Trump promises all-out response to Hurricane Florence

webfact

2 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Actually a very good Puerto Rican friend and retired USAF colonel who had to play tag team with her brother to go to Puerto Rico and look after parents with medical needs in a retirement home in Puerto Rico that went without reliable electricity for months.

Her mother died.  Her father is doing ok for a man his age.

OK so your alleged informant is more beleivable than mine 55555.

Funny how a nursing home had no generator and no fuel. Maybe, as the folks in PR told me, somebody was making a profit on gas brought in? Sort of like food aid to Somalia....the guys with the guns and or power get it?

Whatever. My kin are all in the Carolinas and they have food, water, chainsaws, lanterns and generators. Got some babies too and they laid in a supply of formula. Mom made sure all her meds are stocked up.  I doubt they will be whining about .gov. After all, the Carolinas are Trump country, self sufficient and can do, not sit around waiting to be rescued.

What was that line: You make your own luck.

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Good thing they had the forethought to get the chainsaws ready and stock up on supplies instead of whinging.

Ah, blame the victims.  Of course stocking up on supplies is a challenge in an island when the US law puts expensive laws in place that restricts imports by sea.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

Did your nephew and friends also stock up on good roads?

Just now, heybruce said:

Ah, blame the victims.  Of course stocking up on supplies is a challenge in an island when the US law puts expensive laws in place that restricts imports by sea.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

Did your nephew and friends also stock up on good roads?

Trump is to blame for the Jones Act? The act that he waived to get stuff in there that sat because the locals couldnt get their act together? Or stuff that was used to make the PR democrat elite comfortable while the peons starved? Maybe the Mayor of San Juan should have pitched in instead of screeching on CNN....

Good roads? Dude, you been to PR? The roads are better there than in some places in the continental US.

You are just doing the usual here: if something is bad its Trumps fault. Sorry, but that doesnt cut it among those who beleive a modicum of self reliance is appropriate.?

But ce la vie. You have your views I have mine. Have a beer. You can have the last word FWIW.

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

OK so your alleged informant is more beleivable than mine 55555.

Funny how a nursing home had no generator and no fuel. Maybe, as the folks in PR told me, somebody was making a profit on gas brought in? Sort of like food aid to Somalia....the guys with the guns and or power get it?

Whatever. My kin are all in the Carolinas and they have food, water, chainsaws, lanterns and generators. Got some babies too and they laid in a supply of formula. Mom made sure all her meds are stocked up.  I doubt they will be whining about .gov. After all, the Carolinas are Trump country, self sufficient and can do, not sit around waiting to be rescued.

What was that line: You make your own luck.

Out of curiosity, how long have you known your sources in Puerto Rico?  How well do you know them?

I won't give away personal information about my friend, but I've known her since 1984.  I believe her, but if you think a taxi driver whose name you don't recall is a better source, that's up to you.  It also says something about your post.

I also have family in South Carolina; the able bodied are prepared for the storm.  However preparing for and surviving a storm on the mainland is different from doing so on a small island.

BTW, failure to have generators and fuel is not a uniquely Puerto Rican problem, it also happens in hurricane prone Florida.   https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-nursing-homes-gnerators-20180911-story.html

Are your certain things are better in South Carolina, and other states?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Trump is to blame for the Jones Act? The act that he waived to get stuff in there that sat because the locals couldnt get their act together? Or stuff that was used to make the PR democrat elite comfortable while the peons starved? Maybe the Mayor of San Juan should have pitched in instead of screeching on CNN....

Good roads? Dude, you been to PR? The roads are better there than in some places in the continental US.

You are just doing the usual here: if something is bad its Trumps fault. Sorry, but that doesnt cut it among those who beleive a modicum of self reliance is appropriate.?

But ce la vie. You have your views I have mine. Have a beer. You can have the last word FWIW.

So people in Puerto Rico are responsible for not stocking up before the hurricane because Trump waived the Jones act after the hurricane?  Really?

Have you been on all the roads to all the towns on Puerto Rico?  Have you been there since the hurricane?  Floods and landslides can have an effect on road quality--did you know that?

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Actually, thinking folks know that the failures came from local government. I hear they just found thousands of bottles of water just sitting there undistributed.

That comports with what a heard from locals on my last visit there. No matter what their politics, they blamed the local honchos. One taxi drive told me that the Mayor of San Juan and her cronies were stealing funds and black market selling. Another told me that supplies were given first to activists for local government and that if you werent in the Mayors "club" you waited...a la Venezuela.

Regardless, the Feds did their job to get the supplies there. Where were the locals? 

