Planned wooden Suvarnabhumi airport terminal sparks fire concerns

webfact

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When you chop down trees how can that ever be considered sustainable? They don't grow again in five minutes, especially to the size needed for this project.

Those big columns (if that's what you referring) are actually concrete but with wood panels on the external for aesthetic. The wood would have to be sourced from a sustainable source certified by the Forest Stewardship Council. FSC runs a global certification system with 2 key components - forest management and chain of custody.  

1 hour ago, sead said:

Only in Thailand there's would take engineers to figure out it's an fire risk. I think my 5 year old daughter would gasped at the idea of building a tree house in a flightterminal 

But it looks good. That's all that counts. And that's the Thai way.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

3 hours ago, Ossy said:

The architect is clearly a lover of Paragon Puzzles (of old) who designed and made beautiful wooden brain-teasers that kept me quiet for hours.

puzzle.jpg.f07adc29f1e3390891054af59953e303.jpg

As for these shapes being the inspiration of an airport terminal design, I have two issues. One, the inevitably high cost of making and erecting a wooden structure, like the one pictured, and two, the mind-numbing task of keeping such a structure clean or had the architect got some cunning dust-prevention device hiding amongst all those blocks?

Expensive, impractical and utterly unnecessary for a building that people want to spend as little time in as possible.

Erratum: How could I forget the name of my favourite puzzle supplier. They are called Pentangle, a south Wales company, now closed due to bereavement. Their ground-breaking Devil's Halo wire and string puzzle I managed with comparative ease, but their Ball & Chain - also wire  and string - had me beat . . . most exasperating.

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

After reading the criticism, posters might think that wood is easily burnt. All over Japan structures are wood to safeguard damage in earthquakes. They don't get burnt down.

Japan is Japan.... THIS IS THAILAND.... Mental Attitude  is a tad different.

• Like 1

Actually building large buildings with Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT) is getting more popular.  It has it advantages - ;lighter, longer unsupported spans, flexible but is costly. It can be made fire retardant and bug resistant during construction.  It is basically just thick "plywood".

30 years ago when working in the Security Industry in NZ I guarded a prototype Wooden Warehouse which thanks to treatment was said to be less Fire risk than concrete and steel building. Why then could not this be true of this Airport development