That Time Thailand Tried Moving Angkor Wat to Bangkok

geovalin

BANGKOK — Thailand is often accused by Cambodians of stealing their cultural heritage, from Khon to the Preah Vihear temple. But all these disputes pale in comparison to Thailand’s attempted theft of Angkor Wat.

Speaking at a Thursday panel, Khmer expert and historian Santi Pakdeekham recounted the bizarre and ambitious project that has been mostly forgotten today, which, had it succeeded, would have relocated parts of the nearly millennium-old temple – the world’s largest religious structure – next to where CentralWorld now stands in Bangkok.

The plot to steal Angkor Wat was hatched by King Rama IV in 1859, a year before French explorer Henri Mouhout’s journey to the massive temple that brought it to the world attention.

read more http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/09/28/that-time-thailand-tried-moving-angkor-wat-to-bangkok/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 30/09

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 10:25 PM, lvr181 said:

OMG and to this day 'government authorities' cannot put in place usable ramps for wheel chairs to use! Imagine the stuff ups trying to move Angkor Wat! 

LOS, no, LOD (Land of Dreamers). :clap2: 

I saw a wheelchair ramp  in Bangkok one time.  I have pictures of the ramp, the 4 or 5 steps the ramp was next to, the locked chain across the end of the ramp, preventing wheel chair access, and a sign that basically read, ramp for wheel chair use only.  In both Thai and English.

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

I saw a wheelchair ramp  in Bangkok one time.  I have pictures of the ramp, the 4 or 5 steps the ramp was next to, the locked chain across the end of the ramp, preventing wheel chair access, and a sign that basically read, ramp for wheel chair use only.  In both Thai and English.

TIT. ????