The Yellow Shirt Brigade

terry57

I think many of us can not appreciate the depth or nature of feeling that the Thais have for their King. He is not just a monarch- he is their father in an almost literal sense. He is seen to embody the essence of what it is to be Thai. Most Thais know that we can never understand that- and they are correct.

Perhaps an analogy could be the born again Christian who sees people who think Jesus was real cool dude, wearing a crucifix. For some, it's not a problem- for others, however, it represents appropriation of something which they feel is uniquely theirs.

Just because Thais smile or give you a 'thumbs up' when you wear it-- well, you've been hanging around here long enough to know that means nothing. Yes for many, it will be recognized as a sign of respect- but a kiind of silly respect- a bit amusing- like a foreigner wearing a farmers lantern-hat- without a single calous on his hands- or a bunch of Chinese tourists in Wyoming posing with big white stetsons. For others though, it will be seen as our total lack of understanding of what their King means to them. In the way natives back home view white folks doing the sweat lodge/sundance thing.

i think your going to deeply into it as its only small token on the farangs part that they respect the king.

thats all it is and nothing complicated.

cheers.

Totally agree with you- I was trying to look at it from the perspective of the Thais. And I think many of them know that it is your way of showing respect for something that you can never fully understand. When you wear a yellow shirt and some of them- many of them- wear a yellow shirt- it means two entirely different things. For them the king is their refuge in these stormy times. (As I'm sure you know, the abundance of yellow on Mondays is a very recent thing). For you he is a great man- but not a refuge- not your soul incarnate- many of them realize that it is your humble way of showing respect for them and their monarch. Many. But perhaps not all... hel_l- wear it- you know what it means to you- that's what's important. Can't please everybody.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ok punters,

im going to open myself up to a good slagging off here but thats perfectly ok by me as im ready for it.

i was reading a thread on the forum where some posters were giving farangs that were the yellow shirt on mondays a good kicking.

i'll tell you all why i wear the yellow shirt on mondays and i would like to hear some feed back from the thais on this forum or from farang's that have thai wives and what there wives think about this issue.

as you all know, ive been comming to los for 20 years and respect thai people, thai culture and the royalty in particular.

i love to see the thais wearing there yellow shirts on monday, as the respect it shows for the royal family impresses me no end and no western royal family seems to come near this level of respect.

i have always been under the impression that for myself to wear the yellow shirt is showing that i also respect the royalty and traditions of los.

i feel good wearing the colours on mondays and many thai people have complemented me on my appearance and i have always felt i was doing the right thing.

im a decent looking guy and make sure im dressed ok on a monday so i cant be accused of being a farang looser taking the piss.

ive never thought that i could be viewed as a farang looser until i read some of the posts on this forum.

in conclusion i would like to know what the general consensus is on this issue.

but i got to tell you punters, if you give me a good kicking im still going to wear my yellow shirt on mondays. :D

bring it on people. :o

without a doubt the king is a greatly respected man and the thais love him. i am wondering how you feel about your own queen terry?? elizabeth is also a great woman and has done many worthwhile things in her life. how do you show respect to her ? do you wear a union jack t-shirt once a week??

When I was at the weekend market, they had some very nice yellow shirts with white accent. I wish I had purchased one. I wanted one but it is difficult to find a shirt there that will fit properly. Some shirts I buy in Thailand are form fitting and I find that some of the Thai ladies giggle at me as they pass by. I think that if I were to wear a yellow shirt in support of the King it should be a good fit and not fit me as if I was in Pattaya on my way to the disco.

I was given a yellow rubber wristband that proclaimed my support for the King. I enjoyed wearing it and received many smiles and thumbs-up from the people who noticed it.

Good on yer Terry.

I do sometimes wear a yellow shirt on Monday and it seems to get a positive response from the Thais.

Sorry to give you an 'on' topic response, however I do not live in a Thai village with lots and lots of 'insiders ' giving me all sorts of valuable information as to the whys and wherefores of what might or might not have happened between the years 1802 and 1914.

Nor did I used to work for any secret organisation, nor do I know of any libraries that might stock "The Worlds Biggest Secrets".

Terry. Reasonable question, and I applaud the fact that this 'normal' question brings out answers from the Norm to the wierd and wonderful :bah::D:D

Well, at least then you should know that the important dates in Thailand are not from 1802 to 1914, but from 1870 to 1932, and then 1945 to 1957, and then, highly important the period between 1973 and 1976.

For that you just need to open any history book, no need to be a member of secret societies or to live in a village.

But i understand that books are getting out of fashion now, and unimaginative repetitions of what somebody else has chewed out for you are the flavour of the month.

:o

:D:D

i got to tell you jack that im loving this debate like a macdonalds burger and hot <deleted> chips. :D

i asked a question about the yellow shirt and the responses are classic.

its good crack mate. :D:o

l

if it was a bright pink shirt not yellow one, then would you wear it ?

i would like to hear some feed back from the thais on this forum or from farang's that have thai wives and what there wives think about this issue.

