I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I owned rental condo's in Bangkok, and honestly ฿2K is going to get you nothing in any major city.
In Podunk Central my wife's cousin has some one room rentals, and they are ฿1k

Some of these rooms seem cheap but come with backend expenses, ie they are so far out you need to pay 100 baht to get to the food market or rent a motorbike, there's nothing to do so you spend more drinking all the time etc etc.

the poor don't really ever save money on housing they just get poorer

wow, that seems cheap...

but, "where's the beef!" "Wheeeere's the beef!!"

Edited by Dick Crank

On 10/14/2018 at 6:36 PM, meechai said:

That of course is an excellent reason????

Excellent indeed, but quoting the cheap price of vegetables is a false economy if he means to. Provide them with decent schooling. 

Of course if he's happy with public education, that's great, but I can't see how any parent truly would be if other options exist. 

On 9/5/2018 at 3:36 PM, ReneTH said:

Well, I doubt it be better in neighbouring countries then as well... Even if the 40k decreased 15% more, he still be fine (if using a different path to obtain the visa as of financial proof).

But if any, I guess i would switch between Cambodia, Laos and Thailand for averages and fun.

I dont get how you live any cheaper if mooving between three places like that?

Visa and travel costs, lugging all your stuff around, constantly finding new appartments..

and you would be paying daily rate as its only short stay, no?

then there is the security deposit on each place?

IMO it would not be worth all the trouble, especially in Thailand since you will always get a few who make up B.S escuse not to give your deposit back.

On 10/22/2018 at 6:37 PM, spidermike007 said:

And one has to wonder why they insist that foreigners who want to live here, have an income that is two to four times that of the Thai lower class, which is the vast majority of the population. This administration is particularly surly towards ex-pats. Well done Little P. You are chasing good men away. 

On the surface that is a very reasonable question, but because of the special attractiveness of Thailand as a place to live, Thailand has come to the conclusion, fully merited or not, that those residential expats at the lower end of the economic spectrum present a significantly higher risk, so the income/asset bar is set higher.

Edited by SheungWan

28 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

On the surface that is a very reasonable question, but because of the special attractiveness of Thailand as a place to live, Thailand has come to the conclusion, fully merited or not, that those residential expats at the lower end of the economic spectrum present a significantly higher risk, so the income/asset bar is set higher.

But a Burmese or Cambodian working for 150bht/day on a building site is more than welcome.

59 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Visa and travel costs, lugging all your stuff around, constantly finding new appartments..

and you would be paying daily rate as its only short stay, no?

then there is the security deposit on each place?

VISA and travel costs would be negligible, plenty of monthly apartments for 6000bht/month.

Although I wouldn't bother with Laos as it's dead boring and I would substitute Vietnam.

Not all that keen on Cambodia either, would replace that with the Philippines.

Malasia gives you a free 90-day waiver on entry. Some good beaches around Kuala Lumpur.

China is huge, and the VISA isn't expensive for non-Americans (1,000bht).

It's not as if there's any shortage of countries around here for expats to live and have a bit of fun.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

VISA and travel costs would be negligible, plenty of monthly apartments for 6000bht/month.

Although I wouldn't bother with Laos as it's dead boring and I would substitute Vietnam.

Malasia gives you a free 90-day waiver on entry. Some good beaches around Kuala Lumpur.

It's not as if there's any shortage of countries around here for expats to live and have a bit of fun.

It's a different ball game accessing cheap (6k) local apartments in countries other then thailand without knowing the ropes. Even if you could you looking at long leases of a year or 6 months if your lucky, sometimes paid up front in entirety.

thailand is the easiest around in this regard when it comes to accessible housing and tolerant landlords.

Edited by Dick Crank

1 hour ago, Dick Crank said:

thailand is the easiest around in this regard when it comes to accessible housing and tolerant landlords.

In China the apartments are so cheap you can just use Booking.com.

In the Philippines, the landlords all speak English, walk around knock on a few doors.

In comparison, I found Thailand quite hard, especially with their special prices for white men.

So many western guys obsessed with Thailand, why?

It's got nothing special when compared to all the other Asian countries, and they don't really want us here.

Edited by BritManToo

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In the Philippines, the landlords all speak English, walk around knock on a few doors.

In comparison, I found Thailand quite hard, especially with their special prices for white men.

It's got nothing special when compared to all the other Asian countries, and they don't really want us here.

I find Thailand quite easy and never bothered by 2 tier pricing except I made twice what Thai guys made when I was working here. 

I live in a nice house with a nice wife and nice dog.  I wonder why so many Western guys who have left are still whinging about Thailand.

I've lived in Bangkok and CM and Pattaya and never had a problem with landlords they were always friends (Thais).

I've always felt wanted here.    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

But a Burmese or Cambodian working for 150bht/day on a building site is more than welcome.

For little peanuts they pay them worker they making a fortune,

and is a direct profit for them and business, not just ripple effect of farangs renting condos and buying beer.

Everyone know the Thai "dont think to mutt"

So a lot of this rubbish is farang presuming what the Thais are thinking is just that,

rubbish and all in the imagination!

and.. "they really dont want us here, just our money"

lol..we must hear this Over over over again, like a fxcking broken record!

The rich Thai certainly dont need farang money, and i will suggest most other normal Thai are just busy trying to scrape a living to be worry about farangs and them being here.

But of course if you are someones walking ATM you will always be highly valuable!

just dont expect any thanks!

and dont cry when you must go home broke!

48 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

For little peanuts they pay them worker they making a fortune,

and is a direct profit for them and business, not just ripple effect of farangs renting condos and buying beer.

