Police out in force ticketing anything and everything..

richard_smith237

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The insanity of living in a country where the receipt for receiving a ticket is potentially of more use than your license.... 

I have yet to get a ticket in thailand,  (said as I knock on wood)  but I gather having a ticket is a get out of jail free card for a certain unknown period of time.

I live on the eastern border of Bangkok in the Srinakarin Rd area. They have recently been stopping people a lot  for driving licenses, crash helmets and also started clamping cars in no waiting zones. But if you carry  a license, wear a helmet and don't park in the no waiting zone no problem.   Having made my other half take her test and buy a helmet before funding a motorcycle (nobody does it why should I !) and getting her through a business   inspection by actually complying to the rules of the annual inspection instead of paying the increasingly variable  monthly "fee" for not having a certificate she now understands  that the world is changing and the old days are gone.   

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The key to understanding your situation is "same junction". This police officer or his senior officer at Thong Lor Police Station probably needs cash or tickets issued. Each police station acts relatively independently of the others.

Of course, your wife could have just produced the ticket from the previous day which under the Thai system gives an inexplicable 7-day no further fines period.

So you are saying that one can stuff up for seven days after one gets a ticket,,,, Don't believe a word you say,,,,

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, digger70 said:
17 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The key to understanding your situation is "same junction". This police officer or his senior officer at Thong Lor Police Station probably needs cash or tickets issued. Each police station acts relatively independently of the others.

Of course, your wife could have just produced the ticket from the previous day which under the Thai system gives an inexplicable 7-day no further fines period.

So you are saying that one can stuff up for seven days after one gets a ticket,,,, Don't believe a word you say,,,,

Then believe some of the words he writes !!!....  

Those who have lived in Thailand any length of time find the above entirely conceivable.

The fine is to be paid within 7-days. But what happens if we don't?... It would seem, nothing..

More recently automatic fines are also issued for minor traffic infractions caught on camera such as crossing an unbroken white line (i.e. coming off a bridge and crossing the unbroken white line into the next lane)...  No one is certain as to whether or not this fine is linked to your Cars Registration and come tax renewal you will have to pay the fine. 

But the fines issued by the BiB at check points etc are just 'paper fines' and not registered into any computer system - I don't think they'd ever know if the fine was paid or not, hence, keeping your license for leverage.

A Thai friend received a parking fine which he was not best pleased about... Police took his licence, he refused to pay the fine and instead went and got a new license from the DLT (you no longer need to file a police report to replace your license).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

What I am saying, and I know it will be supported by many on here, is that if you are stopped and the policeman states you have committed a driving offence and asks for your licence and you produce a ticket because another policeman has taken your licence in the last few days and the licence is still at the police station, you will very often be allowed to get away with it.

I take it you are new here.

Yea if you class 5/10 new ?

57 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Just curious as to how your size compared to that of the cop relates to the matter?

Did you anticipate a physical confrontation?

If he wanted to have a go I would have been more than willing, little man behind a badge and a gun might have taken on more than he could chew, that said, I don't think he expected to be looking up one metre at my head usually throws them off guard, suffice to say I don't have an issue here, do you ?

I paid the chicken fee and was on my way, no issue, just telling it how it was, and trust me, if he wanted to pull out his gun, he would want to use it !!!

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Police took his licence, he refused to pay the fine and instead went and got a new license from the DLT (you no longer need to file a police report to replace your license).

I find some humor in this.   Your friend really stood on principle.     ?

Perhaps try lying to the police next time saying you have a camera in the car and you will report him. Thats always my move if I ever get caught. Or like the other poster said, go buy a cheap 1000 baht camera and attach it to your headliner so police knows he is being recorded at the same time (even though it might not even be on).

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

If he wanted to have a go I would have been more than willing, little man behind a badge and a gun might have taken on more than he could chew, that said, I don't think he expected to be looking up one metre at my head usually throws them off guard, suffice to say I don't have an issue here, do you ?

I paid the chicken fee and was on my way, no issue, just telling it how it was, and trust me, if he wanted to pull out his gun, he would want to use it !!!

I wonder what the nearby cops would do if one of their colleagues was getting the worst end of a fight with a falang?

17 hours ago, BestB said:

Pattaya also out at unusual times ticketing people.

maybe their budget has run out so emergency top up needed .

