Growing "aji dulce" or sweet pepper in Bangkok

Polanskiman

Hello All, the first pic is from a add showing the difference that a container

makes growing the same plant.

Scoop1 had a drip system that was gravity feed, no pump. Just a valve to

control the the drip. A piece of 16cm LDPE in a X across the top of the 5gal

bucket, with upside-down dripper's so that he got nutes spread out. One for

each bucket, there's a few pictures on one of the NON-Pinned hydro threads.

I'm a fan of coir, RTW hydro. I'm trying some of the cloth bags, I'm trying somw

out now. Need more sun and less rain, chili plants take the rain better that toms.

I've used mostly black poly grow bags, 8"x8"x16", now trying a few B & W cloth

from AliX, 7gal and got some 2gal to try. The W-hite bags suck.

The cloth bags a great for treating and rinsing coir before use.

The last pic shows W & B 7gal, the new today 2 gat and 8x8x16 poly bag.

rice555

fabric-grow-pots-air-pot-fabric-pot-and-upgraded-standard-pot-fabric-grow-pots-reviews copy.jpg

40thieves package.png

7Gal black.png

2:7gal cloth bags.png

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it something like this you were referring to? At least this has the benefit of being self contained thus not requiring an secondary tank for nutrients.
waterfarm.jpg.932bfdc5dd88f3e9dfc6e8716f030d79.jpg
Yes, this is the principle even this particular product is new to me.

8 hours ago, CLW said:
18 hours ago, Polanskiman said:
Is it something like this you were referring to? At least this has the benefit of being self contained thus not requiring an secondary tank for nutrients.
waterfarm.jpg.932bfdc5dd88f3e9dfc6e8716f030d79.jpg

Yes, this is the principle even this particular product is new to me.

I could go with something like that but as usual the same old boring issue pops up. We are in Thailand and those type of self-contained dripping system are not sold here. Grrr. Guess I would need to improvise something there. 

15 hours ago, rice555 said:

Scoop1 had a drip system that was gravity feed, no pump. Just a valve to

control the the drip. A piece of 16cm LDPE in a X across the top of the 5gal

bucket, with upside-down dripper's so that he got nutes spread out. One for

each bucket, there's a few pictures on one of the NON-Pinned hydro threads.

How would he pump up the nutrients back to the nutrient bucket?
Will look for those pictures.

2 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

How would he pump up the nutrients back to the nutrient bucket?

It doesnt he is using a run to waste system, waste is the key word here with the nutrients not taken up by the plants just running out the bottom of the container, a total waste of expensive nutrients being thrown away, And its not even considered to be a hydroponic system. Just someone using water soluble nutrient solutions to feed a plant.

4 minutes ago, Notagain said:

It doesnt he is using a run to waste system, waste is the key word here with the nutrients not taken up by the plants just running out the bottom of the container, a total waste of expensive nutrients being thrown away, And its not even considered to be a hydroponic system. Just someone using water soluble nutrient solutions to feed a plant.

That is what I always thought about run to waste systems. Not sure I understand the purpose of wasting nutrients in such a way when they can actually be reused to a certain degree.

This is the post rice555 was referring to:

In any case I will try to build that drip system with an air pump. If I could just buy this (https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Farm-Hydroponic-Systems/dp/B0002JAY6E) it would make things much easier but again we are in Thailand so I will need to revert to a DIY system. If anyone can help then please chime in.

Personally I think with your plants at the stage they are you shouldn't wait any longer and just put together the system in your youtube video and see how it goes, then decide on your next system as they grow. 5 gal bucket systems with a mix of coir and perlite should be fine for your peppers growth.

13 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Personally I think with your plants at the stage they are you shouldn't wait any longer and just put together the system in your youtube video and see how it goes, then decide on your next system as they grow. 5 gal bucket systems with a mix of coir and perlite should be fine for your peppers growth.

Yes I would have done it weeks ago if only it was not so difficult to source things in this country.

I am actually planning to do both systems so to learn double ????

For the self watering system I have everything mostly ready except for one thing: the buckets! It is a pain to find because I want the bucket to be 5 gallons at least and food grade (PP or HDPE). Actually I found a company a few days ago that produces the buckets here in Thailand but only do wholesale. Great! Buying 300 buckets is not really an option for me. Buying them online is just prohibitively expensive.

