Starbucks

Badrabbit

16 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Your ignorance is astonishing and undermines any opinions you've expressed on this thread.

I'm guessing you haven't been there in decades, if at all. Perhaps not since you were kicked out of the Philippines with McArthur.

To make matters worse, Australia is also one of the few countries in which instant coffee consumption far outstrips that of freshly brewed coffee.

Almost 75 per cent of Australia's annual coffee consumption is instant.

It's a far cry from the "developed" coffee cultures of Italy and France, says Giuseppe Lavazza, one of the heirs to the eponymous Italian coffee empire

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/instant-gratification--the-myth-of-australias-coffee-culture-20160120-gma324.html

17 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Cha Payom and it's brothers and sisters great for me...25 Bt....Coffee Yen stalls 20 Bt...rock on.

Except at Starbucks, you get a comfy seat to watch the scenery strolling by.   The coffee's included in the seat rental.

You don't go to Starbucks for coffee, overpriced, sucks, like most coffee in Thailand. Bitter and roasted for too long, to hide the low quality of the beans. Best expressos are from Portugal, better than Spain's and Italy's, by a mile! Nespresso is a good and tasty alternative, the best that you can get here. Simple to make, consistent and no need to become a barista. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 1:45 PM, marcusarelus said:

Starbucks vs Nespresso at home.  I have 11 kinds of Nespresso coffee at home.  I like the variety.  Starbucks is bitter and boring. 

I drink either Espresso size or Longo size.  See below.  Starbucks is for folks who don't like coffee. 

For a reasonable Espresso pull you have to look at the bars of pressure of the machine first.  Then go from there.

First one should actually have a good cup of espresso and compare. 

Try one for free and then compare.  https://www.nespresso.com/th/en/nespresso-thailand-events

https://www.nespresso.com/sg/en/compare-coffee-range#!/by-range

nes.jpg

longo.jpg

Nespresso sucks and overpriced..  No real coffee drinker would ever drink that crap.

• Thanks 1

Why would anybody spend money at Starbucks for crappy coffee ? The average Thai cafe or push cart on the street has better tasting coffee. Oh Wait a minute,now I know" YOU"  want to be seen there with the "IN CROWD" WHOOPEE.    Or you do not know what real coffee taste like with out all that extra crap in it." Hey coffee lady where are my extra pumpkin sprinkles? "

22 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

They grind coffee beans package it and pull the shot at 19 bars of pressure.  Sure it is espresso.  Better than most with more variety.   My latest order just came in.  It takes a day or two from order.

nes (1).jpg

I'll stick with the freashly ground coffee beans, thank you. Why pay more for ground coffee? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Nespresso sucks and overpriced..  No real coffee drinker would ever drink that crap.

6.469 billion cups per year, that's 12,300 per minute.  You think you may be in error?  Are you another hater with no experience?  So, tell us how many kinds of Nespresso have you tried and in what kind of machine?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fullcave said:

I'll stick with the freashly ground coffee beans, thank you. Why pay more for ground coffee? 

You grind the beans and then heat up your machine and then make the coffee and throw away any leftover.  Takes Nespresso about a minute to heat up and pour a perfect espresso.  Steamed milk takes a minute.  I have 13 coffees to choose from every morning depending on my mood from beans all over the world.  How many do you have? 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You grind the beans and then heat up your machine and then make the coffee and throw away any leftover.  Takes Nespresso about a minute to heat up and pour a perfect espresso.  Steamed milk takes a minute.  I have 13 coffees to choose from every morning depending on my mood from beans all over the world.  How many do you have? 

Thirteen to choose from... all that Nespresso has roasted and toasted your brain if you need so many choices for a simple cup of coffee in your own home ? 

Tarbucks coffee and  desserts  stink. It was already too expensive even before this price increase.

Seems like most Tarbucks customers are buying sweet mixed drinks vs coffee there.

That being said, if the Tarbucks location has comfy soft chairs and a relaxing atmosphere, it is worth the extortionate prices to sit and have a hot tea and campout for an hour or two. 

There is NO reason to ever buy anything at Tarbucks if they dont offer comfy relaxing chairs.

Edited by Mysterion
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, kkerry said:

Thirteen to choose from... all that Nespresso has roasted and toasted your brain if you need so many choices for a simple cup of coffee in your own home ? 

https://www.nespresso.com/sg/en/coffee-origins

Variety is the spice of life.  Do you eat the same food every for dinner?

I like to have coffee I've never had.  I like to try food I've never tasted.

I'm not boring. 

