Problem not canceling WP?

Hello folks,

I have a non-B, multiple entry with work permit from a company in Bkk. Visa/work permit both end about Christmas time. I do not intend to work in Thailand again, but plan on returning to Thailand - after an extended holiday - on an ED visa.

Wondering if I should really go through the hassle of canceling the WP? Am I going to run into any trouble for not canceling the WP when applying for an ED visa at a Thai consulate abroad?

Cheers

K.

If you're not planning on getting another Non-B visa & work permit, then no. However if you plan on doing things "the right way" I'm sure the IO officials appreciate you doing things by the book. I doubt you'd get in much trouble skipping the cancellation process when getting another category visa, but don't really see the point in not informing about your resignation either - so "up to you" as they say ?

No need to cancel if you do not plan on working here again. If you do not cancel it there could be a problem when applying for one in the future.

Also if you actually have a extension of stay issued by immigration not a multiple entry non-b visa issued by a embassy not canceling the extension can cause problems.

I did not cancel my work permit one time I think it was 7 years ago.  I then applied for a new one several months later and there was no problem.  Now I am canceling my B extension to say, and going back to an O so I don't know if I should cancel or not.  The problem comes my B expires on 29 September, so I have to cancel it on 28 then go to the Bank in Pathumthani (I work in Nonthaburi) then go to immigration in Pathumthani. So that is an all day thing.  Now do I cancel my wp on the 27 for I wont have time on 28. 

9 minutes ago, stephehr said:

I did not cancel my work permit one time I think it was 7 years ago.  I then applied for a new one several months later and there was no problem.  Now I am canceling my B extension to say, and going back to an O so I don't know if I should cancel or not.  The problem comes my B expires on 29 September, so I have to cancel it on 28 then go to the Bank in Pathumthani (I work in Nonthaburi) then go to immigration in Pathumthani. So that is an all day thing.  Now do I cancel my wp on the 27 for I wont have time on 28. 

You can have your workplace cancel it - just agree on the date so, especially if on a permission of stay stamp, so you won't accumulate overstay meanwhile handling the change from Non-B to Non-O ? 

46 minutes ago, stephehr said:

There was a recent topic posted by a person whose new employer was trying to apply for a work permit but the work permit office refused the application because his old work permit was not canceled.

You work permit cancelation may not be that urgent unless the immigration office where you will be canceling your extension of stay based upon working insists upon seeing the cancelation receipt along with a termination letter from your employer. If you go to immigration a few days prior to your termination date they will date the cancelation on to the date shown on the letter.

On what basis will you be applying for the new extension of stay?

I talked to the immigration office a Nonthaburi and yes they want a letter from my employer, and they want a copy of the work permit, but did not mention wanting a copy of the cancelation from the work permit.  I will go back to my O extension to stay based on married to a Thai.  I have everything just need to go to the bank the day I cancel the B and get the paperwork from them and then go to immigration at Pathumthani.  It will be a long day.  My B finishes on the 29 but wp finishes on the 30.  I will stop work on 27 so I could do the wp that day and on 28 do immigration