19 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Go a hydrocarbon store haha thats what i call those shops they sell every kind of plastic item you can imagine. Even a small 5-7 gal trash container would work for you. You have to be creative here in thailand.

Obviously I have contacted all those shops! They don't have it. I have asked and searched google like no one before! Buckets need to be the tall types. For some reason they very difficult to source here but not impossible. Still in talks with that company to see if then can send me some samples. Hopefully yes.

Using trash containers is a really bad idea. They are made of plastics that are not suitable because they can and will bleach chemicals to the substrate specially when exposed to heat and other chemicals or to acidic/basic environments. Most hydroponic plastics (at least the reliable ones) are and should be made from PP, HDPE, LDPE and to some degree PET. Anything else (PVC, PS etc) is actually not really safe in the long run. Sure one grow wont affect things much but hey better do things right the first time no?

Obviously I have contacted all those shops! They don't have it. I have asked and searched google like no one before! Buckets need to be the tall types. For some reason they very difficult to source here but not impossible. Still in talks with that company to see if then can send me some samples. Hopefully yes.

Using trash containers is a really bad idea. They are made of plastics that are not suitable because they can and will bleach chemicals to the substrate specially when exposed to heat and other chemicals or to acidic/basic environments. Most hydroponic plastics (at least the reliable ones) are and should be made from PP, HDPE, LDPE and to some degree PET. Anything else (PVC, PS etc) is actually not really safe in the long run. Sure one grow wont affect things much but hey better do things right the first time no?
If one product that is easy to find in Thailand it should be plastic buckets.
You can find a stamp at the bottom that shows what materials are used.
By the way PVC and PS are rarely, if not at all used for rigid plastics.

Getting a certified food grade plastic is what you want, pvc is what your drinking water comes from as an example. Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much as not enough bad stuff is going to leach out of it to make a real difference, Hows that bangkok air quality by the way ?

21 minutes ago, CLW said:

If one product that is easy to find in Thailand it should be plastic buckets.
You can find a stamp at the bottom that shows what materials are used.
By the way PVC and PS are rarely, if not at all used for rigid plastics.

If that is the case I challenge you to find a 5 gallon bucket similar the ones on the picture below with a lid. Yes I know where the plastic stamp is. Please don't advise to use paint colour buckets. Clearly those would def. not be suitable although largely available here.

71pavmbEXuL._SY550_.jpg.420ca409a75fa162f1373158ef47b388.jpgpaint-buckets-lids-05glblk-64_1000.jpg.dd96cb1557341ff8ddea1c302ac744be.jpg

If that is the case I challenge you to find a 5 gallon bucket similar the ones on the picture below with a lid. Yes I know where the plastic stamp is. Please don't advise to use paint colour buckets. Clearly those would def. not be suitable although largely available here.

71pavmbEXuL._SY550_.jpg.420ca409a75fa162f1373158ef47b388.jpgpaint-buckets-lids-05glblk-64_1000.jpg.dd96cb1557341ff8ddea1c302ac744be.jpg
How about the black plastic bins that are sold at Supermarkets and DIY stores?

Just now, CLW said:
6 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

How about the black plastic bins that are sold at Supermarkets and DIY stores?

Those of 20 gallons with a pretty wide opening and made of PS?
https://www.homepro.co.th/product/286297

I am looking for 5 gallons ????

Okay no offense but you are really getting a little ridiculous, they make cakes and sweets in every grocery store and coffee shop-mom and pop store here, you need to realize you aint gonna get exactly what you want here and have to compromise a little. Good luck to you on your growing.

26 minutes ago, Notagain said:

Okay no offense but you are really getting a little ridiculous, they make cakes and sweets in every grocery store and coffee shop-mom and pop store here, you need to realize you aint gonna get exactly what you want here and have to compromise a little. Good luck to you on your growing.

No offence but then "I am getting a little ridiculous"! Interesting way of talking.

I am aware that I wont find the same thing as what is on the picture but I can't even find anything close. The bucket needs a lid as a minimum and be around 5 gallons. That's basically it. I don't want to have a 20+ gallon taking a sh*t load of space. I have my own constraints and very little space. I don't own a big house with a big garden and space where I can do what I want. Not sure why that is being ridiculous. I'll go check those shop-mom and pop stores see if they have some spare buckets!

