Another Internet Question

terrymor66

OK, first off, let me tell you that I am not very computer savy. That being said here is my question. I use my laptop here in my condo. I have a wireless modem. When I first moved in 7 months ago, i had a few available networks, but could not connect to any of them.

Then one day, this network ( Belkin54G) shows up and i connect to it easily and have pretty good speed and it is all free. The only thing that I can correlate it to is that I connected UBC satellite TV around the same time I started getting the network.

Do you think that I am getting a freebie from UBC ? or is my wireless picking up another condo rooms wireless network ?

One reason I am curious is because I am moving out to Maejo next month into a new house. I am planning on keeping the UBC and wondering if I am going to also be keeping this internet connection or do I need to start looking for a new provider ? A free one again would be great :o

Thanks for any input or ideas :D

It's extremely very mostly likely you are trespassing into "another condo rooms wireless network". The poor guy just haven't learned to set up security on his router. I have a wireless Belkin 54G router and 'Belkin54G' is the default network name for that router. (It's been out of business for more than a year, though, so it isn't my network you're trespassing into).

You are almost certainly pilfering someone else's bandwidth, given that the name of the WiFi network is the default setting for a consumer-grade access point. You'll always find that legitamately free WiFi hotspots will have been named appropriately.

In any case to answer your question, the only reasonably reliable, almost reasonably fast, and almost economical way to get 23:59x7 internet access in the Mae Jo area is ADSL. Obviously you'll need a PSTN line within DSL exchange range however (<5-6KM).

There's plenty of ADSL plans available ranging from ~400 Baht/Mth up to 40,000 Baht/Mth, however some of the more reasonably priced plans are limited to certain telco's (e.g. MaxNet/TT&T, HiNet/TOT). As a rough guide, a 1mbps plan (which will provide an actual 600-800kbps for international data, and features a 40kbps cap for VOIP/P2P) will cost around 1000 Baht/Mth + VAT from most ISP's. Better quality ADSL packages (i.e. 10:1 or less share ratio, like what you might be used to "back home") start around 4500 Baht/Mth for 1mbps.

I live in the area you're moving to, so you should know that even the good sounding ADSL providers are crap, in my experience. For example, I have a ToT line which promises to give me 1 meg per second, but delivers between 7-9 kpbs (when it works!)... 1,000 baht

Edited by Ajarn

I live in the area you're moving to, so you should know that even the good sounding ADSL providers are crap, in my experience. For example, I have a ToT line which promises to give me 1 meg per second, but delivers between 7-9 kpbs (when it works!)... 1,000 baht

So if you were going to change providers, who or what would you go with ? Or do you feel that ToT is your best bet there in the Maejo area ?

So if you were going to change providers, who or what would you go with ? Or do you feel that ToT is your best bet there in the Maejo area ?

It works enough for me. I don't want to look around and try something else.

Just hoping for better...

It works enough for me. I don't want to look around and try something else.

Just hoping for better...

Or do you feel that ToT is your best bet there in the Maejo area ?

You don't normally get to choose your telco (TOT, TT&T etc), it's normally just a matter of who has cables in your soi with "take it or leave it" as your only option unless you're willing to pony up ridiculous amounts of Baht just for a PSTN line.

If you're looking for specfic advice/opinions you'll need to first know what telco you've been married to :o

Or do you feel that ToT is your best bet there in the Maejo area ?

You don't normally get to choose your telco (TOT, TT&T etc), it's normally just a matter of who has cables in your soi with "take it or leave it" as your only option unless you're willing to pony up ridiculous amounts of Baht just for a PSTN line.

If you're looking for specfic advice/opinions you'll need to first know what telco you've been married to :o

Not true, as far as having a choice. I chose Tot, but I had TT&T installed already. I chose ToT because they could get me internet fast...

OK, first off, let me tell you that I am not very computer savy. That being said here is my question. I use my laptop here in my condo. I have a wireless modem. When I first moved in 7 months ago, i had a few available networks, but could not connect to any of them.

Then one day, this network ( Belkin54G) shows up and i connect to it easily and have pretty good speed and it is all free. The only thing that I can correlate it to is that I connected UBC satellite TV around the same time I started getting the network.

Do you think that I am getting a freebie from UBC ? or is my wireless picking up another condo rooms wireless network ?

One reason I am curious is because I am moving out to Maejo next month into a new house. I am planning on keeping the UBC and wondering if I am going to also be keeping this internet connection or do I need to start looking for a new provider ? A free one again would be great :o

Thanks for any input or ideas :D

I would not move reason if your getting free ISP and it good you will be very disapointed in your new place of residency because internet service in thailand is very poor to say the least enjoy it while you can bye Ronnie

I would not move reason if your getting free ISP and it good you will be very disapointed in your new place of residency because internet service in thailand is very poor to say the least enjoy it while you can bye Ronnie

Sorry but I can live with the disappointment ,for the peace and quite and cleaner air of living out of the city. the internet connection is not so important that I am willing to suffer thru another 6 months of construction and loud party bars and traffic. But I will take your advice under consideration :D :D NOT !! :o