Everyone know the Thai "dont think to mutt"

So a lot of this rubbish is farang presuming what the Thais are thinking is just that,

rubbish and all in the imagination!

and.. "they really dont want us here, just our money"

lol..we must hear this Over over over again, like a fxcking broken record!

The rich Thai certainly dont need farang money, and i will suggest most other normal Thai are just busy trying to scrape a living to be worry about farangs and them being here.

But of course if you are someones walking ATM you will always be highly valuable!

just dont expect any thanks!

and dont cry when you must go home broke!

Sounds like you now live back in farangland after your experience..????

• Like 1

HI Folks
I started this post some months back so it is about time I gave an update
I Have watched some of the posts call me all sorts of Names
Basically I can and do live on a lot less than the required 65,000 baht I/o Require,
I rent a house and have a career take care of Me. Paid I might add.
Well Am I going to pull the Plug? at this stage No

My family have chipped in to help make the 65,000 possible under current Rules
and also chipped in to pay my airfare to Australia early next year.
I am going for Family reunion and during that time I will see a Cardiologist 
Tomorrow is Crunch day with getting a further Extension at Marraput   I/O
went to Fortress Australia yesterday for my letter so now all up to I/O now.
Sorry to be a bit long winded with this response Take care everybody 
Regards Dezza 
For  the Brits and Aussies the family Reunion is I sailed from Liverpool April 48 and arrive down under in May 1949 so 70 years 
Good luck and all the best Dezza. Stick it out as long as they let you.[emoji106]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ban Phe Dezza said:

HI Folks

I started this post some months back so it is about time I gave an update
I Have watched some of the posts call me all sorts of Names

Basically I can and do live on a lot less than the required 65,000 baht I/o Require,

I rent a house and have a career take care of Me. Paid I might add.

Well Am I going to pull the Plug? at this stage No

My family have chipped in to help make the 65,000 possible under current Rules
and also chipped in to pay my airfare to Australia early next year.

I am going for Family reunion and during that time I will see a Cardiologist 

Tomorrow is Crunch day with getting a further Extension at Marraput   I/O

went to Fortress Australia yesterday for my letter so now all up to I/O now.

Sorry to be a bit long winded with this response Take care everybody 

Regards Dezza 

For  the Brits and Aussies the family Reunion is I sailed from Liverpool April 49 and arrive down under in May 1949 so 70 years 

My first year here (2016) I was on an 'O' visa and needed to do a visa run every 90 days. My first trip was to Hanoi and in my planning for the week away I met a guy at a bar in Udon who used to live in Thailand but left for Hanoi a few years ago due to the imposing rules and paperwork required here.  He loves it, says it is cheaper there, you get a longer visa right out and little to no trouble with authorities on visa issues.  He said it was like Thailand 20 years ago..but that was before my time.  He encouraged me to consider Viet Nam but of course my Thai wife said that is out of the question.  We enjoyed our trip and found the people very friendly and by and large many spoke fluent English. I'd move there under different circumstances in a second.  No worries!!

• Like 1

My first year here (2016) I was on an 'O' visa and needed to do a visa run every 90 days. My first trip was to Hanoi and in my planning for the week away I met a guy at a bar in Udon who used to live in Thailand but left for Hanoi a few years ago due to the imposing rules and paperwork required here.  He loves it, says it is cheaper there, you get a longer visa right out and little to no trouble with authorities on visa issues.  He said it was like Thailand 20 years ago..but that was before my time.  He encouraged me to consider Viet Nam but of course my Thai wife said that is out of the question.  We enjoyed our trip and found the people very friendly and by and large many spoke fluent English. I'd move there under different circumstances in a second.  No worries!!

I’m looking for someplace that’s like SoCal was 50 years ago...
  • Like 1

Gee your gonna pull the pin because your charged and extra 100 baht occasionally because your white?

I don't think your gonna survive anywhere in Asia dude. You can go back home where a 100 baht will be the least of your problems
  • Like 1

Gee your gonna pull the pin because your charged and extra 100 baht occasionally because your white?

I don't think your gonna survive anywhere in Asia dude. You can go back home where a 100 baht will be the least of your problems

It’s hilarious how people get all caught up in the fuel pricing thing. They’ll drive 100km with their wife and kids laughing about how much fun they’re going to have and the turn around and go home after daddy hollers until he’s red-faced and embarrasses mommy...

Over 100 baht. It’s the “principle” don’t ‘cha know!
  • Like 1

On October 29, 2018 at 6:50 PM, BritManToo said:

Anyone who thinks that Thai Immigration is going to be responsive to "our needs" in any way, is likely to be sadly mistaken. I have never seen any Thai bureaucracy "bend" under any kind of "pressure", certainly not from the needs of farang expats. It's likely to cost more and become more difficult to accomplish. Embassies certainly don't place any priority on helping us, why should Thai Immigration?  The financial impact is likely to be considered "paltry" by the government.  Nothing but bad news for expats. Wish I could be more positive but this is going to be serious.

6 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Anyone who thinks that Thai Immigration is going to be responsive to "our needs" in any way, is likely to be sadly mistaken. I have never seen any Thai bureaucracy "bend" under any kind of "pressure", certainly not from the needs of farang expats. It's likely to cost more and become more difficult to accomplish. Embassies certainly don't place any priority on helping us, why should Thai Immigration?  The financial impact is likely to be considered "paltry" by the government.  Nothing but bad news for expats. Wish I could be more positive but this is going to be serious.

Serious to whom?  Poor expats who add less than 1 tenth of 1 percent to Thai foreign reserves?  Smacking the Chinese guy or the boat sinking now that's serious and heads will roll.  This thing is not serious. 

• Like 2