Importing HiFi

Putmak

I’m looking to import my HiFi system which has been in storage in the UK. Four separate boxes, weight around 50kg. I’ll intend to use a shipping agency. What are the implications, if any ?. Looking  for some replies of those who have first hand experience please.

I was thinking of doing the same although my electronics would have to be converted from 110v to 220v.  I decided against that and then thought about just shipping my speakers.  The shipping cost plus the customs duties IMO made it useless endeavor.  I can’t seem to dig up where I saw the duties, but from what I remember reading, Electronics are taxed at 10% and Speakers at 30%. (The tax/duty/whatever you want to call it is levied on the value+shipping fees+insurance fees.  How they come up with their valuation, I have no idea.  

8 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I was thinking of doing the same although my electronics would have to be converted from 110v to 220v.  I decided against that and then thought about just shipping my speakers.  The shipping cost plus the customs duties IMO made it useless endeavor.  I can’t seem to dig up where I saw the duties, but from what I remember reading, Electronics are taxed at 10% and Speakers at 30%. (The tax/duty/whatever you want to call it is levied on the value+shipping fees+insurance fees.  How they come up with their valuation, I have no idea.  

Thanks for the reply. The thing is the speakers (PMC) I could could buy again here, but it would be expensive to do so, and some of my system I can not. (Naim). I’m pretty sure the Naim distributor in BKK has given up the distributorship. I’d then have to deal with the sale of the duplicated components in the UK. I’m not sure either in that case then how they would arrive at a valuation based upon the shipping cost, insurance...etc when the shipment would have mixed component, ie speakers, amps etc ?...

2 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Thanks for the reply. The thing is the speakers (PMC) I could could buy again here, but it would be expensive to do so, and some of my system I can not. (Naim). I’m pretty sure the Naim distributor in BKK has given up the distributorship. I’d then have to deal with the sale of the duplicated components in the UK. I’m not sure either in that case then how they would arrive at a valuation based upon the shipping cost, insurance...etc when the shipment would have mixed component, ie speakers, amps etc ?...

PMC is available here.  They even have a Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/PMC-Thailand-949449788520256/

Depending on the model, some are even cheaper than the US list price.  The DB1 Gold limited is on my list of speakers to check out.  The others are out of my price range.

A couple days ago, I purchased an integrated amp from a small dealer here in BKK.  He had lots of Naim Equipment (it appeared to be new but I didn’t ask) and he is also the dealer for Sugden. (Hi-Fi 99 in Fashion Island Mall). They have a Facebook page and the owner speaks NO English.

WRT how customs determines the value, I really don’t know but I’m pretty sure they will get their puns of flesh.  I decided that it’s easier and more cost effective (for myself) to sell my equipment back in the US and repurchase here.

3 minutes ago, Airalee said:

PMC is available here.  They even have a Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/PMC-Thailand-949449788520256/

Depending on the model, some are even cheaper than the US list price.  The DB1 Gold limited is on my list of speakers to check out.  The others are out of my price range.

A couple days ago, I purchased an integrated amp from a small dealer here in BKK.  He had lots of Naim Equipment (it appeared to be new but I didn’t ask) and he is also the dealer for Sugden. (Hi-Fi 99 in Fashion Island Mall). They have a Facebook page and the owner speaks NO English.

WRT how customs determines the value, I really don’t know but I’m pretty sure they will get their puns of flesh.  I decided that it’s easier and more cost effective (for myself) to sell my equipment back in the US and repurchase here.

Thanks, yes I know PMC are available here. Maybe I’ll end up doing the same, if I can find a reliable source for the Naim equipment. 

On 9/29/2018 at 5:04 PM, Putmak said:

That’s great, many thanks for that Airalee. I just now need to sell the equipment in UK storage, and like you forget the importing.....all the best. 

Just picked up a pair of PMC DB1 Gold speakers today and I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed.  Unfortunately, I won’t be nearly as impressed when I finally get my rig up and running, as this was the system that they hooked the speakers up to.

Somehow, I don’t think my ฿65,000 Hegel integrated amp will sound quite as good as ฿5,000,000 worth of Chord gear.

I think I’m ruined.

CB80764B-A139-4178-9131-41FF1B15DE6A.jpeg

Edited by Airalee

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

Just picked up a pair of PMC DB1 Gold speakers today and I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed.  Unfortunately, I won’t be nearly as impressed when I finally get my rig up and running, as this was the system that they hooked the speakers up to.

Somehow, I don’t think my ฿65,000 Hegel integrated amp will sound quite as good as ฿5,000,000 worth of Chord gear.

I think I’m ruined.

.....555, that’s one serious system. Thanks for posting. Be interested to know what you think of your 

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

I think I’m ruined.

.....555 that’s one serious system. Thanks for posting. Just out of interest which store was this ?.Also id be interested to know what you think of your DB1’s after they are burnt in....can pm me if you prefer....cheers.

53 minutes ago, Putmak said:

.....555 that’s one serious system. Thanks for posting. Just out of interest which store was this ?.Also id be interested to know what you think of your DB1’s after they are burnt in....can pm me if you prefer....cheers.

The store was called “High End Gallery” on the 2nd floor of the “Nine Center” on Rama 9.  Small store focusing on primarily high end gear.  Strangely enough, the DB1s are coming in at prices way below what we would pay in the US or UK.  Go figure.  I never thought I would find a high end audio “deal” here in Thailand.

I'm very surprised that PMC are cheaper here than in the UK, seeing it's a UK brand.  Like others, I'd recommend that the poster not try to import the system here unless their company do it for them (i.e within 6 months of new job with work permit, first shipment of household goods tax free).

Naim gear is easy to sell on ebay UK and some forums.  I've seen some second hand Naim for sale here in Bangkok through dealers such as Mozart and HiFi99.  There was also a guy selling some second hand PMC DB1s on facebook and bahtsold a few months ago..not sure if he still has them.  

Naim + PMC, Kudos, Dali speakers are a good combination btw. 

58 minutes ago, CarlBkk said:

I'm very surprised that PMC are cheaper here than in the UK, seeing it's a UK brand. 

I was surprised too.  Maybe it’s just the PB1 that is being currently discounted.  The dealer said that PMC is relatively new to Thailand and that is why they had the PB1s at an introductory price of ฿38,900.  They did say that in the future, the price would be ฿58,900 which is definitely well above the UK retail price.  I didn’t check the prices on the other models as I already knew they are too expensive for a beer budget audiophile like myself.