National Thai police chief orders investigation into how traffic cops are "rewarded"

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the committee who are going to investigate this issue will also put there hand in the tin for a piece of the pie. You get to love the Thai investigations where money is concerned - you scratch my back and I also scratch yours. Remember when the fish begins to stink it begins at the head. 

I suggest a change of Police Chief is in order if he needs a committee to investigate how police supplement their income.  A trawl through bank balances would show that, like Prawit on an annual stipend of under 100,000, he has managed to save 5 million for each of the last 6 years.  Cops imitate their masters.

I regularly see traffic police in a local market town, each with a handful of tickets, looking for someone to book. As they linger around, a dozen or so motorcycles pass by them, most have three on board, no helmets, underage and a silencer with baffles removed. No action is taken so who or what are the police looking for ?.........

4 hours ago, Humpy said:

I regularly see traffic police in a local market town, each with a handful of tickets, looking for someone to book. As they linger around, a dozen or so motorcycles pass by them, most have three on board, no helmets, underage and a silencer with baffles removed. No action is taken so who or what are the police looking for ?.........

'Falang' with money? :whistling: 

Just a thought that popped into my head.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:45 PM, jaltsc said:

"...set up a committee to review how officers are rewarded for issuing traffic tickets."

He has lived in Thailand all his life, and we are supposed to believe that a tourist who has been here for a few days knows more about the "custom" of tea money than he does? That being said. Let's assume he is serious. He needs a committee? All he needs to do is count and use logic. If someone gets paid 15,000 baht a month and is able to pay personal expenses of 50,000+ a month, he is getting "rewarded" from a source other than his salary.

Your a mathematician man , brilliant

On 8/29/2018 at 11:36 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

There is the answer. ALL of the police activity is about revenue raising and ZERO on enforcing road rules for safety.

That is what needs to change if the death toll is to come down.

A little while ago I read that from May the 5th every person riding on a motor cycle must wear a safety helmet .From observation it looks as if Thais have read it as no need to wear a  safety helmet after the 5th of May

On 8/29/2018 at 7:16 PM, sinbin said:

Their basic pay is shit.

It's not! Compared to an average laborer in an industrial estate who works constantly active 8 hours per shift, they earn about 50% more. For sitting around, playing with their mobile phones, causing traffic chaos during peak times, doing private red-light drives ...

8 hours ago, rebo said:

Compared to an average laborer in an industrial estate who works constantly active 8 hours per shift, they earn about 50% more.

You have a link to that? Even if it's true why shouldn't a policeman receive 50% more? After all he has to buy all his own uniforms, gun and bullets, shoes etc etc. All these need replacing over time so that extra 50% isn't really there is it? 

In June 2015, the Bangkok Post reported that, "Thai police officers are paid around 14,760 baht per month (6,800–8,340 baht for entry level) and have to buy their own guns and even office supplies." He posits that one reason salaries are so low is that the sheer number of officers is staggering, roughly 250,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Police

Whatever they are paid, it is blatantly clear that they are inefficient on a widespread scale with a ‘questionable’ control structure. They are paid peanuts, so get monkeys.
I believe standards of recruits needs go up with an increased pay structure and they also need to get rid-off the legions of ‘dead-wood’ officers.
Rant over!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, rebo said:

doing private red-light drives ...

Not all policemen work in areas where there are red-lights. I live in a village and all the police I know personally have 2 jobs or their wife has to work. The second jobs are either farming, shop owner or restaurant owner. None, as far as I know gain monies from illegal sources. By the way I've never met a more sociable bunch of Thais.

Not all policemen work in areas where there are red-lights. I live in a village and all the police I know personally have 2 jobs or their wife has to work. The second jobs are either farming, shop owner or restaurant owner. None, as far as I know gain monies from illegal sources. By the way I've never met a more sociable bunch of Thais.

You have never paid a copper 200b for a ‘dubious’ road stop whilst driving???
If not, you must never go out your village. Please explain, as I am surprised by your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^

I admit I did once, well my wife did. It was the first time I got stopped. I was pulled in by the 'Highway Police'. The guy claimed I was speeding. I wasn't but the missus gave him a 100 Baht. I asked for the receipt to which he replied 'go to Buriram and get it'. Cocky bastard.

I did get a ticketed fine for driving my new car without red plates. Dealers told me they didn't have any and it'd be okay. Like a fool I believed them. Other than that if I get stopped and they won't issue a ticket I do not pay.

Archived