Using Notary from US instead of USEmbassy for DLT renewal?

chubby

Using Notary from US instead of USEmbassy for DLT renewal?       Has anyone ever attempted to use a notary besides the USEmbassy for  Americans    getting a  new or renewal  for a Thai DL  from the DLT ?

Maybe it's not worth trying ?  So much easier and cheaper if I do it in the US  vs. the $50 USD and hassle of dealing with the US Embassy, which I did for the initial license.

The form seems to have also changed and now is this one:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/commonly-requested-handouts/

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/vehicle-license-affidavit.pdf

Is that right?

PS: Seems my sub-soi off soi 11 for med certifcate may be gone ,  any recent  med certificate suggested places in lower  Sukhumwit please ?

as I understand notarys, all they are doing is validating your signature, not necessarily the document ,  I want to use  my  local US bank's notary, which is free for me,  instead of the $50  notary service on wireless road

1 hour ago, chubby said:

as I understand notarys, all they are doing is validating your signature, not necessarily the document ,  I want to use  my  local US bank's notary, which is free for me,  instead of the $50  notary service on wireless road

If you have a Thai DL just re-new it with your passport & proof of address.

If you have US DL you can get a new Thai DL with your passport & proof of address.

Maybe a medical check certificate is wanted at the DLT you use maybe not.

If you have doubts as what you need go to the DLT office first and ask them they won't eat you I promise. 

2 hours ago, chubby said:

Not using a notary is free as well. Plus it saves time and hassle.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

If you have a Thai DL just re-new it with your passport & proof of address.

If you have US DL you can get a new Thai DL with your passport & proof of address.

Maybe a medical check certificate is wanted at the DLT you use maybe not.

If you have doubts as what you need go to the DLT office first and ask them they won't eat you I promise. 

I believe they want the US Embassy form , and notarized   FOR proof of address    at  Bang Chak   for a   renewal ,   I'm looking to renew my 2 year  to make it a 5  year

22 minutes ago, chubby said:

I believe they want the US Embassy form , and notarized   FOR proof of address  

I believe, believing something is useless you need facts, it doesn't make sense sorry, you can get from your landlord, hotel manager or immigration to confirm your address of stay.

I think you are wildly missing the point of that statement by the US embassy. The Thai DMV is not looking for just a notary. If that were the case, why not just use a Thai lawyer to notarize it for you?

What they are looking for is an official, recognized Thai government organization that says this is your address. In lieu of immigration, they will usually accept a statement from the embassy. It just so happens that the US government has no way to verify your actual, registered address, so they will notarize anything you tell them.  Other countries may have ways of checking to see where you have declared as your domicile.

Once you have a yellow book or work permit, this is no longer necessary because they have an official address for you already.

So no, I am extremely doubtful you can use your bank for this purpose.

I realize it is unlikely anyone might have done this.  So, feel free to ignore.        Apparently, it's an affidavit   as the income requirement  one is ,   but legally,  I wonder  why it should matter   whom notarized one's affidavit, but I'm not familiar with Thai Law   or  possible reciprocity  with other countries .....   

I'd guess just like the Medical Certificate,  it's  just   Thai  Bureaucracy  Theater ......          ; I believe I once tried to use a medical certicate  that I used for my Thai Visa in LA,  but that just gave them a reason to say  "no"

anyway forget I  asked