Thalasemia

redbicycle

My niece got thalasemia, she need breathing device to survive now. SHe is in chiang rai hospital now , any hematologist to recommend in chiang rai ??

The hospital should be able to recommend one if there is one available in CR. I just talked to my wife and she said that when she was at Suan Dok (Maharaj Chiang Mai University Hospital) they had Hematologists on staff. Although it may be more convenient to be in CR, specialty medical services are probably better handled in Chiang Mai or even Bangkok.

The disease is normally, as you probably already know, handled with blood transfusions on a bi weekly basis.

There are a couple of places you may be able to get more information:-

Hemoglobal This is based in Canada and deals with Siri lanka but may be able to put you on to a Thai alternative.

Canadian site with lots of info.

Thai Society of hematology

Hope that helps some.

My niece got thalasemia, she need breathing device to survive now. SHe is in chiang rai hospital now , any hematologist to recommend in chiang rai ??

The hospital should be able to recommend one if there is one available in CR. I just talked to my wife and she said that when she was at Suan Dok (Maharaj Chiang Mai University Hospital) they had Hematologists on staff. Although it may be more convenient to be in CR, specialty medical services are probably better handled in Chiang Mai or even Bangkok.

The disease is normally, as you probably already know, handled with blood transfusions on a bi weekly basis.

There are a couple of places you may be able to get more information:-

Hemoglobal This is based in Canada and deals with Siri lanka but may be able to put you on to a Thai alternative.

Canadian site with lots of info.

Thai Society of hematology

Hope that helps some.

Thanks lukmar , its help ...... deferoxamine is expensive for the this her family definately but My sister has promised to help ( tho i dun know how long she will help)

Thanks lukmar , its help ...... deferoxamine is expensive for the this her family definately but My sister has promised to help ( tho i dun know how long she will help)

My wife is not familiar with that drug but she said that the 30 BT system, as long as she is in the 30 Bt system, should cover some of the cost unless they have changed the rules since we moved to Canada.

You should contact the Thai Society of Hematology, website above, as they may have some programs that you may be able to get her on, My Thai is not good enough to sort through the information. From their website 30% of the cases in Thailand are in the North so they recognize the problem and they had a 10 year plan starting in 2001 so it should be well on it's way to implementation at this point. They may be able to put you in touch with other NGO's that may be able to help.

My wife is not familiar with that drug but she said that the 30 BT system, as long as she is in the 30 Bt system, should cover some of the cost unless they have changed the rules since we moved to Canada.

You should contact the Thai Society of Hematology, website above, as they may have some programs that you may be able to get her on, My Thai is not good enough to sort through the information. From their website 30% of the cases in Thailand are in the North so they recognize the problem and they had a 10 year plan starting in 2001 so it should be well on it's way to implementation at this point. They may be able to put you in touch with other NGO's that may be able to help.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the 30baht scheme has been abolished and been replaced by free medical care for those people that qualify.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the 30baht scheme has been abolished and been replaced by free medical care for those people that qualify.

The system was not abolished it was just renamed as all the services are exactly the same from what I understand from my wife who keeps quite updated.... But it will probably be called the 30 Bt system for the next 20+ years. Like in Canada where we have Universal Health Care, that was originally called Medicare and 50 years later it's still referred to as Medicare even on the Official Health Canada site...LOL

We also found a websitew for the Thalassemia Foundation of Thailand It's also mostly in Thai but has lots of info.

Edited by lukamar