Horizontal water tank

Becker

I've never seen one, but even if you do find one it's going to be awkward to clean. The water supply here is dirty at best, lots of sand and grit and mud coming along with the water. I need to clean my water tank at least once a year. This involves draining the tank almost empty (but not so far that your water pump sucks in air) and then some enterprising Thai lowers himself into the tank and scrubs the walls clean of the muddy deposits and then, bucket-by-bucket, cleans out the filthy water left in the bottom of the tank. It's back-breaking and nasty work even in a big, vertical tank, how will anybody manage to do that in a horizontal one?

29 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I've never seen one, but even if you do find one it's going to be awkward to clean. The water supply here is dirty at best, lots of sand and grit and mud coming along with the water. I need to clean my water tank at least once a year. This involves draining the tank almost empty (but not so far that your water pump sucks in air) and then some enterprising Thai lowers himself into the tank and scrubs the walls clean of the muddy deposits and then, bucket-by-bucket, cleans out the filthy water left in the bottom of the tank. It's back-breaking and nasty work even in a big, vertical tank, how will anybody manage to do that in a horizontal one?

I would think a horizontal one would be easier since you'd be lying on your back.

About the water, a filter for the incoming water is around 20k, I got one of those "Master" brand filters. Water in tank is pristine.

Never actually seen a horizontal tank. A stainless steel shop should be able to take a vertical one, weld the cap shut and make a new cap on the side.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 3:17 PM, DrTuner said:

I would think a horizontal one would be easier since you'd be lying on your back.

About the water, a filter for the incoming water is around 20k, I got one of those "Master" brand filters. Water in tank is pristine.

Never actually seen a horizontal tank. A stainless steel shop should be able to take a vertical one, weld the cap shut and make a new cap on the side.

there are a dozen companies in Thailand who produce horizontal tanks. but all commercial high volumes, i.e. 12,000 liters and more.

upright tanks can't be installed horizontal without a concrete bed supporting minimum half of the circumference to avoid collapsing.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but we saw (both at HomePro and Cotto) water tanks shaped as seating places (bench like, rather comfy). Looked fun, and if we'd thought about it earlier it might have been a better fit for the house design. Size of tanks was about the usual fare for domestic use - 700 to 2000 liters, if I remember correctly.

16 hours ago, Morch said:

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but we saw (both at HomePro and Cotto) water tanks shaped as seating places (bench like, rather comfy). Looked fun, and if we'd thought about it earlier it might have been a better fit for the house design. Size of tanks was about the usual fare for domestic use - 700 to 2000 liters, if I remember correctly.

They had brochures for those kind of tanks in Homepro but the biggest one I saw was only 700 ltrs and quite expensive.

22 minutes ago, Becker said:

They had brochures for those kind of tanks in Homepro but the biggest one I saw was only 700 ltrs and quite expensive.

Yes, smaller ones at HomePro, bigger versions at Cotto. Guess a matter of what on display and space available. Saleswoman said they can also be made to order - shape and size (with added cost) but we didn't pursue this angle.

Archived