Do Thais Have Hobbies?

simon43

I like to learn languages, like to ride horses, like to do amateur radio, clay-pidgeon shooting etc etc. I always seem to be busy. If it's not work, then it's a hobby.

I don't see the same with Thai people that I know. If they are not working, then they are either eating or sleeping :o

Do Thai people have hobbies? Or is this a weird farang pasttime?

Simon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father-in-law doesn't. All he seems to know is work. Too bad he hasn't yet figured out that at 70 he's getting a bit old to be doing coconuts :o. Mother-in-law's hobby seems to be visiting and gossiping with friends :D

I like to learn languages, like to ride horses, like to do amateur radio, clay-pidgeon shooting etc etc. I always seem to be busy. If it's not work, then it's a hobby.

I don't see the same with Thai people that I know. If they are not working, then they are either eating or sleeping :o

Simon

One of the biggest hobbies here is collecting amulets. There are vast markets and entire floors in dept. stores entirely for that. Have you never had friends showing you with pride their priced collections?

Amateur radio is big as well here, kids like to play the same games like kids in the west, women like to collect all the kitschy stuff.

Yes, Thais have hobbies.

i have thai friends who are artists, musicians, jewelry makers, fishers, guys that practice muay thai or just go work out, djs, fire spinners (i know), and philanderers. i don't really know many thai girls here but the ones that are gossip and gamble.

Very many Thais like people the world over have hobbies.

Radio ham is very popular, promoted by HRH. I know quite a few Thais that make radio controlled models and the Thai wife of a friend is into needle craft, her embroidary is exqusite.

One of the Thais I'm working with collects scent bottles, she occassionaly comes into the office after the weekend raving over some rarity that she has found at the local flee market.

Collecting Buddha images is of course a near mania.

My fatherinlaw grows orchids and I know another Thai guy who collects old farm implements.

My wife is an avid reader and has now established her own book exchange club that is turning a hobby into a whole social life.

So yes, Thais have hobbies, lots of them.

My husbands hobby these days is computors mainly. games, downloading movies or songs, writing music. constant upgrading via ebay. He spends most of his free time on the pc. his other hobby is his guitars, he just bought his first ibanez & I didn't see him after work for a week whilst he played with it in the spare room. Funny how the much loved music man got forgotten :o

I am going to massively generalise now but I don't think that thai women do hobbies (in the same vien as men do) just as none of the western women I know do, they are probably like a lot of women, just too bloody busy or liek to spend their time in out with friends. This is all from people I know only.

Edited by Boo

Very many Thais like people the world over have hobbies.

Radio ham is very popular, promoted by HRH. I know quite a few Thais that make radio controlled models and the Thai wife of a friend is into needle craft, her embroidary is exqusite.

One of the Thais I'm working with collects scent bottles, she occassionaly comes into the office after the weekend raving over some rarity that she has found at the local flee market.

Collecting Buddha images is of course a near mania.

My fatherinlaw grows orchids and I know another Thai guy who collects old farm implements.

My wife is an avid reader and has now established her own book exchange club that is turning a hobby into a whole social life.

So yes, Thais have hobbies, lots of them.

Just not my father-in-law :D. Wish he did, he broke his arm doing coconuts last time :o

Intersting subject and got me thinging.

Mother law loves to garden. Father law is a teacher and spends his free time building small rental units on his land in Phan. These places rent to other thai's for 1500B a month, not fancy. My thai daughter loves to shop like most young ladys. Thai wife is a golf freak, plays golf, watches golf, golf, golf, golf. I'm the one who needs to get a hobby.

Simon

Hi Simon, I'm not offering a contradiction here, just thinking aloud, but what if we turn the question around? For instance, I've spent a lot of time in LOS and in many different parts. I naturally tend to gravitate to farang bars, many of them run by expats and here I may be wrong but many of them seem to have no hobby either (I don't count excessive drinking and skirt chasing as hobbies, they're more or less fleeting pleasures). In fact, it's clear to me that a lot of them are bored out of their skulls during the day and just counting the hours till evening falls. Maybe I'm wrong but I think you'll know what I mean.

I asked my Thai uni students what their hobbies were. The most common answers: shopping (girls), computer games (boys) and the universal hobby - sleeping! I had to inform them that sleeping doesn't really count as a hobby. But maybe I just don't understand Thailand yet...

Simon

Yes but Thais are very busy doing good and helping the world so they have little time for hobbies. I known in my wife's village in Issan they are busy sending food and toys to the poor in American. Soon they will be sending drugs also.

This Missus makes her own clothes, scarcely a week goes by without me seeing her wearing something that I'm sure used to be the lounge curtains, jest actually, but you know what I mean :o

She also knits (my Mum taught her).

Gwertz - of course you are absolutely correct! Many 'farang' in LoS don't seem to have hobbies either. That's probably why they are drinking and whoring their lives away....I realised that with lots of spare time on my hands, the temptation to drink all day was real, so by keeping busy with work/hobbies, I have little time for the demon booze.

Gotta go - I need to climb my antenna mast :o

Simon

The majority of working class to middle management Thais work extremely long hours getting home late , my time in Bkk was 6 days a week start work at 8:00 and rarely home before 9:00 pm ( I tried to get a job as a teacher but I failed the normality test ) . This left Sundays as a family day so any time I wished to divert to a personal hobby was time stolen from the family . My long suffering wife cooked as a hobby , knitted , and did lots of embroidery and gardening .

In a lot of ways I think the idea of a hobby does suggest both leisure time and disposal income. So if you’re working 7 days a week in a low paid job you might not have the inclination and means to think about what extra could you do in your spare time.

That said the things mentioned above like collecting amulets and Buddha’s are widespread. Gardening is popular. Lots of plant and flower markets and just look at the homes and balconies. There are active clubs and groups for all sorts of things. For instance photography is popular and there are web sites like pixpros.net that have active communities. Golfing is big. I belong to a health club that is almost all Thai – lots of people into yoga, swimming, badminton, working out, etc. There are bike clubs – motor and pedal. I know people and groups around technology, home theater and things like that. Going to temples is popular – going with a group on one day or overnight bus trips. But as noted above eating is the national passion.

I think if you spend time around Thai’s with the time and money for hobbies you’d find them quite active – but maybe not as maniacal as back in the states where every moment must be filled doing something.

Simon

I think it highly depends on what people. Most people I came across where idiots, but doing business I see many different thais. Having hobbies like walking "YES walking with their legs, not the car" in the jungle and watching birds (and knowing them all in Thai language), diving and taking care enviroment, having a hugh knowlege about the enviroment here. Carving (hope spelled right) is very popular. One rich customer loves to cook european food (we always get some fights, as he thinks he know it better than I do).

I guess it depends on social status and edjucation.

Lots of Thai people at the gym / swimming baths near me. The missus enjoys reading, music, yoga, cooking, etc.

My staff at work enjoy football, golf, off-roading, amateur radio, even stamp collecting, etc. etc. They keep themselves busy after work with mostly healthy pastimes.

Most Thais are a lot more "social" in their hobbies / activities than Westerners, and less drawn to solitary activity.