Real shame this part of the OP never happened before the thread closure .... and we are just left with other farang's impressions.

you been drinking again SJ . :D

Made me think for a minute, I didn't close it!

anyway, terry, to answer this question from the two Thai people I know who would give me a straight answer:

hubby: doesn't think anything at all about it, what you wear is your personal choice

cook: think that when it is a long-term farang resident wearing the yellow "I love the king" shirt that it is a very nice show of respect.

there you go punters, SBK has been here forever and she has just told you that good old terry is barking up the right tree. :D

thanks for that SBK and can you please tell the cook that im getting hungry and would like a cow moo dang . :o

i would like to hear some feed back from the thais on this forum or from farang's that have thai wives and what there wives think about this issue.

Real shame this part of the OP never happened before the thread closure .... and we are just left with other farang's impressions.

you been drinking again SJ . :o

Just predicting it's ultimate closure same as other yellow shirt threads, but was hoping to hear more directly this time from Thais or Thai spouse's views or opinions. We did get some earlier replies that the yellow shirts were set out on Monday so I would conclude the Thais in those situations have a positive thought about it... same as mine does.

i think your going to deeply into it as its only small token on the farangs part that they respect the king.

thats all it is and nothing complicated

... and btw, I agree

Edited by sriracha john

ok punters,

im going to open myself up to a good slagging off here but thats perfectly ok by me as im ready for it.

i was reading a thread on the forum where some posters were giving farangs that were the yellow shirt on mondays a good kicking.

i'll tell you all why i wear the yellow shirt on mondays and i would like to hear some feed back from the thais on this forum or from farang's that have thai wives and what there wives think about this issue.

as you all know, ive been comming to los for 20 years and respect thai people, thai culture and the royalty in particular.

i love to see the thais wearing there yellow shirts on monday, as the respect it shows for the royal family impresses me no end and no western royal family seems to come near this level of respect.

i have always been under the impression that for myself to wear the yellow shirt is showing that i also respect the royalty and traditions of los.

i feel good wearing the colours on mondays and many thai people have complemented me on my appearance and i have always felt i was doing the right thing.

im a decent looking guy and make sure im dressed ok on a monday so i cant be accused of being a farang looser taking the piss.

ive never thought that i could be viewed as a farang looser until i read some of the posts on this forum.

but i got to tell you punters, if you give me a good kicking im still going to wear my yellow shirt on mondays. :o

bring it on people. :bah:

Good on yer Terry.

I do sometimes wear a yellow shirt on Monday and it seems to get a positive response from the Thais.

Sorry to give you an 'on' topic response, however I do not live in a Thai village with lots and lots of 'insiders ' giving me all sorts of valuable information as to the whys and wherefores of what might or might not have happened between the years 1802 and 1914.

Nor did I used to work for any secret organisation, nor do I know of any libraries that might stock "The Worlds Biggest Secrets".

Terry. Reasonable question, and I applaud the fact that this 'normal' question brings out answers from the Norm to the wierd and wonderful :D:D:D

i got to tell you jack that im loving this debate like a macdonalds burger and hot <deleted> chips. ;)

l

Well at least I know where to go if I want a history lesson and a cure for insomnia :bah:

anyway, terry, to answer this question from the two Thai people I know who would give me a straight answer:

And i have no idea how to put the straight answer of my wife into words that won't get me a holiday for flaming. Basically, she neither likes the yellow shirts in general, nor in particular does she like farang wearing them. The only excuse for her are the poor sods that have to wear them because their boss says so.

ok punters,

but i got to tell you punters, if you give me a good kicking im still going to wear my yellow shirt on mondays. :D

bring it on people. :D

without a doubt the king is a greatly respected man and the thais love him. i am wondering how you feel about your own queen terry?? elizabeth is also a great woman and has done many worthwhile things in her life. how do you show respect to her ? do you wear a union jack t-shirt once a week??

cricky's mate, im a bloody dinky dye aussie bleeder and dont wear no ###### union jack. :D

but i do like the queen as i think she's a cracking sort and i do have top respect for her.

old charlie is a bit of a worry though. :o

i got to tell you jack that im loving this debate like a macdonalds burger and hot <deleted> chips. :bah:

l

if it was a bright pink shirt not yellow one, then would you wear it ?

you got me there grover, and the answer to your very complicated question has to be definatley not. :D

i must make this perfectly clear that my gate only swings one way. :D :D

ok punters,

cricky's mate, im a bloody dinky dye aussie bleeder and dont wear no ###### union jack. :D

but i do like the queen as i think she's a cracking sort and i do have top respect for her.

old charlie is a bit of a worry though. :o

like it or not she is your queen .why do you feel the need to wear a yellow shirt for the king of thailand ?whats wrong with a union jack once a week for liz?? havnt you got a ****** union jack on your flag ? :D

And i have no idea how to put the straight answer of my wife into words that won't get me a holiday for flaming. Basically, she neither likes the yellow shirts in general, nor in particular does she like farang wearing them. The only excuse for her are the poor sods that have to wear them because their boss says so.

dont worry about it polycat as SBK is the boss on this discussion, so you lose and i win. :o

thanks mate . :D

I think the wearing of the yellow shirt is..censored..because if you really think about it..censored..so any right minded person..censored..censored..zzzzzz..censored, blah, blah, blah.

