The Yellow Shirt Brigade

terry57

ok punters,

im going to open myself up to a good slagging off here but thats perfectly ok by me as im ready for it.

i was reading a thread on the forum where some posters were giving farangs that were the yellow shirt on mondays a good kicking.

i'll tell you all why i wear the yellow shirt on mondays and i would like to hear some feed back from the thais on this forum or from farang's that have thai wives and what there wives think about this issue.

as you all know, ive been comming to los for 20 years and respect thai people, thai culture and the royalty in particular.

i love to see the thais wearing there yellow shirts on monday, as the respect it shows for the royal family impresses me no end and no western royal family seems to come near this level of respect.

i have always been under the impression that for myself to wear the yellow shirt is showing that i also respect the royalty and traditions of los.

i feel good wearing the colours on mondays and many thai people have complemented me on my appearance and i have always felt i was doing the right thing.

im a decent looking guy and make sure im dressed ok on a monday so i cant be accused of being a farang looser taking the piss.

ive never thought that i could be viewed as a farang looser until i read some of the posts on this forum.

in conclusion i would like to know what the general consensus is on this issue.

but i got to tell you punters, if you give me a good kicking im still going to wear my yellow shirt on mondays. :D

bring it on people. :o

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, wifey puts the yellow out for me on monday.

Seems appreciated by the Thais in the office too (or they're being polite). Smile from the regular lady on the toll booth too.

EDIT Also means you can go to ANY meeting (up to and including ministerial) on a monday without a tie if wearing the yellow :o

Edited by Crossy

Yep, wifey puts the yellow out for me on monday.

Seems appreciated by the Thais in the office too (or they're being polite). Smile from the regular lady on the toll booth too.

Every monday is yellow day,my wife,neighbours,appreciate this so i continue to do it.

I accidentally wore a yellow shirt one monday (don't think I even realized it was Monday at the time :o ) and I got smiles and appreciative looks all around.

I think it shows respect and I see nothing wrong with that.

I was going to buy a nice yellow shirt to wear on Mondays (pale yellow, not those ugly bright yellow ones). Anyway, I made the mistake of mentioning it to my girlfriend and she was not keen on the idea to say the least. She feels it's a hollow gesture, and pointed out how every corrupt politician and jailbird wears the yellow shirt, which signifies nothing. Instead, we're rehabilitating a forest that all the yellow shirt wearers destroyed, using sustainable forestry methods that the King espouses.

Anyway, I don'y see anything wrong with wearing it, as long as you're not engaged in some stupid activity or debauchery at the time.

Edited by lannarebirth

I was going to buy a nice yellow shirt to wear on Mondays (pale yellow, not those ugly bright yellow ones). Anyway, I made the mistake of mentioning it to my girlfriend and she was not keen on the idea to say the least. She feels it's a hollow gesture, and pointed out how every corrupt politician and jailbird wears the yellow shirt, which signifies nothing. Instead, we're rehabilitating a forest that all the yellow shirt wearers destroyed, using sustainable forestry methods that the King espouses.

Anyway, I don'y see anything wrong with wearing it, as long as you're not engaged in some stupid activity or debauchery at the time.

tell her every one of those corrupt politicians breathes and eats, maybe you should stop those too?!

Yellow is my favorite colour and I'm wearing it almost everyday, therefore my Thai colleague always smile at me. :o

Bl00dy unreadable text though, had to hilite it to see :D

EDIT AW, now you've changed it, makes me look like the prat I sometimes am :D

Edited by Crossy

tell her every one of those corrupt politicians breathes and eats, maybe you should stop those too?!

I made an even better argument than that, but it's not worth disharmony once per week.

im very surprised to hear that your girlfriend thinks this way as the majority of thais do wear the colours, and to suggest its a hollow gesture does not fit in with the the mind set of respect for the royalty.

but thanks for your opinion and thats why im asking this question. :o

im very surprised to hear that your girlfriend thinks this way as the majority of thais do wear the colours, and to suggest its a hollow gesture does not fit in with the the mind set of respect for the royalty.

many of them have to wear it when they go to work, you could think of it like a uniform, so its not really a choice as such.

Edited by Grover

She's of the opinion it's what people do that matters, not what people say(clothing as speech apparently). People have to wear something on Monday anyway, and Yellow is a primary color which they'd likely wear at least one day a week anyway. So basically they're just opting for that day to be Monday.

I thinks its OK for a farang to wear the yellow shirt. However, I can also see the contradictions. To Thais, the current King is a near deity, and that feeling is really meant to be reserved to Thai people, isn't it? If you are not Thai, he is not your King, and certainly not your near-deity. We can respect him and admire him (or whatever you feel otherwise and keep it to yourself) but until Thailand becomes a culture that encourages assimilation of immigrants (never?) then almost all of us are outsiders to one degree or another. So some might see it as phony or delusional.

My own feeling is if it makes you happy and doesn't offend Thai people, why not?

Edited by Jingthing

She's of the opinion it's what people do that matters, not what people say(clothing as speech apparently). People have to wear something on Monday anyway, and Yellow is a primary color which they'd likely wear at least one day a week anyway. So basically they're just opting for that day to be Monday.

thats an interesting comment as i thought monday was the designated day for thais to show respect for the royal family.

am i wrong on this one?

I thinks its OK for a farang to wear the yellow shirt. However, I can also see the contradictions. To Thais, the current King is a near deity, and that feeling is really meant to be reserved to Thai people, isn't it? If you are not Thai, he is not your King, and certainly not your near-deity. We can respect him and admire him (or whatever you feel otherwise and keep it to yourself) but until Thailand becomes a culture that encourages assimilation of immigrants (never?) then almost all of us are outsiders to one degree or another. So some might see it as phony or delusional.

My own feeling is if it makes you happy and doesn't offend Thai people, why not?

thats a fair comment and i agree with the last line of your post. :o

thats an interesting comment as i thought monday was the designated day for thais to show respect for the royal family.

am i wrong on this one?

Sort of. The King was born on a Monday. Thais have colors for each day of the week. yellow is the color for Monday, hence yellow is the Kings color.

I think it shows respect and I see nothing wrong with that.

Absolutely, keep it up Terry :o

This kind of thinking is why I am one of Terry's many disciples! :D

thanks for that MR G and thats why we will having a nice drink together sometime soon. :D

am i wrong on this one?

Not really, AFAIK each day has a colour, monday is yellow, friday is light blue. The king was born on a monday so his colour is yellow, the Queen was born on a friday so her colour is light blue, wearing either is intended to show respect.

I too am of the opinion to not wear a yellow shirt on Mondays. I did however wear my Yellow shirt on the King's birthday out of respect as I do admire and respect the King greatly.

I feel rather uncomfortable about it as seeing that I am not Thai and never will be Thai. Almost as if intruding on the Thai's and their culture. I have discussed with Thai's and Falangs alike and the response from most of Thai's it that it would be alright, I would suspect that it would be impolite to suggest otherwise.

Most of the Falangs I discussed the issue with that do wear the yellow shirt say that the Thai's generally appreciate the gesture.

LL

am i wrong on this one?

Sort of. The King was born on a Monday. Thais have colors for each day of the week. yellow is the color for Monday, hence yellow is the Kings color.

so im right in saying that thais wear yellow on monday to show respect for the birth of the king?