Pattaya’s hotel performance rebounds as EEC drives positive market sentiment

rooster59

Pattaya’s hotel performance rebounds as EEC drives positive market sentiment

By Bill Barnett

bangkok-to-pattaya.jpg

Thailand’s second largest tourism market, Pattaya has pushed through the glass ceiling from the volatility hangover of the 2014 era, with its hotel sector now showing strong signs of rising stability. According to the latest available data, strong demand from the Thai domestic sector accounted for 38% of hotel guests at Chonburi province accommodation establishments.

Greater Pattaya’s expanding gateway aviation hub U-Tapao International Airport has been a critical stimulator of demand, where passenger arrivals over a three-year period rose at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 79% according to a new report from consulting group C9 Hotelworks.

One key infrastructure investments in the area has the Thai government finalising plans for high-speed rail links between U-Tapao and Bangkok’s two airports, Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang, which is undoubtedly a game changer for the Eastern Seaboard area. New international routes into U-Tapao grew dramatically through the past three years as airlift arrivals increased significantly with a CAGR of 59%.

Translating airlift into hotel metrics, global data provider STR recorded an 8.7% year-on-year spike in key indicator RevPAR at the end of 2017.  By mid-2018, market-wide occupancy hit 77.9%. While the current number of accommodation establishments in Chonburi province is 1,046 with 81,607 keys, most of the growth is centered in Greater Pattaya.  C9 Hotelworks report shows 11 new hotels in the development pipeline which accounts for 2,645 additional rooms.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/pattayas-hotel-performance-rebounds-as-eec-drives-positive-market-sentiment

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-09-23

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Yes good data when 400 if not more raided for not having a license .

PS. Hotels are empty, 5 stars giving rooms away for 2000 baht.

Can you give some examples of these empty hotels, I know your pretty hotel savvy so not disbelieving you but where are all these visitors staying and the graph in the link shows increasing hotel occupency

3 hours ago, Farrows3399 said:

Can you give some examples of these empty hotels, I know your pretty hotel savvy so not disbelieving you but where are all these visitors staying and the graph in the link shows increasing hotel occupency

What examples would you like? Would you like me to take you to hotel and knock on each door ? Or you can always open day agoda and see availability and prices.

wherr are all the visitors staying? What visitors ? Pattaya is empty, restaurants empty, bars empty, clubs empty, massage shop empty .

the only huge numbers are on the paper from TAT

and finally I own a hotel, last year September I was at 70%, this year lucky to be 20%, sister hotel same figures, 2 guest houses near by, 1 room with guest. 

A good friends owns a market, not a market stall but the entire market , and vendors are cancelling their places , not enough sales 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

What examples would you like? Would you like me to take you to hotel and knock on each door ? Or you can always open day agoda and see availability and prices.

wherr are all the visitors staying? What visitors ? Pattaya is empty, restaurants empty, bars empty, clubs empty, massage shop empty .

and finally I own a hotel, last year September I was at 70%, this year lucky to be 20%, sister hotel same figures, 2 guest houses near by, 1 room with guest. 

A good friends owns a market, not a market stall but the entire market , and vendors are cancelling their places , not enough sales 

What percentage of your guests are Chinese?

2 hours ago, BestB said:

im an avid coach watcher when im over and have not seen a full coach for a couple of years, you mignt see 10 or so coaches at Vogue Hotel soi lengkee but most are half full at best

1 minute ago, Basil B said:

Just to point out it is low season...

Presume a lot more hotels have registered and registering guests.

Let’s put it this way , last year agoda had around 900 hotels available in Pattaya , right now 560.Out of 560, about 60 always showing sold out , any months , any day.  So full? Or closed? Or stop selling through agoda ?

23 minutes ago, BestB said:

That’s 2 months away ?

Of course, but he was somewhat taken aback that hotels were fully booked so soon; suggesting high season may be busier than usual. He has been coming here upwards of 30 years, by the way.

