Feb trip to research retiring in HH

ding

The Thai wife and I are coming February 2019 to check out Hua Hin as a retirement home in 2.5 years.

A) Would like tips on a good hotel by the sea to base our search out of. About $45/nt desired, but whatever.

(we'll rent a motorcycle - if it's safer than Samui to ride there)

Near the beach please, or a great view or pool. Need a weight lifting gym.

B) Would like tips on good areas to live in HH. I'll add some of our needs so as not to annoy.

1- Would like to keep rent under B30k/month. We'll pay more for beach -or beach proximity, pool, weight room for lifting. 

(running on the sand is my thing)

2- We like the area near The Grand Night Market by Athletic Fitness Hua Hin and Hua Hin Marriott. ...Other suggestions or drawbacks welcome?

(the nearby AA is my thing, so good bars not required)

3` Gym for lifting, not cardio.

(I need a squat rack and real leg equipment)

4- Fresh market within reach

(wife cooks great, we eat healthy - plus she needs to shop like I need to lift)

5- We'll use a motorcycle if it's safe, otherwise a car.

(I used to race MX but I hate riding in Samui)

There are some cheap hotels on the strip from  the Mariott down to Khao Takaib. You want the ones beachside and not on the other side of Highway4/Phet Kasem because the traffic makes crossing deadly. (I mention this because some of them can say they are on the beach, but you have to dodge cars to get there).Use one of the  search engines like hotels/expedia/booking to get the listing with your search requirements. Just remember that you get what you pay for and $45 is on the cheapside for HH, even in rainy season.

For the rent you want you are not going to find anything close to the beach unless you get out to the far reaches of Khao Takaib. There are lots of vacant housing developments  inland,  and especially 5km+  and along 3218. I prefer  Bluport for my shopping (the Tescos in Market Village is awful) but the Tesco or Super C on 3218 are fine.

HH and the area is relatively okay for motorcycles except on the weekends during the day and in peak holiday season. Off the main strip, traffic is ok.

BTW, take a drive over to Cha Am. I think you might find  more options there. The last time I was through the number of homes and apartments being advertised for sale/rent by farangs was astounding. Cha Am is more geared to farangs than HH, which is the weekend destination of  Bangkok's middle class family  demographic.

geriatrick kid < Thanks, very useful info. We'll up the rent and stay on the water side of the road. Good to learn that about Cha Am, we'll check it out, as well as Bluport in HH.

Nanaplaza666 < Anantasila - thanks for the tip. Will check it out!

ed strong < 3 years is about a minute thirty eight at my age. By 62 it'll be 48 seconds by my estimate. I research major moves, subject to change of course. Thanks you!

Esso49 < Her friends live in a village or BKK, not HH. We have no secrets, if you are concerned for us.

HHTel < Thanks! I'll search it up, as I usually do. TV has been my 'go-to' for many years and I'm a creature of habit I suppose.

Cheers all!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there Ding,

Carn the Dees.

I live in Prachuap about 100klics south of HH and have done so for the last 4 years. Great spot with good beaches, quiet and        very cheap. 10-15,000 baht would get you an apartment on the sea.

Have to catch up when you come over.

Archived