Don't believe you, or should I say two random taxi drivers.   

If they were so corrupt, it would seem they would have sold all those bottles of water.   

When FEMA gets involved it is because there is no local gov't that can handle the situation.   The federal government didn't care and still doesn't care what happens to Puerto Rico.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, heybruce said:

So people in Puerto Rico are responsible for not stocking up before the hurricane because Trump waived the Jones act after the hurricane?  Really?

Have you been on all the roads to all the towns on Puerto Rico?  Have you been there since the hurricane?  Floods and landslides can have an effect on road quality--did you know that?

Dude here is my last word. I was there three months after the hurricane and again in May. I drove the whole Island both times, spending money like a mad dog cuz I needed some tropics and it was cheap to fly there and I figured a few tourist dollars wouldnt hurt. Universally, in San Jaun, folks had nothing nice to say about their city government. And no dude, I didnt travel to every little podunk as I am well aware of how sh**t* it can be in the sticks after a disaster. Been there, done that. I have forgotten more about crappy roads and landslides than most folks will ever know and have a 4x4 upside down in a ravine in Alaska to prove it. And I saw powerlines down and palm trees piled up with dudes just sitting around doing nothing. Thats fine, poor poor people give us more help.

God helps those who help themselves. The next time I am in a disaster (and I have been through a few) Ill again do what I can to make do FOR MYSELF and not blame others.

So, now that we have that settled, give us all your personal knowledge about how Pres. Combover tried genocide on the PRs? What did he do or do not do? Have all sorts of fun, because I have said my piece. Some folks here will agree with my view, some wont. Same same to me, I happen to like Mehkong Whiskey, others dont. Have a beer. The folks in Carolina know how to help take care of themselves. 

Edited by Nyezhov

9 minutes ago, Credo said:

Don't believe you, or should I say two random taxi drivers.   

If they were so corrupt, it would seem they would have sold all those bottles of water.   

When FEMA gets involved it is because there is no local gov't that can handle the situation.   The federal government didn't care and still doesn't care what happens to Puerto Rico.

More than two taxi drivers if you have read carefully. And hey, just because a thief leaves some loot behind, it doesnt mean that he didnt steal.

And FEMA isnt there to "take over" if it was, the Governor of NC and SC and the mayors of the local communites would just stand aside.....they are there to help...help...

And how long has the Fed not cared? let me guess, since somebody got elected, duh.?

You been to PR lately? In the past year? How many times you been to PR? How was it functioning before the hurricane?

Edited by Nyezhov

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

More than two taxi drivers if you have read carefully. And hey, just because a thief leaves some loot behind, it doesnt mean that he didnt steal.

And FEMA isnt there to "take over" if it was, the Governor of NC and SC and the mayors of the local communites would just stand aside.....they are there to help...help...

And how long has the Fed not cared? let me guess, since somebody got elected, duh.?

You been to PR lately? In the past year? How many times you been to PR? How was it functioning before the hurricane?

Actually, I haven't, but a family member who works for a state utility was sent there and was there for 3 months.    They were working night and day to restore electricity.   It seems that little non-descript Montana Company that got $10 Million didn't do their work.   Another Trump success on that one?

1 minute ago, Credo said:

Actually, I haven't, but a family member who works for a state utility was sent there and was there for 3 months.    They were working night and day to restore electricity.   It seems that little non-descript Montana Company that got $10 Million didn't do their work.   Another Trump success on that one?

So you havent been there and can only point to some utility dude complaining about another utility dude that was hired by who? And all That means President Trump is a *insert whatever name you want to call him here*

Have a beer. If anyone wants to discuss this further I am free Sunday and looking for someone to buy me lunch.

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So you havent been there and can only point to some utility dude complaining about another utility dude that was hired by who? And all That means President Trump is a *insert whatever name you want to call him here*

Have a beer. If anyone wants to discuss this further I am free Sunday and looking for someone to buy me lunch.

Sort of like one taxi driver or two or three.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude here is my last word. I was there three months after the hurricane and again in May. I drove the whole Island both times, spending money like a mad dog cuz I needed some tropics and it was cheap to fly there and I figured a few tourist dollars wouldnt hurt. Universally, in San Jaun, folks had nothing nice to say about their city government. And no dude, I didnt travel to every little podunk as I am well aware of how sh**t* it can be in the sticks after a disaster. Been there, done that. I have forgotten more about crappy roads and landslides than most folks will ever know and have a 4x4 upside down in a ravine in Alaska to prove it. And I saw powerlines down and palm trees piled up with dudes just sitting around doing nothing. Thats fine, poor poor people give us more help.

