Re roof flat(ish) tin roof to cool

notrub

Hello again,  Here we are in rural Isaan, land of the endless rice fields.  A bit like the flat praires in Canada but here they have left more trees in place.  Better.

My inlaws live in the village in a fairly substantial house, Thai style but OK.  It was built in stages by grand dad, who is no longer with us, and some of it is very good.  An area of about 5x5 meters was simply covered with a layer of tin onto a wood frame, however.  Is it ever hot in that area of the house.  So, I would like to recover the roof with a view to lowering the temperatures in there a bit.  I have built many new roofs of all description and re roofed plenty of houses and buildings too.  But where I worked we were concerned about the inclement weather although keeping out the sun heat was a consideration too.  I know what I would do there but I am not aware of what options are available here.

What I am after are some light weight panels that have an ok looking effective robust heat barrier coating on the underside.  As it stands now I will just rip off the old tin and re cover with a new insulated product and also incorporate a couple of translucent panels too.   The panels could be metal or a  cementitious product or another type of product that I am unaware of.

Who knows what that panels are and who makes it please?  I have found that good, knowledgeable advice can be hard to come by and have been told 'facts' that I happen to know are not true.  Things as simple as the sun rising in the west and water does not naturally flow uphill, for example.

I am a bit familiar with Diamond roofing and siporex blocks and an obvious direction would be to seek their help.  They would not, of course, inform me about an innovative  product that they do not produce.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance for your help.  I looked up the list of on line suppliers and the advice to do so was good.  Thanks. 

Notrub

Even a very thin layer of insulation on underside will keep it much cooler and deaden the rain noise.  I have for an open garage area and it is much cooler than when had PVC panels.  Expect the thicker insulated versions would be even better for home use.  

http://www.kssthailand.com/roofing/sheet-metal-roofing/

I did not do it myself and I don't have any particulars, (I payed a uncle to do it) , but while I was in Thailand a few months, (split my time between Thailand and US for many years) I had Mother In Law's house (my wife owns it) metal roof redone. Uncle purchased the metal panes at a roofing place on Mitraphap  rd  (not sure if I spelled it right)  . It was relatively inexpensive ,  a nice blue color, (it came in many colors) and it had insulation attached to the underside. They also bend panels to make these curved owning type panels there.

It made a big difference on Keeping the upstairs cooler.

I am sure others will chime in soon with more specific info

Good luck

Edited by sirineou

There's many roof products in Thailand from single skin roof to underlined insulation to single skin roof, to double skin insulated applications to composite sheets and the many tile & slate like products.

If it's simple single skin metal roof in good condition and your happy as it is you can ceiling underline it and installing insulation. 

If roof is too low, batten it insulate and single skin it again.