Walmart warns Trump tariffs may force price hikes - The Hill

webfact

Walmart warns Trump tariffs may force price hikes - The Hill

2018-09-21T001336Z_1_LYNXNPEE8K00A_RTROPTP_4_WALMART-JET-COM.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A Walmart store is seen in Encinitas, California April 13, 2016. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

(Reuters) - Walmart Inc <WMT.N> has issued a warning in a letter to U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer that it may have to raise prices due to tariffs on Chinese imports, CNN Money reported.

"The immediate impact will be to raise prices on consumers and tax American business and manufacturers," Walmart said, according to the CNN Money report. https://cnnmon.ie/2xBmU7S

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that he would impose 10 percent U.S. tariffs on about $200 billion (151 billion pounds) worth of Chinese imports.

Walmart was not immediately available to comment outside business hours.

(Reporting by Rishika Chatterjee in Bengaluru)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-21
  • Haha 1

lol Never miss a chance to blame your rising prices and profit margins on the other guy. 

That is beautiful. Why not. 

Corporations all fix their prices anyway. It is all a scam. Meanwhile, if a couple small time businesses try to price fix it is like the second coming hails down. So walmart, just shit your mouth and keep raping like all your cohorts. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HLover said:

Shocking, all this political wrangling falls again on the middle class. Brilliant.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Walmart Inc <WMT.N> has issued a warning in a letter to U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer that it may have to raise prices due to tariffs on Chinese imports,

Maybe they could consider to sell US manufactured products instead.

Of course the price will be higher, but the customer will not suffer from China quality, and he may get a job which enables him to go shopping.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, bristolboy said:

As things now stand, it shouldn't result in much if any of a price increase because the yuan has declined about 9 percent in value. So a 10% tariff is virtually meaningless. Of coure, that also means that the tariffs aren't going to do much to discourage imports from China.

Glad you finally agree that Trump is a smart guy, the Americans get their goods at the same price, while the Chines pay a premium for their US imported stuff.

You see once your eye shells fall off, you can be a Trump supporter.

Welcome to the club.

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Glad you finally agree that Trump is a smart guy, the Americans get their goods at the same price, while the Chines pay a premium for their US imported stuff.

Welcome to the club.

So the Chinese get to sell the same amount of their stuff while they buy less from the USA. And this is a win for the USA how?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Of course the price will be higher, but the customer will not suffer from China quality, and he may get a job which enables him to go shopping.

Without cheap Chinese goods and very close to unethical treatment of staff, Wall mart would shut down in the US.

The US government subsidizes Walmart employees because they are paid poverty line wages.

They'd never consider selling US manufactured goods other than guns of course. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Will this American worker be looking for a job in Vietnam, Serbia, or Mexico?

Chinese companies flee overseas to avoid US tariffs

A growing number of Chinese companies are adopting a crafty way to evade US President Donald Trump’s tariffs: remove the “Made in China” label by shifting production to countries such as Vietnam, Serbia and Mexico.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1800264/3-chinese-companies-flee-overseas-avoid-us-tariffs/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Will this American worker be looking for a job in Vietnam, Serbia, or Mexico?

Chinese companies flee overseas to avoid US tariffs

A growing number of Chinese companies are adopting a crafty way to evade US President Donald Trump’s tariffs: remove the “Made in China” label by shifting production to countries such as Vietnam, Serbia and Mexico.
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1800264/3-chinese-companies-flee-overseas-avoid-us-tariffs/

That's biting off your nose to spite your face.
China gains nothing by doing that. Unemployment will rise just to enrich a few oligarchs.

Does nothing for their economy but Xi will feel he wins face.
That's all that matters to Chinese.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Just now, sebastion said:

That's biting off your nose to spite your face.
China gains nothing by doing that. Unemployment will rise just to enrich a few oligarchs.

Does nothing for their economy but Xi will feel he wins face.
That's all that matters to Chinese.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

The point is that you claimed it could help American workers. That seems dubious with so much cheap labor on offer elsewhere.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Without cheap Chinese goods and very close to unethical treatment of staff, Wall mart would shut down in the US.

The US government subsidizes Walmart employees because they are paid poverty line wages.

They'd never consider selling US manufactured goods other than guns of course. 

I guess that means the Americans have to sleep in the bed they made themselves

• Like 1

US 'manufactured' products are more typically 'assembled in the US' and have foreign content from countries like China. See Boeing aircraft.

Then there's Chinese-manufactured products like Apple that were exempted from US tariffs. Clearly moving all manufacturing to the US isn't generally a viable option.

Welcome to the club.

"Trump is a smart guy."

That's just like the women. The more you drink, the more beautiful they become.
Do you burn your own alcohol?

• Haha 1

Just now, tomacht8 said:

"Trump is a smart guy."

That's just like the women. The more you drink, the more beautiful they become.
Do you burn your own alcohol?

No I don't, and actually the more I drink the less I'm interested in women.

Were you born with that hatred against anyone you didn't vote for?

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

No I don't, and actually the more I drink the less I'm interested in women.

Were you born with that hatred against anyone you didn't vote for?

Relax.

No hate.

Just interested in people who feel trump as smart.

I only feel he is a fool.
What do you think of his idea to build a wall in the sahara?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

And who benefits from the rise in the stock markets. 10 percent of the Americans own 84% of stocks. The middle class has been disinvesting from the stock market for years. Some day somewhere some right wing person will finally understand that the stock market is not the economy.

It is Reaganomics, which translates to now that I have three yachts I need to hire some hapless dupes to scrape bivalves off of the bottom of them. 

• Like 1