• 3 weeks later...

After doing some research I came to the conclusion that using neem seed oil (with possibly some dish soap) would do the trick. I found a Thai company selling some neem seed extract here: https://www.thaineem.co.th/product/17/thai-neem-no-111-neem-seed-extract-1000-cc

I will most certainly have to apply this on a regular basis for prevention but at least it is an organic product. I wanted to avoid heavy chemical and toxic products.

On 11/11/2018 at 8:11 PM, Polanskiman said:

After doing some research I came to the conclusion that using neem seed oil (with possibly some dish soap) would do the trick. I found a Thai company selling some neem seed extract here: https://www.thaineem.co.th/product/17/thai-neem-no-111-neem-seed-extract-1000-cc

I will most certainly have to apply this on a regular basis for prevention but at least it is an organic product. I wanted to avoid heavy chemical and toxic products.

Hey, thanks for the link, been looking for neem for a while as my last lot is nearly finished and the shop has stopped selling due to no demand.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I grow different chili this year and had before same problem as you. This look like virus caused by whiteflies or gnats. Against whiteflies - use abamectin spray , against gnats larvae what stay in the soil - Sparke G granule ( both you can order in Lazada ). I used to spray every 10 days to eliminate all.

If you want to grow without pesticide , grow only in covered green house and better hydroponic or  use mix coco coir with soil and fertilize daily with hydroponic liquid.

46670152_202021534045801_8148887058958516224_n.jpg

46516496_485486168525726_7030579563373527040_n.jpg

46638458_578994092550006_6242794806515335168_ns.jpg

46810977_717701921920947_4541414662633160704_n.jpg

1 hour ago, ELL said:

Hello, I grow different chili this year and had before same problem as you. This look like virus caused by whiteflies or gnats. Against whiteflies - use abamectin spray , against gnats larvae what stay in the soil - Sparke G granule ( both you can order in Lazada ). I used to spray every 10 days to eliminate all.

If you want to grow without pesticide , grow only in covered green house and better hydroponic or  use mix coco coir with soil and fertilize daily with hydroponic liquid.

Ok thanks. I was using some neem seed oil but the plants still seem slow and the new leaves where growing wrinkled. Are these the insecticides you are referring to:

1 - Abamectin: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/100-i209683620-s315987016.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.41.7b7169c5KlviY0&search=1

2 - Starkle G: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/starkle-g-250-i224376198-s342916371.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.29074776R3FMIn&search=1

yes, correct.  I tried before neem oil, garlic+ chili mix, wood vinegar etc.. All organic solutions. Even spray every day.. Some chili die,but not whiteflies .. they gone and come again.. after starting to spray abamectin new leaves start good again ( old already cannot change) and plants start grow fast and start flowering. Also if you want to eliminate gnats larvae, cover soil after put granule with thick lawyer of coco coir, look like gnats not like it and not put eggs in soil after.

19 minutes ago, ELL said:

yes, correct.  I tried before neem oil, garlic+ chili mix, wood vinegar etc.. All organic solutions. Even spray every day.. Some chili die,but not whiteflies .. they gone and come again.. after starting to spray abamectin new leaves start good again ( old already cannot change) and plants start grow fast and start flowering.

Great. Thanks for sharing. I ended up ordering from this company (http://garden.sotus.co.th/site/index.php) which was cheaper than from Lazada. 

The hint from some other member seems to be correct.
It is some kind of virus that infects nightshade family plants transmitted by insects.
However, to completely eradicate this disease is almost impossible.
As you said you have to spray insecticide regularly and something with quick effect.
That's why neem probably has a lesser effect than others.
The suggested Abamectin is a good choice because it is derived from fungi and considered less toxic.
However, to avoid all this hassle most professional growers choose varieties that are resistant against these virus diseases.
Maybe for your next grow you should choose those.

The other chemical, Starkle G / Dinetofuran, I would be careful.
It is a strong systemic neonicotinoid and not approved in the EU and Switzerland.
I would not want to have it in my food.
I use it only in some cases for ornamental plants on my balcony because it has a very long period of action.
Just telling you, I understand that you want to protect your plants.

Archived