My First Mp3 Phone....

Mumbo Jumbo

Hi , ive just got my first phone that will play mp3 music and ring tones,

As ive never used this type of phone before, and now want to download

Some ring tones & music, the phone is a Samsung E250, and ive downloaded the

Samsung studio 3. Ive been told that it’s a mine field when it comes to downloading

Music from the web, (viruses etc) can any forum members offer me some advice

About downloading music from the web, and how safe is it..? Also ive been told I need a

cd ripper software, Can any one recommend some thing..? (Free if possible) I am using Windows XP Pro Media Edition and its come pre loaded with a lot of

Software like Windows Media Player 10, Windows Audio Converter Etc would

One of these programs be a cd ripper that would do..? Any other comments for this newbie

MP3 user Would be most welcome..

Thanks Mumbo

cdex is a good ripper but the samsung software will probably already have that in it (my husband's nokia software suite did). You can rip your own collection of cd's first and thus avoid the worry of virus infestations.

Your phone has limited memory so if you want to load up a lot of songs you'll need to get an optional microSD memory card (512 mb and 1 GB widely available here, 2 GB just coming in at a reasonable price).

A typical 3:20 minute pop song takes up ~ 4.5 MB as an MP3.

So now you need MP3's. 'Fair use' means that you can convert the media (CD's) you own into MP3s. I believe Windows Media Player, Winamp and countless other free "media players" allow you "rip" a music CD, i.e. convert the songs into MP3's.

You can also download MP3's from various legal pay sites, like itunes.

Now you need to move those MP's from your PC to your phone. You can use Bluetooth, or an optional USB cable.

Now you need headphones, probably the optional proprietary Samsung set.

Many MP3 players built in to phones are less than ideal. I'd always recommend you try that feature/function before buying the phone. My phone has an MP3 player but I still always use my iPod Nano.

Thankls for the replys, Ive just put in a 512 mb microSD memory card , and have purchased a samsung Data Cable to fit the phone, along with downloading the samsung software. so Now I am going to try an see if I can convert some of my music CD's to mp3 using Windows media Player 10,

as for downloading mp3 tunes from the web, can any one recommend a few sites that are '' safe ''

and I won't end up not only getting a song , but a unwanted visitor at the same time !!.

Thanks Mumbo