!!

They already issue a temporary license,after dark the police over here do not work.

"Teaching kids road safety in school is a really good idea". and just who is qualified in the average Thai

school to teach anyone road safety? It is not uncommon to see a teacher riding without a helmet and

with a couple of kids on the back seat.

• Like 1

Rising the fines for no licences isn't going to reduce accidents. If people can afford a vehicle, they afford getting a licence.

It will be impossible to stop the corruption of the police.

Here are some ways to help stop accidents and deaths on the roads,

1. Get the police to do their job other than when they have a road block.

2. Impound any and all vehicles that the driver/rider hasn't got a licence. Can be returned when they can produce a      licence at a cost.

3. If under age for driving/riding, again impound the vehicle and go after the parents.

4. Stop kids using motorbikes for school and supply buses.

5. A more comprehensive test when applying for a licence.

Here's a thought. I wonder how many police have a licence? 

9 hours ago, Enoon said:

It's a vote loser.

The sole reason for his opposition.

Not just that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this wasn't a set up from the start to give him something to oppose that would increase his popularity, which must be pretty close to rock bottom I'd have thought.

Or maybe this is being a bit too clever for them, what does everyone else think?

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Let me tell you, you can’t blame everything on driving-licence violations,” General Prayut said

And let me tell you, neither can you blame everything on drunk drivers, so leave then alone too.

oh wait... that’s right... never seen a booze stop round about mine.... so carry on ?

This issue is intended to avoid focussing on the real issue - lack of law enforcement for those using the roads in a reckless and dangerous way

Police avoiding doing their job and looking for a side show to let their wallets grow fatter - Parasites

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:00 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

"...“I disagree with the plan,” General Prayut announced yesterday. .."

What a gutless wuss! The only reason that the plan had been discussed was to see if they could get away with giving police a major source of new funds (can anyone say "pre-election give away"). Now that it has hit public resistance (for good reason), the so-called 'brave' PM has scurried away like a cockroach.

It is and always was a stupid idea. Sure, Thai people should have a licence and everyone wants to see better road safety, but this new law wouldn't do that. Instead, it would have given the police the leverage to demand even more "fines" with the threat of sending people to court with all the hassle and loss that entails. Further, the idea that the police wouldn't have taken advantage is laughable; 'here is a new means that you can use to collect even more cash, but we don't expect the police to treat it as such'.

Riiiiiiiiight. Puleeeeeeeze.

If you want to improve road safety, and I hope you do, then force the police to get off their collective asses and patrol. Make them spend a month out on the street forcing people to drive better under threat of fines. After a month or so, then have them actually give fines in a reasonable manner. 

THAT is how you improve road safety, not by some bureaucrat sitting in an office somewhere issuing gigantic fines for not having correct paperwork, but by actually doing something.

This Thai predilection of using bureaucratic, paperwork-based "policies" is ludicrous. Meaningless laws that aren't enforced are a waste of everyone's time. If you seriously want to improve road safety, then you need enforcement of laws already on the books; THAT is how you implement change.

You and most "farangs" forget one thing .

The police are also Thai with the same Thai mindset.

When a police officer is off duty and out of uniform he drives a car or motorcycle like any other Thai.

The Prime Minister recognises this (he is also Thai) and therefore opposes these crazy fines.

On 8/28/2018 at 10:07 PM, MaxYakov said:

The General is correct. Cannot blame everything on "driving-license violations", but traffic law enforcement has to start somewhere, why not with licenses? Forgot your license? Bring it to court. What, future court date not possible? TiT.

Licence or license.

4 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

Licence or license.

Color or colour? Tire or Tyre? Hood or bonnet, Sabre or saber? Sidewalk or pavements? Team were or Team was? American or British English? I was quite aware I had swapped the British "licence" for the American and wondered if anybody would notice (believe it or not). Looks like you, at least, did. Technically, I should have not made that swap because I had indicated a quotation, yes? Anyway, Wiki prefers the American spelling (link):

A license (American English) or licence (British English) is an official permission or permit to do, use, or own something (as well as the document of that permission or permit). A license may be granted by a party to another party as an element of an agreement between those parties.

You should be aware by now that there is a strong British presence in the articles and replies on this forum, yes?

On 8/29/2018 at 6:06 AM, Prairieboy said:

A few ideas to complement the increased fines and to reduce the carnage on the roads:

Immediately confiscate vehicles from unlicensed operators - vehicles to be held until the operator has successfully completed the requisite training and has been issued a license.

Immediately confiscate motorcycles with helmetless drivers and/or passengers.  (Impose a 10,000 baht on the parents of the underage driver).  Seize all motorcycles with more than 2 persons aboard.

The above obviously requires the police force to enforce the laws.  Following is a proactive solution to reducing accidents and deaths.

Do away with the current non-academic subjects in schools and replace with mandatory driver education starting at 12 years old (focusing on safety, road etiquette, and vehicle care and control).  The theoretical aspects of driving would then to be complemented by on-the-road practical driving under the tutelage of a qualified instructor beginning at age 14.  No driving permit issued until successful completion of the foregoing to be confirmed by an independent testing agent at the LTD who could then issue a 2-year probationary license.  (Restrictions may include daylight driving only, no passengers (motorcycles), or a limited number if in a pick-up or automobile.)

Good ideas but there is still the major issue of ensuring that licences are not simply given in exchange for brown envelopes. There really needs to be an independent, incorruptible watchdog at every step.  But then if they had this to oversee enforcement of existing laws all the other problems would go away.

• Thanks 1