First-time flyer mistakes aircraft door for lavatory gate, tries to open it mid-air

webfact

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

He was obviously winging it and under the impression there was an outside toilet.

Maybe this was just his first time traveling inside a plane.  I did a lot of air travel for business over the years, strictly economy.  My boss referred to it as "strapped to the wing class", and the facilities were outdoors.  But it was OK to smoke back then, as long as you could get it lit.

The-Flight-of-the-Phoenix-1.jpg

Edited by Damrongsak

5 hours ago, oilinki said:

If I recall correctly, the air pressure inside cabin is about 3000 meters. To open the door would require several thousand kilograms of force. 

This is one reason, why airlines don't really pay attention to this safety issue while they try to think every possibility of security breach in advance. 

About 1800 - 2500 meter 

New Dreamliner is 1800 feet for an examble. 

Pressurization systems are designed to keep the interior cabin pressure between 12 and 11 psi at cruise altitude. On a typical flight, as the aircraft climbs to 36,000 feet, the interior of the plane “climbs” to between 6000-8000 feet.

https://aerosavvy.com/aircraft-pressurization/

Edited by Hummin

12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I always assumed the "cross check" phrase was an instruction to the cabin crew to make a sign of the cross, praising god they had arrived without incident.

No, they say that on Garuda Indonesia too!

39 minutes ago, Chassa said:

What does "Arm doors and cross check mean". Pilot to cabin crew on take-off? "Disarm doors and cross check" on landing.

I've been hearing that on planes forever.

Before take-off, the inflatable emergency slides on the doors are armed so that they deploy automatically when the door is opened.  A crew member is assigned a particular door, and then they each cross over and check the door on the other side to ensure that it's been done.  After landing, the slides are disarmed, so the doors may be opened without them deploying.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Remember being on a flight in Russia long time back,chaps came on board with several jerry can's of kerosene, was not seats for them only a short hop flight,so they proceeded to stand at the back,smoking and drinking vodka,slightly worrying.

As flight took off screws holding my seat to the floor sheared off leaving the seat and me swaying out into the isle every now and then,another chap lost control of his dog,which bit some one,one of either the pilot or co pilot came and told him to keep it under control,then pulled out a pistol ,threatend  to shoot the brute ,which was more like a wolf than a dog,a memorable flight indeed.

You tell a great story, thanks. An LOL moment is always appreciated. ????

How about a "fish" story? Lots of room for embellishment with that topic.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, nervona81732 said:

Aussieroaming, another Trump hater from another country. Mind your own BIZ and worry about the stupid <deleted> your own GOV does to you folks. Button up. Cheers MF.

Trump is an international problem and a clown, so enjoy your taxpayer derived circus. I mind whatever business suits me, so take your seppo advise elsewhere.