God helps those who help themselves. The next time I am in a disaster (and I have been through a few) Ill again do what I can to make do FOR MYSELF and not blame others.

So, now that we have that settled, give us all your personal knowledge about how Pres. Combover tried genocide on the PRs? What did he do or do not do? Have all sorts of fun, because I have said my piece. Some folks here will agree with my view, some wont. Same same to me, I happen to like Mehkong Whiskey, others dont. Have a beer. The folks in Carolina know how to help take care of themselves. 

So, in summary:

You didn't go into the remote areas where the need was greatest.

People complained about local government, as they always do.

People did not go to great lengths and use difficult to replenish fuel going to difficult to reach ports in the uncertain hope of carrying needed supplies to inaccessible areas; they looked after their own needs, as you stated you would do.

How does this change the fact that in a devastated part of the US, the Federal government should help out when US citizens are in desperate need and dying?

I never said Trump attempted genocide in Puerto Rico, I haven't mentioned Trump.  But now that you've brought it up; he went there for a photo op, bragged about what a great job he did (he still does) then left and didn't provide desperately needed help.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

Sad.

Let's not think about the poor buggers on the ground out there who are going to have a bad time when this hits. It's a big storm and unfortunately some people are going to get seriously hurt and worse. They are going to lose homes businesses etc.

Let's concentrate on trying to out do each other on 'Trump facts.'

Whether you like or loath him doesn't matter a sh-t because it's not your life or home that's going to be damaged or destroyed.

Not one post with any consideration for others. 

I would like to see, although I doubt it, a report on last minute change of direction and the centre of the storm missing high population areas.

It will be such a shame to see all those little American flags on the houses getting swamped. Seems the administration in Carolina didn't believe in global warming and didn't want to spend money on coastal defenses despite being told several years back that a sea level rise of only 6 inches would exacerbate any storm damage, never mind, 'Trump digs coal' get used to it.

32 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

It will be such a shame to see all those little American flags on the houses getting swamped. Seems the administration in Carolina didn't believe in global warming and didn't want to spend money on coastal defenses despite being told several years back that a sea level rise of only 6 inches would exacerbate any storm damage, never mind, 'Trump digs coal' get used to it.

Typhoons and hurricanes that dump feet, not inches of water inland don't really pay much attention to coastal defences. Get a 2 metre high rise in sea height under the storm with extremely high wind and waves on top of that and coastal defences stand two hopes, Bob Hope and no hope.

images (4).jpeg

Edited by overherebc

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Typhoons and hurricanes that dump feet, not inches of water inland don't really pay much attention to coastal defences. Get a 2 metre high rise in sea height under the storm with extremely high wind and waves on top of that and coastal defences stand two hopes, Bob Hope and no hope.

would be a good opportunity to take global warming seriously, the more damage the better, a wake up call, go Florence go.

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

would be a good opportunity to take global warming seriously, the more damage the better, a wake up call, go Florence go.

It's too little too late if you go for Global warming, a part of it, I'll go for cycles of climate change that have been and always will be part of this small rock and water thing called planet earth we only just survive on but seem intent on destroying in the most efficient ways we can.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It's too little too late if you go for Global warming, a part of it, I'll go for cycles of climate change that have been and always will be part of this small rock and water thing called planet earth we only just survive on but seem intent on destroying in the most efficient ways we can.

unfortunately we don't even pretend to try. The damage is happening far too slowly, people get used to it, it becomes the new norm. Yes it has happened in the distant past several times through natural causes and earth rejuvenated itself (didn't have radioactive waste or dangerous chemicals to deal with). Due to a lack in sunspot activity the climate ought to be getting colder not heating up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, overherebc said:

Sad.

Let's not think about the poor buggers on the ground out there who are going to have a bad time when this hits. It's a big storm and unfortunately some people are going to get seriously hurt and worse. They are going to lose homes businesses etc.

Let's concentrate on trying to out do each other on 'Trump facts.'

Whether you like or loath him doesn't matter a sh-t because it's not your life or home that's going to be damaged or destroyed.

Not one post with any consideration for others. 

I would like to see, although I doubt it, a report on last minute change of direction and the centre of the storm missing high population areas.

