UPS

SteveK

Hi, living in rural Isaan, I would like to buy 2 uninterruptible power supplies, one for my desktop and monitor, one for the router.

I know nothing about these devices, even though we used to use them at work back in the UK.

Is there anything I should know? Most of the time when the power goes here it's back on in under 30 minutes.

I have 4 of them.  Monitor.  Router. 2 Computers and security system.  Bought mine at Lotus.  Lazada and Makro have them if I'm not mistaken.  I replaced the battery in one although it says not to do that.  I don't have my printer hooked up read something about not to do that I seem to remember.  I use mine to turn off my system if the power fails.  It will run my stuff for 10 or 20 minutes.  Mine all have 4 grounded pugs one plug not part of the battery.  1000 to 2000 baht each.  Output Power Capacity ( VA) 650 VA / 325 W.  Battery replacement 500 to 1000 baht.  I'd check where to get one that I could replace the battery. 

replacement battery.jpg

ups.jpg

Amazing, thanks. You mentioned they have grounded plugs but surely that is a waste of time if your house isn't earthed?

I'm looking at ordering online from InvadeIT, anyone used them before?

Edited by pr9spk

11 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Amazing, thanks. You mentioned they have grounded plugs but surely that is a waste of time if your house isn't earthed?

I'm looking at ordering online from InvadeIT, anyone used them before?

InvadeIT are excellent.  I've bought stuff from them, many times.  Never a problem and an email to Thomas Skyum, with any queries, always gets a quick response.  Much more convenient than trogging down to TukCom, or the like, only to find that half the shops in there have disappeared!

I have bought two APC UPS from them - one for the router and one for my desktop and monitor.  They both work well.  One caveat though - look at the power connections.  Some models use IEC connectors and these are incompatible with Thai plugs so you need adaptors.  Good luck finding those locally.  HomePro used to stock them - don't know if they still do.  Probably available from Lazada though.

I don't understand why you would want a separate UPS for a router.  The router draws hardly any current and would barely drain the UPS battery at all.  I use one UPS for everything and it runs my entire setup for about 15 minutes during a power outage. Mine is a PowerMatic (http://www.powermatic.co.th/PD_4_3/powercom/) that I bought locally.  I have replaced the battery twice (from Lazada) and it's quite simple.

20 minutes ago, richsilver said:

I don't understand why you would want a separate UPS for a router.  The router draws hardly any current and would barely drain the UPS battery at all.  I use one UPS for everything and it runs my entire setup for about 15 minutes during a power outage. Mine is a PowerMatic (http://www.powermatic.co.th/PD_4_3/powercom/) that I bought locally.  I have replaced the battery twice (from Lazada) and it's quite simple.

Agreed, the router draws little current and will happily run for an hour or more on a small UPS.

However, it is located nowhere near my 'office' where the rest of my kit lives, having to provide a wifi signal to other devices in the house.

Far more convenient to run the main kit off a larger UPS - gives about 20 minutes - and to run the router off a smaller one that's local to itself.

48 minutes ago, richsilver said:

I have two routers and a camera plugged into it. I have four UPS in case one or two go out and I use them in a power outage to charge my phones and tablet.  I switch from computer to Note 4's or tablet or laptop during an outage.  After I power down the main PC's then I can move the UPS to where I need them.