This is why I never operate any motor vehicle. A farang is a sitting duck for fines. I had a policeman ask me for my passport while I was walking to the store. Everything was up to date (as it always is) and I continued on my way. No one is safe from the BIB. Glad I didn't have my walking cane with me. I would have been banged up on weapons charges.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

As if being taller and heavier would have scared a cop who has a gun on his hip... ?

"being about a metre taller"  so this farang is at least two meters fifty tall, assuming the police officer was the shortest possible, so one meter fifty, almost a draft, you must admit such a giant would impress anyone:tongue:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

I wonder what the nearby cops would do if one of their colleagues was getting the worst end of a fight with a falang?

Wouldn't be a falang, it would be the Mrs, she is fiercer than me, I'm a gentle giant, until threatened 

Image result for picture of a woman doing kung fu

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I took a moto-taxi the other day and was extremely unhappy when the motorcycle taxi rider took out his phone to answer a call while splitting traffic...   to say I was p!shed off is an understatement.

Maybe it was an important call from his stock broker.... ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

This is why I never operate any motor vehicle. A farang is a sitting duck for fines. I had a policeman ask me for my passport while I was walking to the store. Everything was up to date (as it always is) and I continued on my way. No one is safe from the BIB. Glad I didn't have my walking cane with me. I would have been banged up on weapons charges.

Given these stories I suspect the BiB in Pattaya to be preying scum...  it would appear they do tend to target foreigners although I've never personally had any exposure whatsoever to the BiB on any of my Pattaya visits I don't discount the tales I hear / read.

Fortunately, in Bangkok and many other areas are Thailand the BiB are simply indifferent to foreigners riding our bike or driving our cars and we have equal chance of being stopped as any Thai.

More often than not I feel we are waved along as dealing with us is a little extra hassle.

5 minutes ago, Nice Boyd said:

I changed lanes and they wanted 1500 b in BKK, the way they acted , it was like I robbed a 7/11, got it down to 500 after gf got involved, outrageous, their was an abulance behind me and I moved

Oh the faux shock... some of them can be real actors playing up the seriousness of an innocent infraction....   But what you have described is outrageous....

... disgusting that they can be technically right, in that you did change lanes (across an unbroken white?).... but in doing so you were breaking a regulation to follow another which supersedes the first.

This is the issue when dealing with stupid people in such positions.

17 hours ago, BestB said:

Pattaya also out at unusual times ticketing people.

maybe their budget has run out so emergency top up needed .

What times, where and for what offenses? They do have a lot of night checkpoints where they focus on drink driving... but this is not a new thing. I haven't noticed any unusual daytime activity. Until I read your post I was thinking that ticketing in Pattaya (tourist areas), and the number of checkpoints has gone down.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The insanity of living in a country where the receipt for receiving a ticket is potentially of more use than your license.... 

I have to admit I didn't think about it as insanity until now. But you have a point. Maybe I am just living for too long in Thailand and some things appear to be perfectly normal...

15 minutes ago, HHTel said:

In the few times I have been stopped and been accused of some minor offence,  I've always said "I'll just review my camera to confirm."  In each case they just waved me on.

I've been waved through a handful of check-points over the past number of years (Motorcycle & Car) - the BiB are just not interested in me. 

I was stopped recently turning left where I shouldn't be...  An inexplicable rule considering the design of the junction... The BiB obviously camped out there.  I saw the sign, ignored it and turned left anyway. As soon as I committed to the turn I saw the Policeman step out into the road and pull me over... I knew I'd been caught red handed and laughed about it... told the Police officer I was lost. He reminded me that I can't turn there and waved me on.

So.. they're not all bad and I suspect many of the issues people can face are down to how they handle the situation.

The Dash-Cam would help when I haven't done something wrong !!...  But for the phone usage issue (when not using the phone) as someone already suggested, a Dome Camera inside the car would be the only solution to prove innocence... or keeping the phone out of sight, or mounting it on the dash.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Land Traffic Act, BE 2522 (1979) - Thai Laws

Section 140

[Upon finding a traffic violation, the police officer may give a verbal warning or issue a written order to the driver to report to the police station. In the event of the driver is nowhere to be found, a written order shall be left on the vehicle at a conspicuous place.

In issuing a written order to a driver to report to a police station, the police officer may temporarily seize the driving license by issuing a driving license replacement, which shall be valid for driving for a period not exceeding seven days.]

Edited by jossthaifarang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1