Regardless of the quality/taste, the thing that surprises me most about Starbucks, is the price especially in the Philippines and Thailand. The price for a medium coffee is close to one third of the daily wage for many locals. In my local Starbucks in AC it is full of school age kids most afternoons, dunno how they can afford it. 

As 'marcusarelus" wrote, the most advantages in Nespresso system or similar coffee brewing system, is the time saving, then of course we can like or dislike this procedure, but at the end a "perfect espresso" is not even close to a Nespresso or other similar coffee brewing system, but overall we all have different taste and different life style so we must to adapt even the simple things, as a cup of coffee, to match with our necessity.

Anyway i never ever drunk a Nespresso so i can't say if i like it or not.

The same Starbucks coffee that costs $2.65 in California costs $4.00 in Thailand. It's the ridiculous excise tax that makes everything imported cost 2 to 5 times more in  Thailand.

A 1.5 litre of Australian wine purchased in Thailand costs 469 Baht  or about $14,35.  I can  purchase the same 1.5 litre bottle in the US  for around $5.00-   That's almost a 300% markup in Thailand.  .It's called protectionism. 

8 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

Regardless of the quality/taste, the thing that surprises me most about Starbucks, is the price especially in the Philippines and Thailand. The price for a medium coffee is close to one third of the daily wage for many locals. In my local Starbucks in AC it is full of school age kids most afternoons, dunno how they can afford it. 

I don't see many poor people in the Starbucks I go to.  I see my doctor occasionally and Bangkok Bank Manager and the guy who I built my wife's house.  

On 9/12/2018 at 1:32 PM, Psimbo said:

I'd rather have a decent cup of coffee at home. Never, ever, been in a Starbucks and don't plan to.

You don't go to Starbucks for the coffee, which's mediocre at best. They say it's the ambiance but I don't see it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

You don't go to Starbucks for the coffee, which's mediocre at best. They say it's the ambiance but I don't see it. 

I've seen some very impressive looking Starbucks in Bangkok. I'd love to go have a coffee there sometimes but I just don't like their version of coffee.

Edited by kkerry

On 9/12/2018 at 11:22 AM, Badrabbit said:

Wow Starbucks just increased there prices, Latte 16oz now up by 15bht from 130 to 145bht,

How Much? ? ? ? ?

For a Coffee? ? ? ? ?

Glad i ain't no city slicker and i'll stick to bein' a country bumpkin....

11 minutes ago, Quickmill said:

As 'marcusarelus" wrote, the most advantages in Nespresso system or similar coffee brewing system, is the time saving, then of course we can like or dislike this procedure, but at the end a "perfect espresso" is not even close to a Nespresso or other similar coffee brewing system, but overall we all have different taste and different life style so we must to adapt even the simple things, as a cup of coffee, to match with our necessity.

Anyway i never ever drunk a Nespresso so i can't say if i like it or not.

All other things being equal the system is measured by the bars of pressure that pull the espresso shot.  Strange,that little machine pulls as good a shot as the giant one in the store because the pressure is the same or better.  Nespresso heats in less than a minute and pulls at 19 bars of pressure. I used it next to my professional machines at work and It's the same or better with none of the grind and cleanup. 

I've used professional machines all of my adult life starting at Perrys in SF.  You can see the machine on the bar at the time I started working there. 

You should pull one shot of water in the Nespresso and preheat your cup and the second shot use for the coffee.  The grind is always correct and fresh and the crema just right.  

I like variety in my coffee and some times I want an espresso or ristretto or longo.  No trouble with the Nespresso machine.

I can change the length of the pull easily. 

perry_sepia-640x330.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kkerry said:

...but somewhat obsessed with Nespresso ?

I used to be obsessed with espresso.  Roasting and grinding my own beans.  I used 3 different machines at home and a big one at work.  Then I bought a Nespresso and the whole process became simple.  Now my only difficult declension is ordering the new locations/styles that come out once a year or so and if I like them what to do when they are discontinued.  The best cheap coffee I've ever had?  Whatever the machine at Took Li Dee at Foodland is.  It does a wonderful job.  Great big breakfasts there and a great coffee for a couple of hundred baht.  Coffee machine on the right.  Not much for decor or ambience. 

Took-Lae-Dee.jpg

1 hour ago, kkerry said:

I've seen some very impressive looking Starbucks in Bangkok. I'd love to go have a coffee there sometimes but I just don't like their version of coffee.

I'm not impressed by their coffee but my wife and I do like their desserts eg apple turnover, cinnamon rolls.