Cobras In The Garden!

raro

Three days ago the maid was thunderstruck finding a cobra in the house. Security guard took care of it and killed the snake.

Yesterday, there was another cobra spotted in the garden. That's at least one too many, so we suspect them nesting there.

Any advice what to do?

We live in Pattaya, Maprachan area.

not a bad idea, but I was looking rather for some quick fix....

and I don't really want to kill them either.

We just got in touch with the snake farm in Soi Muslim, they said when we see it again we should lay down fat on the floor and pick him up to catch the snake....now I am not sure how I can pick the guy up while lying flat on my belly...

not a bad idea, but I was looking rather for some quick fix....

and I don't really want to kill them either.

We just got in touch with the snake farm in Soi Muslim, they said when we see it again we should lay down fat on the floor and pick him up to catch the snake....now I am not sure how I can pick the guy up while lying flat on my belly...

Hmm, I'm pretty sure what I won't do when I see a Cobra is lie flat on my belly!

I think a heels/dust scenario will occur!

Good luck with this btw!

Three days ago the maid was thunderstruck finding a cobra in the house. Security guard took care of it and killed the snake.

Yesterday, there was another cobra spotted in the garden. That's at least one too many, so we suspect them nesting there.

Any advice what to do?

Lucky devil !!!

I'd give anything for one in mine.. all we get are Banded Kraits. :o

:o:D I am just going to pee my pants. This is so... OK. Sorry, seen it too many times. Get a wide PVC pipe about 4ft in length. Get a strong thin nylon rope, about 10 ft. Thread the rope through the pipe. Then tie a loop on the rope at the far end of the pipe. When a cobra appears, lasso it around its neck and pull the rope up into the pipe. Once the snake is in stranglehold, put it in an old rice bag, release the rope tie, and give the package to a snake farm to release far away from the madding human crowds.

Lemons/Limes are good for deterring snakes so my wife reckons..

totster :o

We were frequently finding snakes in our garden, mostly non-venomous, but my wife is paranoid about snakes. She says that the smell of citrus fruits will deter them so, we saved up lime halves after juicing and strewed them inside the front and rear gates. Since then, I have not seen any! I have not told her that some snakes can climb high walls!

The family says that Thai dogs with black tongues are natural snake hunters. We have one and she’s great. We get those small cobras in the yard about every month or so, and she has never had a problem disposing of them. It might just be a coincidence, but that’s what they say.

Some advice from an old Australian who grew up in the bush. Snakes eat vermin; rat's, mice, lizards, frogs and other small creatures. These creatures live in long grass, piles of rubbish or anything else that gives them the shelter to feed and breed.

Clean your yard up, keep the grass clipped short right up to your fence, get rid of any chickens; mice eat their left over food.

If they're coming from unoccupied land next door burn the long grass and any rubbish, the smoke won't make much difference this time of the year.

The snakes won't come into your garden unless there's something there they want, they're more afraid of you than you are of them.

:o:D I am just going to pee my pants. This is so... OK. Sorry, seen it too many times. Get a wide PVC pipe about 4ft in length. Get a strong thin nylon rope, about 10 ft. Thread the rope through the pipe. Then tie a loop on the rope at the far end of the pipe. When a cobra appears, lasso it around its neck and pull the rope up into the pipe. Once the snake is in stranglehold, put it in an old rice bag, release the rope tie, and give the package to a snake farm to release far away from the madding human crowds.

Don't do this..!!

f***ing around with a cobra aint that advisable.. unless of course your surname is Irwin, Leonard & that other south african guy who's name evades me at present...

(oops! strike Irwin from that roll call)

Why not by a flute, borrow a book from the library on the subject of 'Fakirs', train 'em up and then go into business as a tourist side-show..!!!

Any advice what to do?

make a small box or get an aqarium.something you can see into with a secured lid or a lid with a "big" rock on top. about 3/4 up th side of it cut a 1 inch hole.get some metal screen made of pretty desent sized squares with squres about 1/4 inch holes.big enough so that if you cut off a row it would leave pretty long spikes that would cut you.but squares not so big that a snake could get his head through.roll the screen into a cone and fasten it pointing into the box through the 1 inch hole.make the bottom of the cone about as big as the snakes head you saw.this will be the rough end you cut leaving spikes from the wire exposed.bend the ends slightly in and cut them sharp. put a couple of little quail in the box and maybe some quail eggs.mice if you have to.but snakes go crazy for fowl. they only chase mice when they are hungry. make shure the quail are larger than the hole you make so that if a snake with a smaller head gets in thier the bulges in his stomace will stop his escape. FYI a snake that is digesting food is very irritable for 24 hours. let them sit for 24 hours and they will be as happy as a puppie with a full belly and fairely harmless.if you deside to remove the snakes warm your hands and it will make them docile."they are cold blooded"to quick a drop in body temperature makes them agressive. raising thier body tmp makes them feel good and docile. :o thier really beautiful creatures i would not kill them either.

