Do Thais Have Hobbies?

simon43

I think hobbies are more a middle class thing. From the working class, they do not have the resources and when they do, there are always imminent things to spend it on such as alcohol, gambling, philandering. If the wife has her own money then she may develop some such ideas but for most of the rural Thais, there is little beyond work (not for the young men of course), drinking, TV, eating and sleeping.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of Thais who enjoy freshwater fishing, or if they more more disposable income golf, sea fishing (chartering boats etc), RC, sailing, water skiing, wake boarding, kite boarding, an yeah hot yoga too (actually I tried that last week, its seriously hard work).

Video games are, of course, also immensely popular.

I asked my Thai uni students what their hobbies were. The most common answers: shopping (girls), computer games (boys) and the universal hobby - sleeping! I had to inform them that sleeping doesn't really count as a hobby. But maybe I just don't understand Thailand yet...

LOL I asked students the same thing and got the same reply. Many other teachers said they got exactly the same reply also.

However now I come to think about it, apart from the eating thing it is not much different in the west.

I asked my Thai uni students what their hobbies were. The most common answers: shopping (girls), computer games (boys) and the universal hobby - sleeping! I had to inform them that sleeping doesn't really count as a hobby. But maybe I just don't understand Thailand yet...

LOL I asked students the same thing and got the same reply. Many other teachers said they got exactly the same reply also.

However now I come to think about it, apart from the eating thing it is not much different in the west.

eating drinking sulking playing with mobile phones and sleeping :o