Sushi Bar/restaurant Recommendations?

Jamie

Hi everyone...

Can anyone give a good recommendation for a sushi bar/restaurant? I'm going to be staying at the Century Park hotel which is close to the Victory Monument. Anything close to there would be great, although any recommendations would be appreciated.

No sushi bars in that area. There are a few Japanese restaurants nearby. The best is called Hiroshima which is on Ratchaprop Road ie. walking south toward World Trade Centre from Century Park. There is also a Japanese restaurant on Soi Rang Nam which is good, and that serves the preserved mackerel that you would find on sushi, but no sushi rice.

You'll have to go to Silom/Thaniya, Sukhumvit etc. Best sushi in BKK is reportedly at the place next to/above QBar.

Edited by sking_is_leaving

• 1 month later...

The best value sushi deal is at Kozo Sushi in the Thaniya Center, third floor. It's one of those conveyor belt places and you can eat as much as you like at lunch time for 229 Baht. Food's pretty good too (although perhaps not Michelin Star material) making for a very good work lunch option.

Kozozushi in Thaniya Plaza happened to be one of the worst sushi I had anywhere. I wouldn't have sushi there again for free.

For conveyor belt sushi I'd recommend Genki Sushi. It used to be in Amarin Plaza on Ploenchit but it was gone last time I went there. I've seen Genki Sushi in the basement of Silom Complex but not sure if it's still there.

For expensive ones;

Nippontei (basement of Nantawan Building, Rajdamri Rd. and elsewhere)

Sushicyu (All Seasons's Place, 3rd floor) http://www.sushicyu.com/

Tsu (JW Marriott, Ploenchit soi 2)

Aoi (Siam Paragon, Emporium, etc) serves very good and authentic Japanese food all round but never tried sushi yet. Somebody also recommended Matabei for sushi in another thread but not sure where that is.

If you like non-traditional fusion style sushi (California roll, rainbow roll etc.) I strongly recommend Sonie's in Suk. soi 39 and Thonglor (Playground, next to Thonglor police station).

For moderatley priced;

Genki Sushi (above mentioned)

There's another place in MBK 3rd floor near Tokyu dept. store but name escaped my memory...

I like Uomasa in Japan Town, Thonglor Soi 13 (I think). Not cheap, but not 5star hotel expensive either. Lots of Japanese go there, so they can't be wrong, eh?

I'd second this and enthusiastically recommend Uomasa (and I'm Japanese) but they have more sashimi than sushi. Not cheap but big volume, good value. And it is in Thonglor soi 13 (Japanese Village).

Edited by Nordlys

Kisso Japanese

WESTIN GRANDE SUKHUMVIT BANGKOK,259 SUKHUMVIT ROAD, BANGKOK 10110

SETTING

Kisso affords diners a quiet spot in the main dining room without any cooking theatrics to distract and add noise, though there is a teppanyaki room for those inclined. Frosted glass and minimalist furniture give it a modern look.

FOOD

A very large menu of hot and cold appetisers, many a la carte sushi and sashimi items, teppanyaki choices, soups, salads and dishes vinegared, steamed, grilled, fried and broiled. Rice and hot pot items are on offer, as are set meals including teppanyaki courses. Start off lightly with kaisou moriawase of fresh seaweed salad and enhance the subtle sea vegetable taste with the accompanying sweet-mustard condiment. A selection of assorted sashimi allows two diners a chance to sample the delicacies. Kobe beef is on the a la carte teppanyaki menu in portions of 100 and 150 grams; the beef is tender but the preparation can be a bit on the sweet side. For dessert, consider both green-tea ice cream and red beans on shaved ice with syrup, both typical Japanese sweets.

WINES

A well-rounded selection of sake and shochu in hot and cold varieties is available, along with a wine list that is better than average for a Japanese restaurant.

SERVICE

Staff members serve competently, but do not expect significant elaborations on menu items in English.

PRICE

Diners can meet with a considerably lower bill if local seafood is chosen for sushi, sashimi and other seafood dishes. Otherwise, two can dine for less than 3,000 baht without alcohol.

I enjoy their sushi. Nippon Tei is alos very good.

