NACC remains ‘inconclusive’ over purchase of bogus detection devices

webfact

NACC remains ‘inconclusive’ over purchase of bogus detection devices

By THE NATION

9054cf2792c965df0a0c3a1068016217.jpeg

IT IS difficult for the nation’s anti-graft agency to conclude whether there was any wrongdoing in the Bt1.13-billion purchase of fake “remote substance detectors”, a member of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) said yesterday.

Surasak Keereevichien said it was likely that officials had decided to purchase the devices because they believed the devices would work.

“Sometimes, it is not about the value of devices. It’s more about belief, just like when you buy Buddha amulets,” Surasak said. “Officials who used this device found it worth the price. But some people see the price as too high.” 

The commissioner said his agency would come up with a clear-cut conclusion on the matter “at an appropriate time”. 

“The NACC will not allow the statute of limitations to expire,” he said. 

The NACC is investigating the purchase of GT200 and Alpha 6 hand-held devices from a UK-based manufacturer, who claimed these devices could detect explosives and drugs etc from a distance. 

When asked if a recent court verdict against certain Phitsanulok state officials could serve as a precedent for similar cases, Surasak said the officials were found guilty of purchasing items without authority, not because the devices were unusable. 

Between 2005 and 2010, 15 state agencies bought 1,398 GT200 and Alpha 6 devices for a combined Bt1.13 billion. After the devices failed scientific tests, the UK government in January 2010 banned their export and warned foreign governments that they were “wholly ineffective”.

In February 2010, the government led by Abhisit Vejjajiva ordered scientific tests of the GT200 to verify its claimed effectiveness. The tests found that the GT200’s detection rate was no more effective than random chance.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30353283

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-30

"...IT IS difficult for the nation’s anti-graft agency to conclude whether there was any wrongdoing in the Bt1.13-billion purchase of fake “remote substance detectors”, a member of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) said yesterday...

...Sometimes, it is not about the value of devices. It’s more about belief, just like when you buy Buddha amulets,” Surasak said. “Officials who used this device found it worth the price. But some people see the price as too high..."

What a load of crap!

It is not difficult for the nation's anti-graft agency to conclude that there was wrong-doing, rather it is difficult for the nation's anti-graft agency to name to the culprits as many of them are coup-leaders and high-ranking military and/or civilians.

The NACC is once again demonstrating that it is a body with zero credibility, integrity or an ability to prosecute anyone unless they are political enemies of the 'Greens' and 'Yellows'. This blatant embarrassment of a  justice system means that Thailand will be known as a third-world country long into the future; a country that cannot prosecute a simple case of stupidity and fraud like this is unable to be taken seriously for any case.

It is amazing that a culture/country which places so much emphasis on 'Face" allows itself to be humiliated for the 'protection' of its self-designated leaders. 

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

Between 2005 and 2010, 15 state agencies bought 1,398 GT200 and Alpha 6 devices for a combined Bt1.13 billion. After the devices failed scientific tests, the UK government in January 2010 banned their export and warned foreign governments that they were “wholly ineffective”.

The reason they were “wholly ineffective”?

Inside the GT200 was just an extremely cheap novelty unit marketed as a "golf ball finder".

Not sure which was the bigger con - the GT200 or a Buddha amulet.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“Sometimes, it is not about the value of devices. It’s more about belief, just like when you buy Buddha amulets,” Surasak said. “

Next time Thailand's in a war, I'll send this guy to the frontline with a pellet gun. It's all about belief, right?

“Officials who used this device found it worth the price. But some people see the price as too high.” 

Difficult to respond to this. Let me just quickly hammer a nail into my head. *tap* *tap* *tap*. Ok, I'm sufficiently dumb enough to respond:

"Some people" - well, even the guy who sold it thought the price was high BECAUSE THEY WERE FAKE! And the officials who used them were probably too scared to tell the higher ups that they didn't work. And the higher ups? Well, the current Minister of Something (who gives a shit anymore) famously came out and stated that the devices did in fact work even though the seller admitted they were fake. ?

Officials who used this device found it worth the price

So a device that cost the country a billion baht and does nothing it claims to do is said to be worth the price results in the statement "difficult for the nation’s anti-graft agency to conclude whether there was any wrongdoing". Yeah that sounds really difficult to figure out. The anti-graft agency should be fired for not doing their job and all their bank accounts investigated.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

IT IS difficult for the nation’s anti-graft agency to conclude whether there was any wrongdoing in the Bt1.13-billion purchase of fake “remote substance detectors”, a member of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) said yesterday.

“Officials who used this device found it worth the price.

Fake devices were worth the price...………..Yeah.Ok………...We trust you!...……...No graft there.

Hey....

Prayuth himself gave them the thumbs up so that should be all the proof the NACC need that everything was above board.

When a man of integrity approves of something then you know the NACC will be unable or unwilling to find fault.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Sometimes, it is not about the value of devices. It’s more about belief, just like when you buy Buddha amulets

Imagine something like this was said about bogus airport security equipment. 

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

... Inside the GT200 was just an extremely cheap novelty unit marketed as a "golf ball finder".

As a techie and former Peace Corps Volunteer, I'm all about "appropriate technology".  Also, as a salesman for 20+ years thereafter, I don't blame the company for selling them something to help them find their balls.

6 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

As a techie and former Peace Corps Volunteer, I'm all about "appropriate technology".  Also, as a salesman for 20+ years thereafter, I don't blame the company for selling them something to help them find their balls.

Perhaps you could check and see if the PM has found his.

IIRC he was in charge of the golf ball finder purchase when he was army chief/whatever position at the time.

2 hours ago, SABloke said:

Next time Thailand's in a war, I'll send this guy to the frontline with a pellet gun. It's all about belief, right?

Difficult to respond to this. Let me just quickly hammer a nail into my head. *tap* *tap* *tap*. Ok, I'm sufficiently dumb enough to respond:

"Some people" - well, even the guy who sold it thought the price was high BECAUSE THEY WERE FAKE! And the officials who used them were probably too scared to tell the higher ups that they didn't work. And the higher ups? Well, the current Minister of Something (who gives a shit anymore) famously came out and stated that the devices did in fact work even though the seller admitted they were fake. ?

The only belief that counts at the NACC is the belief that a bulky brown envelop lies at the end of a ridiculous statement that this “ official” made.

The guy who committed the fraud   and sold the useless devices

to the Thai government,is well into his prison sentence ,while here

they are still trying to cover their <deleted>,by debating wether the

devices worked or not. 

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, SABloke said:

Yep!. Could have saved heaps of money on submarines by believing they were Aquaman.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It is not difficult for the nation's anti-graft agency to conclude that there was wrong-doing, rather it is difficult for the nation's anti-graft agency to name to the culprits as many of them are coup-leaders and high-ranking military and/or civilians.

Concur with you 110%. Ahbisit cabinet approved the purchase and probably have their arm twisted since his government was handed to him on a silver platter by the military. General Anupong who is the present Interior Minister signed the procurement order. 

Any wrong-doing indicted by the NACC will open up an ugly can of worms for those soldiers injured or killed using the faulty equipment. I hope PTP pr FFP will include in their manifesto to bring charges to the NACC President for dereliction of duty and reform the much tainted NACC. 

59 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not just Thailand but several countries were "had" by these devices. All appeared to be "third world" countries.

Achieved by a slick salesman with a bag of brown envelopes.

Exactly some excess stock getting moved for cents on the $ and then sold at an overinflated price. As the saying goes. Buy cheap buy twice.

Archived