Man killed by drunk driver after crossing the road from 7/11

webfact

Man killed by drunk driver after crossing the road from 7/11

4PM.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Police were called after a 53 year old man was killed after crossing the road from a Bang Khae 7/11 and opening his car door. 

A car came from behind and hit Itthiphan Aphirachotphan as he was opening the door of his Yaris. 

The driver of the Corolla that hit him stopped 100 meters down the road. He told police that the pedestrian was in the middle of the road. 

The driver Petchpong Suthipong, 38,  was under the influence of what appeared to be alcohol said Thai Rath. He was incoherent and taken into the police station to calm down and for alcohol tests. 

Itthiphan was crushed against his door. He suffered head trauma and broken arms and legs and was dead at the scene opposite the 7/11 at Kao Wattana Villa, Bang Khae, Bangkok.

Police said that the offending driver's story was not consistent with the evidence and witness statements. 

Witnesses said that the deceased had been into 7/11 and not made a purchase for some reason. He had then crossed the road and was opening his door when he was hit from behind. 

The accident occurred around 1am this morning. 

Relatives of the deceased were too distraught to comment. 

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-18

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed.... I was out the other night and really fancied a beer... But, I'd taken the car out earlier as it was raining and I couldn't get a taxi... 

Thus.. no beer for me. Friends suggested that its OK... just don't get drunk, a few beers are not enough to make me drive badly (debate for a different topic)... I pointed out that its not me that may cause the accident... It could be a pedestrian crossing in front of me without looking, it could me a motorcycle pulling out without looking, it could be a drunk pedestrian, drunk motorcyclists, drunk car driver etc... it could be a multitude of different reasons that are not my fault and in Thailand multitude of different ways you could be in an accident that isn't your fault is significantly greater than many others places..... BUT..... as soon as I have a large beer and am potentially over the limit I am in the wrong and potentially in significant trouble if someone 'commits suicide' against my vehicle. 

Thankfully i never really liked the tast of alcohol .... when I drink (rare) i drink to get drunk and I usually plan it so no problems there. 

Yes there are people who seem to think that alcohol does not influence their driving enough. Plenty of tests show otherwise but still its debatable. But all over the world they had to set standards and sure some could still drive good with that amount of alcohol in their system but others cannot.  I feel in this case its good that the law errs on the side of safety.

I can still remember sitting in the car with my dad after he had drunk, he drove even though my mom did not drink (sometimes) he would still drive. It was quite normal back then, now he does not do that anymore. Attitudes have changed. It will take a lot of time before that happens here.

I cannot say in this specific case, but many times drivers who have parked their car on the side of the street open the door without looking at the oncoming traffic.

As for DUI, I would not condone it if true but from the article it's just a speculation at this moment.

10 hours ago, Ugothai said:

Now what will they do? Will they jail drunk driver for 30 years or fine 500 bath and go home ???

As a relatively new member you can be forgiven for the absolutely repetitive and boring comment of "500 baht fine". Please try harder for something more original.

10 hours ago, Ugothai said:

Now what will they do? Will they jail drunk driver for 30 years or fine 500 bath and go home ???

8 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

As a relatively new member you can be forgiven for the absolutely repetitive and boring comment of "500 baht fine". Please try harder for something more original.

Actually, 500 baths is well over 100,000 baht from home pro. 

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed.... I was out the other night and really fancied a beer... But, I'd taken the car out earlier as it was raining and I couldn't get a taxi... 

Thus.. no beer for me. Friends suggested that its OK... just don't get drunk, a few beers are not enough to make me drive badly (debate for a different topic)... I pointed out that its not me that may cause the accident... It could be a pedestrian crossing in front of me without looking, it could me a motorcycle pulling out without looking, it could be a drunk pedestrian, drunk motorcyclists, drunk car driver etc... it could be a multitude of different reasons that are not my fault and in Thailand multitude of different ways you could be in an accident that isn't your fault is significantly greater than many others places..... BUT..... as soon as I have a large beer and am potentially over the limit I am in the wrong and potentially in significant trouble if someone 'commits suicide' against my vehicle. 

Yawn !!!