Foreign tourist assaulted by security guard after being denied entry at Don Mueang

Jonathan Fairfield

Really can’t comment not see what happened prior. Maybe the Chinese person tried pushing his way in and guard tried to stop him? 

I’m fairly sure the Chinese person was already wound up being refused entry to LOS. 

If circumstances reveal guard not at fault doesn’t And doing his hope that he’s not fired. 

Depends who lost face first....... at least it shows their checking and not just letting anyone in. 

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:
7 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Do I have this correct? He was not allowed to enter the country, placed in detention but feeling entitled, broke out if detention and entered the country? He was then confronted by security which apparently had no choice but to clock him. Now, the Chinese are whining. Via Jakarta with no onward ticket and presumably, no job.

Lucky for him it wasn't in states. He'd have been done serious harm by the cops, multiple charges, jail and plane back to communist China.

I think thats a Fed charge too. And they are serious about it.

Ah our resident deflection team in action - However we are not in the US but Thailand. Really look on a map its under the chunk labeled North America, there is the USA. Thailand on the other hand is in Asia  :thumbsup:

And if in US ....

A) he would never make it on the flight because he would not have a VISA Doh!

B) If he did enter by some chance make the flight with no visa, he would be held in a room, and or sleeping quarters, until he would be put back on the next available flight at the airlines expense that brought him. And no, they wouldn't be playing whip-bully games with him because they handle this at airport all the time. They have security, they have staffed detention rooms

Back to the Deflection cheat sheets, kids

20 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Good move on his part - regardless on how agitated the person was - that physical response from the guard was inexcusable

Cooler heads should have prevailed here

Mr Suterawat said the guard involved has been suspended and will face a disciplinary procedure which will almost certainly result in him losing his job.

good !

41 minutes ago, leafmould said:

I gave a Chinese guy a slap once in the line waiting at immigration, he walked past me to get in front. Only a slap on his arm with my passport but loud enough to shock him and move him back. Seems from what I've seen many Chinese think others are below them and rules do not apply. More in the case off road traffic, immigration etc than my case. 

I don't hesitate to push back

I work across ASEAN and I come and go at Thai airports all the time (about four times a month). I can speak Thai quite well and see/hear Thai officials at the airports speaking terribly about foreigners so frequently (sadly, this seems apparent more in Thailand than other countries in the region, where the airport staff are generally much more respectful than Thai airport staff). I have come to realise that this is a 'Thai thing': A general lack of respect for foreigners and an arrogance that, generally speaking, causes them to look down on all foreigners. Sorry for the statement but that's what I see.

There are several issues with this matter.

1. how did the Chinese guy walk out of the detention room which is supposed to be a secure area?

2. why did the guard push his hand into the Chinese guys face?

3. why did the guard attempt to punch the Chinese guy.

This security guard was not alone. Why did the security guards not get the Chinese guy by each arm and march him back to the supposed secured detention area. The other security guard just stood there and watched his mate assault the Chinese guy, he should also be sacked for not stopping his mate, they always work as a 2 man team. If the immigration detention room is not secured then it would appear that it was free for the Chinese guy to just walk out. The security guard had no right to push his hand into the face of the Chinese guy and he had not right to attempt to punch the Chinese guy.

Definitely shows a lack of proper training of the security guards.  If someone is detained, they need to STAY detained until whatever problem they have is cleared up.  The Chinese should never have been allowed to leave the containment room and wander around--that's a serious security breech.  Definitely would not have been allowed in any airport with good security.

So, using this as a training opportunity, first the guards were unprofessional in letting the tourist leave the containment room and then they were unprofessional in, I assume, their attempt to detain the Chinese again.  Way too much standing around in the video by the security guards, looking clueless.  If this person warranted detaining, then get it in gear and detain him. Call in extra help if needed and physically take custody of him.  

Ok what part did I miss?     Guard fired why?   Bend rules for the sake of tourism?      Good they stopped him maybe

he would’ve found trouble if let in

if he can’t provide Where he’s staying.  Show he has sufficient funds.    Then Why fire the guard?

He admitted the incident shown in the clip actually occurred at the airport, as the passenger who had just arrived from Indonesia failed to produce a valid documentation on any reserved accommodation in Thailand, exhibited inappropriate behaviors with immigration officials, and refused to stay in the lounge awaiting the deportation. 

The passenger prompted the airport's security guard to take action, leading the passenger to try to run away, requiring the guard to use force to stop him. The physical action on the part of the guard was considered unreasonable. 

The airport general-manger expressed apologies regarding this incident which could affect the country's tourism image, and will send a letter of apology to the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok. 

The security guard in question has been fired while the airport general-manager currently gets himself under a 30-day suspension to show responsibility, and will take part in an investigation.