Wow, a lot of new places for me to try... great thread. I've had bad luck with sushi, here- the fish never seems very fresh, and sometimes it's still semi-frozen!

Once the Landmark Atrium buffet had a special sushi bar, where all the fish was fresh (never-frozen)- it was amazing, some of the best sashimi/sushi I'd ever had, in or out of Japan!!!

"S"

Kozozushi in Thaniya Plaza happened to be one of the worst sushi I had anywhere. I wouldn't have sushi there again for free.

When did you go there? They've very recently refurbished the place and hired new chefs and other staff, it's now pretty good I think.

When did you go there? They've very recently refurbished the place and hired new chefs and other staff, it's now pretty good I think.

About 3 years ago. Maybe they've since improved. I think they're not part of the big Kozo sushi chain in Japan anyway (that sells take out sushi only).

I think the TSU NAMI at JW Marriotts is tops. Not cheap.

My Chef friend from Japan claims the Japanese place at Bumrungrad is excellent.

i eat there 4 days a week. he is right.

Anyone checked out PlaDip?

Soi Aree samphan and Rama6 rd

Where is that exactly? Is it the place on the corner of Soi Ari Samphan 6?

yes

have not tried it but have read and heard good things about it

Edited by jdinasia

The japanese restaurant in the emporium directly opposite Fuji. Never tried it but the Japanese I know swear by it.

It's called Aoi and they serve very good Japanese food all round. Some of my Japanese friend also say they're by far the most authentic Japanese restaurant you can find in Bangkok. They have a branch in Silom and Siam Paragon too.

No sushi bars in that area. There are a few Japanese restaurants nearby. The best is called Hiroshima which is on Ratchaprop Road ie. walking south toward World Trade Centre from Century Park. There is also a Japanese restaurant on Soi Rang Nam which is good, and that serves the preserved mackerel that you would find on sushi, but no sushi rice.

You'll have to go to Silom/Thaniya, Sukhumvit etc. Best sushi in BKK is reportedly at the place next to/above QBar.

place closed almost as fast as it operned. people dont go to q bar for sushi, at least in a manner of speaking

There's another place in MBK 3rd floor near Tokyu dept. store but name escaped my memory...

I think that's Nippon Tei. Just ate there a few days ago, not bad. Not great either.

Another to mention is the fashionable Koi, on Suk Soi 24, and a branch of an LA place of the same name. Expensive though.

For hotels my faves are the JW Marriott (Tsunami) and the Conrad (Eat Rice Drink Tea), in fact they have the best sushi I've had in Bangkok.

There used to be a really good, inexpensive place near the Japanese embassy on Sathorn Tai Rd, but that was long ago, probably not there anymore. The clientele was almost exclusively Japanese.

I've heard good things about Sushi-chu in All Season's Place, must give it a try.

I think that's Nippon Tei. Just ate there a few days ago, not bad. Not great either.

Another to mention is the fashionable Koi, on Suk Soi 24, and a branch of an LA place of the same name. Expensive though.

For hotels my faves are the JW Marriott (Tsunami) and the Conrad (Eat Rice Drink Tea), in fact they have the best sushi I've had in Bangkok.

There used to be a really good, inexpensive place near the Japanese embassy on Sathorn Tai Rd, but that was long ago, probably not there anymore. The clientele was almost exclusively Japanese.

I've heard good things about Sushi-chu in All Season's Place, must give it a try.

Yes SJ, Drinking Tea & Eating Rice, is a very nice place to relax and eat great food.

Edited by ZukiSuzuki

That must be Sushi Tei. Nippon Tei is too upscale to be in MBK. And yes it's not bad but not great either.

But Japanese embassy has never been on Sathorn Tai Rd. (they've recently moved next to Suan Lum night bazaar from Asoke). You must be referring to Japanese association on Sathorn Nua Rd. in a building next to Citibank building. But I don't know any Jap. restaurants around there except one in the Japanese association itself.

Yes, Sushicyu is good but expensive. They have all you can eat sushi for 500Baht (weekends only) on their anniversary month (reservation only, but not every year) but they only advertise it in Japanese free papers.