Governor lowers boom on Phuket tour boat safety

webfact

Governor lowers boom on Phuket tour boat safety

1536039937_1-org.jpg

Tourism Minister Weerasak Kowsurat (left) is briefed at the Phuket Marine Office at Chalong Pier on Aug 20, nearly two weeks ago, but since then very little progress has been made in enforcing the new ’Phuket Marine Safety Plan’. Photo: PR Dept / file

PHUKET: Officials have been given seven days to ensure that at least passenger manifests on tour boats departing Phuket are accurate and filed with authorities following an order from Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong at a meeting early today (Sept 4).

The move follows 47 Chinese tourists being killed in the Phoenix tour boat disaster on July 5, which spurred a raft of safety provisions and a call by Tourism Minister Weerasak Kowsurat to request a budget of B508 million to roll out the ‘Phuket Marine Safety Plan’.

Governor Norraphat last month confirmed that teams of officials already had been dedicated to carrying out inspections at 24 busy tour-boat piers on the island.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/governor-lowers-boom-on-phuket-tour-boat-safety-68504.php#uOH7XemdAsY7pz41.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-04
  • Thanks 1

Just now, huuwi said:

should, have you ever tried to contact anyone on 16? good luck.

they should have there own channel anounced.

Yes I have and it works. Channel 16 is the emergency channel as I am sure you know. When I was Offshore we always, as per requirements, monitored channel 16. When we wanted to talk to a supply vessel for example we would ask the vessel to switch to another channel. It is not as you think impossible it all part of SOLAS and should always be monitored

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, upu2 said:

Yes I have and it works. Channel 16 is the emergency channel as I am sure you know. When I was Offshore we always, as per requirements, monitored channel 16. When we wanted to talk to a supply vessel for example we would ask the vessel to switch to another channel. It is not as you think impossible it all part of SOLAS and should always be monitored

and where did you work offshore. on my trips to port blair (india) it works perfect, but here in phuket....not.

44 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

As we expected no progress, talk, talk no action.

Don't know why you reach that conclusion.

We can not leave from Chalong pier before the passenger manifest has been approved by the navy.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Don't know why you reach that conclusion.

We can not leave from Chalong pier before the passenger manifest has been approved by the navy.

I reach that conclusion based on the story that states "very little progress has been made in enforcing the new ’Phuket Marine Safety Plan"

As you have first hand experience on this perhaps you can help us out, the Navy is enforcing the new rules, clearly a positive move. 

So what exactly is this story referring to if the Governor is ordering his people to do what the Navy appears to be doing.

Who in fact has the responsibility to enforce these new rules?

"PHUKET: Officials have been given seven days to ensure that at least passenger manifests on tour boats departing Phuket are accurate and filed with authorities following an order from PhuketGovernor Norraphat Plodthong at a meeting early today (Sept 4)."

Finally progress, now they'll have an accurate victim count. Whether they divulge it is another matter. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, 1duckyboy said:

"PHUKET: Officials have been given seven days to ensure that at least passenger manifests on tour boats departing Phuket are accurate and filed with authorities following an order from PhuketGovernor Norraphat Plodthong at a meeting early today (Sept 4)."

Finally progress, now they'll have an accurate victim count. Whether they divulge it is another matter. 

Divulge it? The 'national security' trump card will come out.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials have been given seven days to ensure that at least passenger manifests on tour boats departing Phuket are accurate and filed with authorities following an order from Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong at a meeting early today

Perfect, that will do nothing but cause a hassle. But don't worry about seaworthiness of the scows (I mean vessels), maintenance, or qualifications of the captain and crew etc. 

>>>budget of B508 million to roll out the ‘Phuket Marine Safety Plan’.

Sounds like a fantastic earner.  Amazing how the whole of the island can't get any money for proper lifeguards to take care of it's most valuable asset, yet 17 million USD can be thrown around for a "safety plan". 

manifest documentation is of course important, and looks very good to tourists as they board their boat.

but more important is the sea worthiness of said boats,  maybe a system like the hygiene one in UK should be used.

rating of 1 - 5, ( 1 being poor ) and the number displayed prominently on each boat.

at least that way the pasengers can be sure that each boat has been inspected.

On 9/5/2018 at 12:04 PM, steelepulse said:

>>>budget of B508 million to roll out the ‘Phuket Marine Safety Plan’.

Sounds like a fantastic earner.  Amazing how the whole of the island can't get any money for proper lifeguards to take care of it's most valuable asset, yet 17 million USD can be thrown around for a "safety plan". 

The money is always available including budgets for Lifeguards, however it rarely gets spent on the intended project it gets pocketed by the officials who make the request, only a small percentage of the original amount is spent on the project.

On 9/4/2018 at 4:40 AM, MekkOne said:

another newspaper that deserve to be persecuted for ruining the good name of Thailand.

You've got  to be kidding... H ow  about tourism boat safety? I f you were a relative of one of those killed, I would bet your attitude would be different.

3 hours ago, TMNH said:

You've got  to be kidding... H ow  about tourism boat safety? I f you were a relative of one of those killed, I would bet your attitude would be different.

Whatever...

Edited by MekkOne
whatever