Royal Enfield 650 twin launched

Markc

May be of some interest to members, Royal Enfield have finally launched their 650 twin range to the media at an event in California.  Inital reports from the motorcycle media after the test rides all seem pretty positive about the bike.

Some common comments such as smooth engine with very little or insignificant vibration, smooth gear box, sounds great, rides well, confidence inspiring etc etc.

Some reviews and videos starting to appear on the internet.

Pricing for US market:

RE Interceptor 650

Standard     $5799

Custom       $5999

Chrome       $6499

RE Continental 650 GT

Standard      $5999

Custom        $6249

Chrome        $6799

(the only difference in the three variants in each range is the paint scheme on the tank, everything else on the bikes are the same)

As a comparison the RE Classic 500 retails in the States for $5500 or thereabouts.

No mention, unless anyone knows otherwise, of when or if this bike will be released in Thailand.  If it does based on the above prices it could be retailed here at a very competitive price point compared to the competition.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Markc said:

Here you go for those that are interested, prices for Thailand announced today:

RE Interceptor 650

Standard:  213,000 baht

Custom:    215,000 baht

Chrome:    218,000 baht

RE Continental GT 650

Standard:   221,000 baht

Custom:     223,700 baht

Chrome:     226,000 baht

3 year warranty unlimited kilometers

3 year roadside assist

Can book from today but unclear on when available in the dealerships (maybe March 2019???)

Can you give a link.... I’m trying to decide between Vulcan S, Triumph Bonnie and the 650 Enfield 

26 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

If money is no object, and you have the funds, out of the 3 you mentioned, there is only one choice, and it stands head & shoulders above the other 2 in quality, fit & finish, torque, and availability of aftermarket stuff.

Begins with T...........

The funds.... yep.... could be an issue,... 130,000 baht down and 5 years of 10,000 monthly installments, could do it I guess... that’s the offer for the speedmaster my local dealer gave me.... then again, I’m in my early 50’s, not much big bike experience, the Vulcan S might keep me out of the crematorium in that respect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

If money is no object, and you have the funds, out of the 3 you mentioned, there is only one choice, and it stands head & shoulders above the other 2 in quality, fit & finish, torque, and availability of aftermarket stuff.

Begins with T...........

True but for a UJM the Vulcan is ok .A little different from the norm,decent performance,but lots of plastic.

As you say money.I wont pay 632,000 bht for the one I'd like.

Edited by findlay13
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

the Vulcan S might keep me out of the crematorium in that respect.

All the control is in your right wrist.

Pick your time - pick your place.

Nice to have the option when the other choices will not give anywhere near the same experience.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

The funds.... yep.... could be an issue,... 130,000 baht down and 5 years of 10,000 monthly installments, could do it I guess... that’s the offer for the speedmaster my local dealer gave me.... then again, I’m in my early 50’s, not much big bike experience, the Vulcan S might keep me out of the crematorium in that respect.

The VulcanS will get you into trouble if you let it. Especially in Thailand.As Canthai said,it's in your right wrist.

Edited by findlay13

The Speedmaster 1,200 is a great bike[just change the bars for me] but that's 850,000 bht if you pay it off over 5 years.632,000 cash.compared to 490,000-500,000 bht cash in Australia.I am a Triumph fanatic [ some say tragic] but I wont pay that.The Vulcan S is 240,000 cash which is about the same price as Australia.Best bang for the buck IMO.

Edited by findlay13
  • Like 2

730,000 bht to pay

22 hours ago, findlay13 said:

The Speedmaster 1,200 is a great bike[just change the bars for me] but that's 850,000 bht if you pay it off over 5 years.632,000 cash.compared to 490,000-500,000 bht cash in Australia.I am a Triumph fanatic [ some say tragic] but I wont pay that.The Vulcan S is 240,000 cash which is about the same price as Australia.Best bang for the buck IMO.

730,000bht to pay off.Never been good at maths !????

23 hours ago, findlay13 said:

The VulcanS will get you into trouble if you let it. Especially in Thailand.As Canthai said,it's in your right wrist.

I should add stating the obvious,it's also very dependent on the other "enlightened " road users in Thailand and the "Me first" mentality 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 9:32 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Begins with T...........

On 11/26/2018 at 8:44 PM, lemonjelly said:

Can you give a link.... I’m trying to decide between Vulcan S, Triumph Bonnie and the 650 Enfield 

If that is your list, I'd take a good look at the Kawasaki W800. I had a similar list and ended up with that (trading up from a Yamaha SR400). I'm very happy with the bike. As one reviewer put it--like having a classic old Triumph or BSA without having to push it everywhere.

• Like 2

This sums up biking for me...

Seems to tick a lot of boxes for me and just about affordable if I sell my body. A new one means 3 years without an UK MOT return just cruising Europe, mountains and coast roads........

SKIing is fun....... (Spending the Kids Inheritence)

• Like 1