4 hours ago, BestB said:

sorry if you check the hotels where the Chinese are you will be surprised how many people hotels have 

ofcores they not stay in guest house 

And yes beerbars are empty because no farangs anymore 

Same with restaurant 

But food market is full of Thai and Russian here in jomtien so I can't see your message to be true 

And you own a hotel with no customer it not mean no tourists in Thailand but lack of communication from your side to try get some customers 

Thailand is becoming a major tourist destination for the Chinese 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

sorry if you check the hotels where the Chinese are you will be surprised how many people hotels have 

ofcores they not stay in guest house 

And yes beerbars are empty because no farangs anymore 

Same with restaurant 

But food market is full of Thai and Russian here in jomtien so I can't see your message to be true 

And you own a hotel with no customer it not mean no tourists in Thailand but lack of communication from your side to try get some customers 

Thailand is becoming a major tourist destination for the Chinese 

Good rant, Chinese arrivals dropped 11% in August , try to keep up ?

and market is not full, stop posting BS, jomtien is even bigger ghost town

Edited by BestB

8 minutes ago, champers said:

Of course, but he was somewhat taken aback that hotels were fully booked so soon; suggesting high season may be busier than usual. He has been coming here upwards of 30 years, by the way.

With booking.com bookings where at least 50% are not genuine ,you may find your friend will be able to get a room closer to November .

but yes high season may well get busy, but for how long? 

Good rant, Chinese arrivals dropped 11% in August , try to keep up ?

and market is not full, stop posting BS, jomtien is even bigger ghost town

It is facts try go to the market you can't get a shop for sell food same in trappasit 

every year in low season number of tourists will drop ofcores 

But Thailand have never get so meny tourists and it will continue to raise 

B. S.  It is up to you to decide but you can just keep your fantasy dream about Thailand going down..... 

Just now, Henrik Andersen said:

It is facts try go to the market you can't get a shop for sell food same in trappasit 

every year in low season number of tourists will drop ofcores 

But Thailand have never get so meny tourists and it will continue to raise 

B. S.  It is up to you to decide but you can just keep your fantasy dream about Thailand going down..... 

I just told you a good friend owns the entire market and vendors cancelling their spaces yet here you are spouting nonsense how busy it is .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Been for a drive quite a few times, including last night and all dead. Ok, slightly busier than other places but still dead

Yes farang places is dead no farangs but you really need looking inside for Thailand are actually changed because Chinese coming so yes beerbars small restaurant will be dead as same as guest houses 

I just told you a good friend owns the entire market and vendors cancelling their spaces yet here you are spouting nonsense how busy it is .

Sorry you talk nonsense not me 

And you really think you know everything that is nonsense 

All my Thai friends are super busy selling food and not only Pattaya 

5 minutes ago, champers said:

Maybe it is different parts of town that are busy. Soi LK Metro doesn't generally cater to Indian, Chinese and other East Asian visitors.

Walking is also dead but as I said before , agoda has half the hotels it did last year and 5 star hotels giving rooms away for 2000 baht . 3 stars for 400 baht.

if it was busy, no one in their right mind would give rooms away for 400 baht, even guesthouse charges more 

Just now, overherebc said:

Quite sure all these on-line booking sites don't have all the rooms in a hotel on their system. Always seem to have

'last room at this price' or

'only one/two rooms for this time'

Call the hotel and ask. ??

Professional hotels or I should say hotels that are run properly use channel manager , so rooms allocation is correct , however OTA’s use lots of gimmicks like only 2 rooms left, where it fact there may only be 2 rooms. 

Interesting to note with booking.com, they introduced new policy/function. If someone books more than 1 hotel on the same dates or overlapping , this new function will cancel their booking automatically .BUT agoda and Expedia now introducing booking.com model for bookings. 

19 minutes ago, BestB said:

Professional hotels or I should say hotels that are run properly use channel manager , so rooms allocation is correct , however OTA’s use lots of gimmicks like only 2 rooms left, where it fact there may only be 2 rooms. 

Interesting to note with booking.com, they introduced new policy/function. If someone books more than 1 hotel on the same dates or overlapping , this new function will cancel their booking automatically .BUT agoda and Expedia now introducing booking.com model for bookings. 

If you try one of the well known sites and get a price for a room but don't book it, go back 15 minutes later from the same phone/laptop and the price wiil have gone up. Amazing.

Borrow or use your wife's/friends phone and it will have gone back to the first price you were quoted. Even more 'Amazing' ??