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

On the video,we don't know what happened before the guard 

hit him,if the Chinese had stayed where he was supposed to

in the detention area,this would never have happened,some of

these Chinese deserve a slap,they can be very arrogant.

Thailand a bit quick off the mark to grovel to the Chinese.

regards worgeordie

Agree 100%. The whole country like so many others worldwide are hooked on Chinese money.

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Very well noted as video starts rolling just the moment guard goes for a slap . Why video did not start 30 seconds or 1 min prior. Is it possible there was already an altercation and guard was attacked first ?

21 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Police may have slightly better training than a 300 baht/day security guard, although violence seems the first tactic for both security and police here.

Do you want to see police in the airports looking for ways to acquire tea money or brown envelopes?

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

The Chinese are way down the list of arrogant nationalities. Try (airport security) taking a swing at a Brit, American or Australian (for example) and see what dramas that would cause. Insert any nationality you like - most would have equalled or surpassed the drama you witnessed here. 

There's an anti-Chinese sentiment in every one of your posts that I've read here so far... what did they do to you?

16 hours ago, NaamGin said:

The Chinese tourist had been refused entry into the country and had been detained. He exited the detention area and was wandering the airport, likely looking for an exit and to enter Thailand. The cop was doing his job. At some point reality smacks you in the face, like this guy found out. 

Unfortunately many Chinese do not feel the rules apply to them and if they push hard enough they will get their way. Not being there means than no one besides the security guard could know just how hard this guy pushed. It is very likely he did the only thing he could to stop this person.

Sack the B"$tard immediately. He has attacked the tourist regardless of whatever verbal provocation, he is employed as a security guard, his position is to protect and secure the area he  works in not assault tourists. Be interesting to see how this pans out (If it is ever followed up) If I was the tourist I would probably be looking at prosecuting him for assault or at least waiting for him after work on a dark night with a very big metal pipe.

8 minutes ago, chama said:

Unfortunately many Chinese do not feel the rules apply to them and if they push hard enough they will get their way. Not being there means than no one besides the security guard could know just how hard this guy pushed. It is very likely he did the only thing he could to stop this person.

Have a good look at the video and there are 2 security guards and only 1 Chinese guy, look at the figures no excuse for assault by the security guard

40 minutes ago, tropo said:

The Chinese are way down the list of arrogant nationalities. Try (airport security) taking a swing at a Brit, American or Australian (for example) and see what dramas that would cause. Insert any nationality you like - most would have equalled or surpassed the drama you witnessed here. 

There's an anti-Chinese sentiment in every one of your posts that I've read here so far... what did they do to you?

Other than that video of an Aussie behaving badly in Singapore, got any recent news stories about Westerners acting like arschlochs at a Thai Airport?

Lets get real here. The Security Guard screwed up. But the Chinese tourists are obnoxious and everybody in the world knows it.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:04 PM, Argus Tuft said:

Good move on his part - regardless on how agitated the person was - that physical response from the guard was inexcusable

Cooler heads should have prevailed here

Not correct... 

The Chinese man has been denied entry to Thailand but has broken through a secured area to enter into Thailand within the airport.. the security has every right to use whatever restraining power necessary to stop and apprehend him !!

Some countries it would have been a lots worse, including Europe & USA

18 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Improper training of security personnel. Improper screening of applicants to hire. You can point the finger anywhere you want. IMHO, there is no justification for violence. Thailand is a peaceful country. Normal Thai style diplomacy could have resolved this.

<deleted>... when you enter a country and they deny you entry and restrict you to a room you do not go walkabout.. some countries if you did that you'd be in a morgue !!

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Not correct... 

The Chinese man has been denied entry to Thailand but has broken through a secured area to enter into Thailand within the airport.. the security has every right to use whatever restraining power necessary to stop and apprehend him !!

Some countries it would have been a lots worse, including Europe & USA

Not correct...

The Chinese man has not broken through a secured area at all and security are not allowed to use whatever force they want to. They are only allowed to use reasonable force to restrain him and that does not include assaulting the person. There was no need for the assault as there were 2 security guards there and the 2 of them should have been able to apprehend him without the assault.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Other than that video of an Aussie behaving badly in Singapore, got any recent news stories about Westerners acting like arschlochs at a Thai Airport?

Lets get real here. The Security Guard screwed up. But the Chinese tourists are obnoxious and everybody in the world knows it.

I cannot find one video of an Aussie (or American, or Brit) being punched in the head by an airport security officer. My comments were purely based on what I know of the nationalities I mentioned. They would not take it sitting down. Wouldn't it be interesting to see a Thai tourist being punched in the head by a Chinese airport security officer in China?

Saying "Chinese tourists are obnoxious" (implying all, as you haven't qualified it with "some" or "many") is actually a very obnoxious statement in its own right... it's just more anti-Chinese sentiment to keep the main theme of the thread rolling along.

Archived