'

Lemons/Limes are good for deterring snakes so my wife reckons..

totster :D

lie flat on your belly tots you would be a rocking horse of sorts :D:D

:o:D

Use the Australian Method for Catching snakes ,Shout Crikey works with most reptiles :bah: Nignoy

Any advice what to do?

Lucky devil !!!

I'd give anything for one in mine.. all we get are Banded Kraits. :D

Banded Kraits are docile in the daytime but vicious hunters at night and poisonous. But very beautiful. I consider you very lucky! :o

Don't touch these things in any way, nearly everybody who gets bitten by snakes is handling them or provoking them.

Doyou wan't to sit in a Thai hospital while Nurse Noi tries to remember what the use by date on the antivenom is and whether it should have been kept in the fridge or not?

Any advice to trap them yourself is irresponsible, if you want them caught contact your local snake farm/circus.

Don't touch these things in any way, nearly everybody who gets bitten by snakes is handling them or provoking them.

Doyou wan't to sit in a Thai hospital while Nurse Noi tries to remember what the use by date on the antivenom is and whether it should have been kept in the fridge or not?

Any advice to trap them yourself is irresponsible, if you want them caught contact your local snake farm/circus.

I had snake farm training. But you are right, for most people it is dangerous. However, if you live in the jungle and a snake has moved into your bathroom, you have to take action. Usually, a Thai neighbour is at hand to handle the prob, but sometimes, one has to rely on him/herself.

Been breeding snakes and reptiles for many years and had most of the species in the world, except some australian ones who always been hard to get.

1. Cobras, Kraits, Vipers, etc are not living in groups. They are completely solitary. It is either coincidence or mating season that you met two cobras close to each other.

2. They don´t bite if not provoked. If you need to catch them, make slow moves which mostly makes them to react in a calm way. A good way is actually a stick with a loophole especially if you are not used to handling snakes.

3. If you handle Cobras, think of that there are spitting cobras here. Use glasses for protection.

4. I promise you they don´t care about any citrus being sprayed in the neighbourghood. If you want a snake to get out of a hole, some african tribes uses smoke but that seems a bit odd to use in a house, all the time... :-)

5. Forget about the fat on the floor. Some people use "sticky doublesided tape" to catch snakes. Others "flour" to find out if a snake has been crossing.

6. Cobras are elapids like african mambas, which behaviour is a sort of nervous. It is sort of always moving, trying to find a way out. A viper, like Russel´s or Pit vipers doesn´t really move alot. They tries to find places where there are alot of food passing by, staying still, waiting to strike at a prey. So Cobras don´t reside at one place but can stay in a yard for a period of time, of course. Regarding Kraits, I have never heard of anyone being bitten. They are very docile but hard to keep alive in captivity. (Feed mostly on other snakes.)

7. If a snake can get away, it will. (There are some excemptions but that is for King Cobras who might defend their nests but I do not think most of will ever come in to that areas.

8. The best way is to keep your neighbourghood clean so that snakes wount find any shelter (long grass) or food (mice, other snakes, groundlizards, frogs,etc) So I recogn that the person who suggested that, really knows what he is talking about.

9. If you are bitten by a poisonous snake, I put my cheek out and say, you have at least 20-30 minutes to get medical care. You will by some of the snakevenoms be damaged internally. But you survive.

Of course, the best way is always to avoid the snakes, not trying to catch them avoid being bitten... A famous story is the one about a african tribe woman who came across a black mamba in the early morning, just outside the "family hut", She tried to chase it away with a broom but the snake actually was hunted in to the "family hut". 9 family members where killed. So, if you can, leave them alone.

At www .kingsnake.com you can read more about snakes in the forums. Enjoy! :-)

would you mind coming over to my place and give me demonstration? I invite you for cobra curry, if successful...

Fonud a source for Mungoose in the meantime.

You found a source for Mongoose, if you find a Sauce for Duck Larry dont tell Jet Grogon she wants to Cook me..

On the Joe Blake front I believe the Limes work..