Does being an expat keep you younger in spirit and ambition?

rooster59

I am a firm believer that people should periodically turn their lives upside down and shake very hard. I've done it a few times in my life and don't regret the changes. Nothing worse than feeling like you are in a rut, doing the same thing, day in and day out. Doesn't matter if you are an airline pilot or a doctor or a cook. After a while it all becomes a bore. Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes, it's what keeps life interesting. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I understand your confusion.  Most men pay their GF in one form or another.  This is common in Thailand.  If you went to Vietnam, and you offered to pay a woman who spent time with you, she would be incensed.  I can't say the same for the ladies here in Thailand.  Perhaps you got confused with my wife being a Thai.  She has been gone since February but still has her hand in my pocket.  My non-Thai GF has never wanted a dime.  She stays with a much older man for many reasons but none of them are monetary.  She does say that older men have less drama.  I'm sure she is correct.

I know about ten men married to or in relationships with Vietnamese women. Eight of them are giving huge monthly cash amounts to the women's families.  One had endless arguments over it and they broke up many times before he finally put his foot down and said no more; the other simply can't afford it.

From http://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=443689

I dated a number of Vietnamese women.  Same Thai women.  Now if you are talking about Muslim women that is a totally different story.  .... ha ha.  No.  I was just kidding same same.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

There’s people on here who constantly slag off Thailand and have never been outside their bedsit in Scunthorpe so I wouldnt worry too much. 

If we're getting our collective panties in a bunch about accuracy, it's Bridlington, not Scunthorpe.

39 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

... She does say that older men have less drama.  I'm sure she is correct.

She probably is. Then there's the plonkers who discover ED medications and suddenly think they're God's gift. Others  get on the testosterone shots and buggering about with borax, apple cider vinegar and flax seeds. That's when the drama usually starts.

52 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

If you went to Vietnam, and you offered to pay a woman who spent time with you, she would be incensed.

Most of the ones my pals have met are happy with money.

I think you've got a bad case of "my gf is different, educated, white-skinned, wealthy family," etc.

But if she's only 24, what have you got that a girl that age could possibly want except for money?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

I am a firm believer that people should periodically turn their lives upside down and shake very hard. I've done it a few times in my life and don't regret the changes. Nothing worse than feeling like you are in a rut, doing the same thing, day in and day out. Doesn't matter if you are an airline pilot or a doctor or a cook. After a while it all becomes a bore. Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes, it's what keeps life interesting. 

Each to their own...

I'm a firm believer in the opposite of what you propose is a good way to live. I've lived "all shook up", and organized at various times in my life. I choose the latter. I don't need the stress of surprises and uncertainty, what you might call "interesting". Doing my exercise program 5 - 6 times a week, and trying to eat healthily is difficult when you're not organized. Give me your "rut" any day. It's a comfortable place to be. Happiness and contentedness are a state of mind. The "rut" can be a very happy place.

Maybe you like to turn your life "upside down and shake very hard" so that you can more appreciate the good times when you're in that rut.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most of the ones my pals have met are happy with money.

I think you've got a bad case of "my gf is different, educated, white-skinned, wealthy family," etc.

But if she's only 24, what have you got that a girl that age could possibly want except for money?

I'm shocked the answer isn't so readily available to you.  Love.

Love and of course a case of daddy issues.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Then does she get up and cook the bacon for you?

I get up and cook the bacon for her. If you sit around and let the lady do all your work, you're going to go downhill rapidly. Fighting laziness is a monumental task - it doesn't help if the lady does everything for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

Each to their own...

I'm a firm believer in the opposite of what you propose is a good way to live. I've lived "all shook up", and organized at various times in my life. I choose the latter. I don't need the stress of surprises and uncertainty, what you might call "interesting". Doing my exercise program 5 - 6 times a week, and trying to eat healthily is difficult when you're not organized. Give me your "rut" any day. It's a comfortable place to be. Happiness and contentedness are a state of mind. The "rut" can be a very happy place.