I agree that this is going to be some real miserable times for a lot of people and my heart goes out to them. I also hope heybruces' kid brother is going to be safe and in good hands. I've spent time in that area and the negative  economics alone are going to be staggering, let alone the threat to public safety. I believe there's another thread discussing the storm (or needs to be started) but if you look at the first word of the title of the news article these posts are commenting on, you see the name Trump, so naturally....... That being said I believe Trump sees this event as an opportunity, (especially with the elections coming up)  an opportunity to shine in the limelight. I used to watch his reality show for laugh sometimes and you can tell, he's addicted to allure of being center stage. This tragedy that's about to unfold provides the perfect platform at the perfect time for him. The positive side to all of this is that I believe first response and disaster relief will be unparalleled. There's a lot on the line for him at this juncture in time, I believe he will ensure the best effort is put forward.  

12 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

And we should take your word because...?

Another invocation of unverifiable personal experience. 

Maybe you were there, maybe not.

Who knows, who cares.

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Who knows, who cares.

Well clearly you do Sport since you follow me around here arguing with me. Why don't you just put me on your ignore list, as I am about to do to you. Have a fabulous day, I think I'll go count lizards.

Just now, Nyezhov said:

Well clearly you do Sport since you follow me around here arguing with me. Why don't you just put me on your ignore list, as I am about to do to you. Have a fabulous day, I think I'll go count lizards.

Only when you write falsehoods or you attempt to gain special authority by making claims based on alleged personal experience which by their nature are impossible to verify. It's not my fault you make such a frequent practice of it.

Everyone can reat easy now, Trump has it under control and will be making  sure to take care of things in between his tweet storms. 

Priority level:

1) Tweeting

2) Making sure his combover looks good for Sean Hannity's show

3) Saving human lives

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

36 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Who knows, who cares.

31 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

One might argue that a guy who writes "Dude here is my last word" and then continues posting has a minor credibility problem.

• Haha 1

Apparently, a new document has emerged that show the Trump administration transferred 50 million from FEMA to ICE and 29 million from the Coast Guard to ICE. Because, you know, the level of undocumented immigrationare is a life-threatening emergency.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/document-shows-dhs-transferring-29m-from-coast-guard-to-ice-1319254595508?v=raila&

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Apparently, a new document has emerged that show the Trump administration transferred 50 million from FEMA to ICE and 29 million from the Coast Guard to ICE. Because, you know, the level of undocumented immigrationare is a life-threatening emergency.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/document-shows-dhs-transferring-29m-from-coast-guard-to-ice-1319254595508?v=raila&

Actually it was only 29 million from the Coast Guard to Ice.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:48 AM, zaphod reborn said:

There's enough white votes in the Carolinas to justify an all-out FEMA response, unlike Puerto Rico where he just let the brown US citizens die.

Was also my first idea, when reading the first paragraph. The midterms are very near.

6 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I agree that this is going to be some real miserable times for a lot of people and my heart goes out to them. I also hope heybruces' kid brother is going to be safe and in good hands. I've spent time in that area and the negative  economics alone are going to be staggering, let alone the threat to public safety. I believe there's another thread discussing the storm (or needs to be started) but if you look at the first word of the title of the news article these posts are commenting on, you see the name Trump, so naturally....... That being said I believe Trump sees this event as an opportunity, (especially with the elections coming up)  an opportunity to shine in the limelight. I used to watch his reality show for laugh sometimes and you can tell, he's addicted to allure of being center stage. This tragedy that's about to unfold provides the perfect platform at the perfect time for him. The positive side to all of this is that I believe first response and disaster relief will be unparalleled. There's a lot on the line for him at this juncture in time, I believe he will ensure the best effort is put forward.  

If Trump knew what he was doing, or was willing to learn and do a little work, he might actually do some good.  However I think it is more likely he will vaguely delegate responsibilities, possibly to the wrong people, declare hurricane recovery a great success, and give himself full credit.

55 minutes ago, puck2 said:

Was also my first idea, when reading the first paragraph. The midterms are very near.

Did I just read the death toll in PR comes not from actual numbers but a computer model?

If so,the .gov in PR is even more incompetent than their response to the hurricanes.

5 hours ago, Becker said:

One might argue that a guy who writes "Dude here is my last word" and then continues posting has a minor credibility problem.

One might argue any ad hominem they want to cover up their lack of anything substantial to say.

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Did I just read the death toll in PR comes not from actual numbers but a computer model?

If so,the .gov in PR is even more incompetent than their response to the hurricanes.

One might argue any ad hominem they want to cover up their lack of anything substantial to say.

Calling you to account for what you say is not an ad hominem attack.

As for the use of a "computer model", that's a huge part of how public health is analyzed nowadays. I was going to write welcome to the 21st century, but really I should be asking you where you were during the 20th that you could be so unfamiliar with how large scale population studies are done. 

• Like 1