What waste of time this is.

We can't really talk about it, so mods remove this..censored..

Good on yer Terry.

Terry. Reasonable question, and I applaud the fact that this 'normal' question brings out answers from the Norm to the wierd and wonderful

Well, at least then you should know that the important dates in Thailand are not from 1802 to 1914, but from 1870 to 1932, and then 1945 to 1957, and then, highly important the period between 1973 and 1976.

For that you just need to open any history book, no need to be a member of secret societies or to live in a village.

But i understand that books are getting out of fashion now, and unimaginative repetitions of what somebody else has chewed out for you are the flavour of the month.

:o:bah:

10,000 BC - 1869 = :D

1932 - 1944 = :D

1957 - 1972 = :D

1976 - present = :bah:

:D

ok punters,

but i got to tell you punters, if you give me a good kicking im still going to wear my yellow shirt on mondays. :bah:

old charlie is a bit of a worry though. :D

like it or not she is your queen .why do you feel the need to wear a yellow shirt for the king of thailand ?whats wrong with a union jack once a week for liz?? havnt you got a ****** union jack on your flag ? :D

mate, i love the old queen lizzy but in not to keen on the union jack.

its not yellow and the lager louts that wear it dont look as good as the cracking thai girls that wear the yellow shirts. :bah:

hows that for a brilliant point of fact that cant be denied. :o

I think the wearing of the yellow shirt is..censored..because if you really think about it..censored..so any right minded person..censored..censored..zzzzzz..censored, blah, blah, blah.

What waste of time this is.

We can't really talk about it, so mods remove this..censored..

got you in mate so you can leave if you want to. :o

ok punters,

but i got to tell you punters, if you give me a good kicking im still going to wear my yellow shirt on mondays. :bah:

its not yellow and the lager louts that wear it dont look as good as the cracking thai girls that wear the yellow shirts. :bah:

im not asking thai girls why they feel the need to wear it terry,im asking you !

Im thai, and I respect the King, admire and appreciate all his hard work and caring for thai people. but I dont wear the yellow on Mondays....or any day actually. only day I wore it was on June 9th last year, when it was the actual celebration of his 60th ascension.

I just feel all this yellow wearing every monday for more than a year is an overkill. plus its also a profiteering scheme by many of the merchants selling yellow tshirts, or even those factories that make a lot of money selling the fabric to make those tshirts

but anyhow thats just me......

it might also have something to do with the fact that

1. seeing a hall full of yellows in the lunchtime cafetaria gives me a headache

2. I got so tired of wearing yellow for 6 years of high school, that I never wore yellow again for many years

3. if I wore blue would that make me love Chelsea? I dont think so.

dont look as good as the cracking thai girls that wear the yellow shirts. :D

once terry dons the yellow shirt he is transformed into a love magnet, a farang superhero.

c'mon terry, you aren't doing it for the King, your doing it for the feel-good love, right ? :D

ok punters,

cricky's mate, im a bloody dinky dye aussie bleeder and dont wear no ###### union jack. :bah:

its not yellow and the lager louts that wear it dont look as good as the cracking thai girls that wear the yellow shirts. :o

hows that for a brilliant point of fact that cant be denied. :D

im not asking thai girls why they feel the need to wear it terry,im asking you !

cricky's mate,

caste your eyes upwards, re read my OP and theres your answer. :o

blind freddy is blind and he can work that one out. ;)

jeez- us.

Im thai, and I respect the King, admire and appreciate all his hard work and caring for thai people. but I dont wear the yellow on Mondays....or any day actually. only day I wore it was on June 9th last year, when it was the actual celebration of his 60th ascension.

I just feel all this yellow wearing every monday for more than a year is an overkill. plus its also a profiteering scheme by many of the merchants selling yellow tshirts, or even those factories that make a lot of money selling the fabric to make those tshirts

but anyhow thats just me......

it might also have something to do with the fact that

1. seeing a hall full of yellows in the lunchtime cafetaria gives me a headache

2. I got so tired of wearing yellow for 6 years of high school, that I never wore yellow again for many years

3. if I wore blue would that make me love Chelsea? I dont think so.

but mig my friend, do you mind if i wear the yellow shirt as you are thai and i respect your opinion.

dont look as good as the cracking thai girls that wear the yellow shirts. :D

once terry dons the yellow shirt he is transformed into a love magnet, a farang superhero.

c'mon terry, you aren't doing it for the King, your doing it for the feel-good love, right ? :D

you got me again grover and dont tell everybody im a love magnet as all the girls will want me. :D

thanks for talking me up mate :D

10,000 BC - 1869 = :D

1932 - 1944 = :D

1957 - 1972 = :D

1976 - present = :D

Yes, and there are those who predict that very soon all human communication will have detriorated to the sole use of grunts, smilies and other emoticons...

for some, that's all a reply that is warranted.

i wish you guys would give each other a big hug as you 2 are starting to sound like me and guesthouse. :bah: :bah: :o