Maybe you like to turn your life "upside down and shake very hard" so that you can more appreciate the good times when you're in that rut.

And perhaps you just like boring. 

To each their own. 

7 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

And perhaps you just like boring. 

To each their own

I'm sorry you felt the need to become defensive because someone doesn't agree with your "words of wisdom".

Boredom is a state of mind - your mind, not mine. I never experience it - never have. There are never enough hours in a day to become bored. I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I can't think of something to do, either physically or mentally.

Just because someone else doesn't suffer from your affliction (boredom) doesn't mean all others do too.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

If you find one of those supposedly intrepid,unconventional and mind expanding free spirits in Thailand then please let me know.

in·trep·id
inˈtrepəd/
adjective

1. fearless; adventurous (often used for rhetorical or humorous effect).
    "our intrepid reporter"
    synonyms:

fearless, unafraid, undaunted, unflinching, unshrinking, bold, daring, gallant, audacious, adventurous, heroic, dynamic, spirited, indomitable;

example :   All thaivisa members are intrepid warriors !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rumak said:
in·trep·id
inˈtrepəd/
adjective

1. fearless; adventurous (often used for rhetorical or humorous effect).
    "our intrepid reporter"
    synonyms:

fearless, unafraid, undaunted, unflinching, unshrinking, bold, daring, gallant, audacious, adventurous, heroic, dynamic, spirited, indomitable;

example :   All thaivisa members are intrepid warriors !

"All Thaivisa members are intrepid warriors!"

Indeed they are and I am glad that you picked up on the wry humour????

Seriously tho' if people get a new lease of life in coming to live in a culture far different from their own then I wish them the very best and have no argument with them at all. I just hope that they remain flexible in their options and don't burn too many bridges or make too many hasty decisions.

As other posters have stated; financial and physical well being has a very large part to play and things can get dramatically out of hand..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

Out of respect for her, I eat beef on the days she stays here. She doesn't mind if I cook pork, but it's easy to eat beef.  

I was actually referring to a post in a previous thread where he said he needed 2 kg of bacon for breakfast. Sorry it went over your head.

12 hours ago, NaamGin said:

There are always those who want to sell the idea (down the expat bar any evening) that their lack of application in past life was due to some inner belief system or various other hocus pocus. All amusing and fine by me.

Edited by SheungWan

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think it's more about banging much younger women, than any cultural differences. 

Can't fault your thinking on that one.  For a 56-year-old man to wake up next to a naked 24-year-old, is just pure hog heaven.  I can't tell you otherwise.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well..they were pretty common in my village-with or without foreigners.

But your post was a none to subtle "western" bashing exercise,was it not?

If you find one of those supposedly intrepid,unconventional and mind expanding free spirits in Thailand then please let me know.

Generally it was pensions,Brexit,Trump and those people from the middle east (you know the ones) and the price of a cup of coffee with the odd leer at a passing female.

Not Western bashing, but some philosophical trues.  Some persons live out their retirement in their home country and some very few come here.  What determines the difference?  I think the opportunity to escape the mind numbing rituals and obedience imposed by state and religion, that allow no place for individualism.  The rigidness of the West is suffocating, in my opinion.  Thailand is suffocating to the locals, but it does not affect us.  With the coercive western society gone, individuality is allowed to bloom.  I believe you see nothing beneficial but lower prices and the opportunity to leer at women (or more) in Thai society which would call someone to make it home.  I find Thailand more than that.

20 hours ago, villagefarang said:

I left my home country at 23, so really don’t have any old friends to compare life with.  Still, I am quite certain my life has been, and still is, much more interesting than if I had remained in place, even at my present age of 64.

Welcome back. 

I am in touch with some from long ago and it is amazing how many are struggling and even desperate in spite of being well educated, one a lawyer might be on the verge of homelessness at age sixty eight. 

And I too after many years here remain curious and enjoying the adventure of every day. 

• Like 2