3BB fibre, free upgrade this month.

BritManToo

I just did it. But it is was not free, had to pay Bht 1800 for router, and had to keep the old one 'cos I had bought it. But, it works very well, get 112 Mb/s most times, and I am up in't' sticks.

Downloads will depend on where they are coming from and how many seeds/peers there are.

Edited by wgdanson

WOW you guys are lucky to get 3BB in.

We are stuck with TOT (Village Fiber) happy to get 20Mb sometimes, 100Mb wow !

ooh I wish I hadn't ditched WiNet, which was more reliable than this !

?

Sorry for the rant. !

Edit

Edited by MJCM

Just now, wgdanson said:

Nothing capped for me, downloaded 10 movies yesterday, have BBC TV on all day via VPN. Never any problems.

Thx ! I thought so, 3G/4G have caps but first time I heard about ADSL/VDSL/Fiber having it.

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

?

Sorry for the rant. !

Edit

I am in a small village 30km from nearest town, only 3 people have internet. They came last month and fitted fibre cable, through the trees. Works fine.

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I am in a small village 30km from nearest town, only 3 people have internet. They came last month and fitted fibre cable, through the trees. Works fine.

Lucky you, the only option here is TOT (Village Fiber) or 3G/4G and 3bb not a cable of them in sight ?

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Nothing capped for me, downloaded 10 movies yesterday, have BBC TV on all day via VPN. Never any problems.

Same here downloaded a load of Burts movies in 1080p (2GB files) this afternoon, 2-3 minutes a movie.

You missed out on the free upgrade, this month only. Router is a bit of a monster.

P_20180909_163755.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

14 minutes ago, MJCM said:

?

Sorry for the rant. !

Edit

You can move back to Pattaya haha.

I got mine upgraded for free also last week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was it "offered" or did you go to ask/pester them for it?

I live in a village 35 km out of town (Chiang Rai). I have 3BB (up to 40 mb on a good day), the distribution box is in the adjacent school some 200 metres away.

Edited by JAG

Same here downloaded a load of Burts movies in 1080p (2GB files) this afternoon, 2-3 minutes a movie.
You missed out on the free upgrade, this month only. Router is a bit of a monster.
P_20180909_163755.thumb.jpg.7288ec1f327a64746196d48f5aeedbf7.jpg
That's a great Router. I got mine upgraded about a month ago. It's got a fantastic range. It reaches through 2 concrete walls and way beyond the outside of the house.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

P_20180909_163755.jpg

Same as mine, bit it does what it should do...........unless you have phones which are not 5GHz compatible as ours are. Ah well, can't have everything.

18 minutes ago, trd said:
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:
P_20180909_163755.thumb.jpg.7288ec1f327a64746196d48f5aeedbf7.jpg

That's a great Router. I got mine upgraded about a month ago. It's got a fantastic range. It reaches through 2 concrete walls and way beyond the outside of the house.

But the WiFi signal quickly degrades with distance. I connected my upstairs media centre PC with a 20 metre CAT6 cables, Bht 220 from Lazada, and it is perfect on both. Tried one of those 'Via the mains' network connecters...........sh''te, sent it back.

But the WiFi signal quickly degrades with distance. I connected my upstairs media centre PC with a 20 metre CAT6 cables, Bht 220 from Lazada, and it is perfect on both. Tried one of those 'Via the mains' network connecters...........sh''te, sent it back.
Yeah that's true. A Lan cable gives you the fastest connection. I have my TV media center connected that way too.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

?

Sorry for the rant. !

Edit

Have you enquired lately ? We waited and waited,  phoned and phoned about every 3 months and eventually we got 50/30 2 years ago and now we have fibre in our village and we are out in the sticks. Our 200/100 is super reliable now.   Initially told we could not get 3BB until 20 customers but not sure whats happened to that logic as I was the first in the village to get 3BB followed recently by 3 others. 

Edited by Esso49
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Have you enquired lately ? We waited and waited,  phoned and phoned about every 3 months and eventually we got 50/30 2 years ago and now we have fibre in our village and we are out in the sticks. Our 200/100 is super reliable now.   Initially told we could not get 3BB until 20 customers but not sure whats happened to that logic as I was the first in the village to get 3BB followed recently by 3 others. 

Yeah about 3 months ago, we asked around and only a couple other people want internet here. The main problem for them (3bb) is that we are in between villages (2-3kms) without any houses (read subscribers) and thus they have to re-coup the costs for the cable some how. We asked once how much they wanted and it was a huge amount (in the region of 200k THB).

We will keep waiting and maybe one day (if we are lucky) and NO @janclaes47 I will not be moving back to Pattaya. ?

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Same as mine, bit it does what it should do...........unless you have phones which are not 5GHz compatible as ours are. Ah well, can't have everything.

Why can't you put in a 5GHz router for your 5Ghz devices? Just connect it to your standard router via LAN cable and you'll have it all. Bear in mind 5Ghz doesn't doesn't have the same distance capability as 2.4Ghz and doesn't like concrete walls. Ideally, you want it in the same room as your devices.

Just now, tropo said:

Why can't you put in a 5GHz router for your 5Ghz devices? Just connect it to your standard router via LAN cable and you'll have it all. Bear in mind 5Ghz doesn't doesn't have the same distance capability as 2.4Ghz and doesn't like concrete walls. Ideally, you want it in the same room as your devices.

yes I understand, but the 2.4 GHz is fine for my situation. Thanks for the advice.

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Yeah about 3 months ago, we asked around and only a couple other people want internet here. The main problem for them (3bb) is that we are in between villages (2-3kms) without any houses (read subscribers) and thus they have to re-coup the costs for the cable some how. We asked once how much they wanted and it was a huge amount (in the region of 200k THB).

We will keep waiting and maybe one day (if we are lucky) and NO @janclaes47 I will not be moving back to Pattaya. ?

Did you check out that Line 4G I suggested some time ago?

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Did you check out that Line 4G I suggested some time ago?

It was really hit and miss, I think it has to do with bad reception in our area, with Dtac (which Line uses) and AIS in the garden we only get 1-2 bars max. True has 1 bar max.

For IPTV it's totally inadequate as in house the reception is even worse (as expected)

Our reception is better then the BIL who at his house (3-400 meters away) sometimes has no reception at all and has to walk outside and hold his phone in the air to get a reception ?

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

yes I understand, but the 2.4 GHz is fine for my situation. Thanks for the advice.

I just mentioned it because I have a large floor area and use 3 wifi routers around the house to get good coverage. The living room router is an Apple Airport Time Capsule to give the Apple devices 5Ghz when in range, but they always switch to 2.4Ghz when going to other rooms anyway. All my PC's are hard-wired (LAN cable) though because when you're getting over 100Mbps you're losing quite a bit of speed with wifi.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

It was really hit and miss, I think it has to do with bad reception in our area, with Dtac (which Line uses) and AIS in the garden we only get 1-2 bars max. True has 1 bar max.

It was to be expected in your area.

Could a long range outdoor antenna may be a solution?

Edit this is actually what I was looking for

https://www.ebay.com/b/Indoor-Outdoor-Cell-Phone-Signal-Boosters/68030/bn_368018

Edited by janclaes47

We went to our local 3BB shop today to ask about upgrading from VDSL to Fibre thinking that there would be an installation charge and was pleasantly surprised to be offered this free upgrade. With the added bonus that, for us there will be no increase on the monthly payments either. 630 baht a month. Yes I know it's more than some people pay, but that's what it was when we first took out our contract. They would never let us change to 590 baht.
The only downside is that we have got to wait 5 weeks for installation. I'm guessing they must be very busy.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect