How much do you pay for your electric?

clarky cat

There will be a wide range depending on the following factors:

1. How much AC do you use per day?

2. Do you pay government rate (4-5b) or not (6-8b)?

3. How old is the AC?

4. How big is the condo? More than 1 AC unit on every night?

Lets say you use AC 10 hours per day, but if you have an old AC and pay 8b per unit, your bill will be probably twice to three times the amount of someone using the same 10 hours AC per day but with government rate and a new AC.

15 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well, you see the numbers are cumulative use.

We use a/c 24/7. We have three a/cs, let's call them #1, #2, and #3.

We alternate the use of both #1--in the third-floor bedroom--and #2--in the second-floor living room--approximately 12 hours each daily.

When guests are over, they may use #3--in the second floor bedroom--for 12 hours.

#1  12 hours a day

#2  12 hours a day

#3  12 hours a day

16 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I like background noise 24/7.

Thai soaps?   lol__________________

Total a/c use/day = 36hours/day

Edit, forgot this question: The video or audio are on 24/7 because I like background noise 24/7.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

It's the 8 Bht unit price that's knackering you up. That's DOUBLE the legal price.

Thing is i've always paid 8 baht a unit where i've stayed (1 bed studio/hotel rooms)

But usually my electric is about 1000-1200 a month for 12-14 hours use, including very old AC units

Now i'm paying nearly 2000 for 6-8 hours use. The brand is TCL which i've never seen before and looks nearly new, also has a very noisy built-in fan which is constant and there is no option to turn this off.

Staying in a condo, follows the government's pricing. 1 Aircon on 14+ hours a day, a fridge, charging electrics and daily usage.
Highest bill I've got so far is 497baht.
You must have a tiny room with the lowest rated AC unit
No other explanation for it.

Adding condo size would actually add meaning to the spend

I have 80 sqm and 2x 24000 Btu 14 hours a day and pay 4k
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, clarky cat said:

Thing is i've always paid 8 baht a unit where i've stayed (1 bed studio/hotel rooms)

But usually my electric is about 1000-1200 a month for 12-14 hours use, including very old AC units

Now i'm paying nearly 2000 for 6-8 hours use. The brand is TCL which i've never seen before and looks nearly new, also has a very noisy built-in fan which is constant and there is no option to turn this off.

Call an aircon service company to help you.  

They won't charge more than 500 THB.

High floor 31 SM  facing west, 15 year old Fujitsu air con running 12-18 hours per day..31 day bill for August was 1700.  Long hot showers...I figure an inverter would save 3-500 per month, but with a risk of getting a lemon or a bad install...I will wait until it dies.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

My bill is closing on 4,000 baht pm without any ac but it is a very big house.  I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned but the unit rate is on a sliding scale.  The more you use, the more expensive per unit.  The idea being to encourage you to use less.  Some other countries follow the same pattern.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

You must have a tiny room with the lowest rated AC unit
No other explanation for it.

Adding condo size would actually add meaning to the spend

I have 80 sqm and 2x 24000 Btu 14 hours a day and pay 4k

40 sqm, but only use Aircon in the bedroom, aircon in living room used about 10 hours a month. This month I used 138 units, 497baht. 

What temperature is your A/C set to?
Does the compressor (located outside) turn off at all when the desired temperature is reached?

If you're not on government rates , be prepared to pay almost double . 

I pay 4.xx per unit and the total bill for a 2 room unit is 900 baht . Air-Con only used in the bedroom at night.  

• Like 1

I’ve had good results asking (2)  landlords to let me replace their old ac units and deducting the cost from rent. Daiken inverters are efficient and quiet, very easy to keep a constant temperature. The fans all run on 12v. I always buy smaller than the ac sales people try to sell. 

One apartment had a huge (28k/btu?) old ac that would freeze you out even on the lowest setting, not to mention the loud fan noise. We put up with it for years, then the ac bills started creeping up to 2k, then 3k, then over 4K per month with no other major changes and the same 2 tenants.

The new 18k Daiken Inverter ac knocked the bill back to about 1700 per month again. Be sure to buy ac from an ac company, not from a big box store. They are not the same units.

Btw- One apartment cost me extra in electricity bills due to the guy next door wiring his fridge outlet into the back of my wall outlet without me knowing! Yes, if you pulled out both outlets, you could reach right through the block wall into the next room! I only found out when he moved out and I took the room over for guests.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oztruckie said:
13 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Bht 600 is 150 units a month at 4 Bht per unit. That's 5, yes 5 units a day. If you have an a/c on 8 hours every night cycling at say 500 watts average, that's 4 of your units. A floor fan takes 50 watts, fridge about the same, electric showers are 3kW, I think your meter is broken....ask for a new one !

Think your only pulling numbers outa your ass, you don't know any of the characteristics of the room, or the size of the unit, or any water heater usage, or any fridge details,you just like to write stuff for the hell of it. 

no mate, he is not. you are one of the typical posters in a dozen "how much for electricity?" who are pulling numbers out of their (_!_) :whistling:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You say you use one a/c 24/7. And two a/c's 36/7.....there are only 24 hours in a day ! Why is your video & audio system on 24/7?

his video/audio systems are using some electricity in standby mode.

• Like 1

About 650 baht/month. 46 sqm studio apartment. I probably would use the aircon about 3 - 4 times a month for a couple of hours on hot days, otherwise I'm quite acclimatized to a fan.

I think my refrigerator contributes substantially to my power bill and the heat load in the room.

Once the  2 Kids have Married and gone, theres no need to know. Its like a small Lottery win each month.4 big Bedroom House now uses 1 air con not 3 , 1 inverter fridge freezer, pool closed down. Just Me and Boss, now eat out so its averages at 1500bht from last yer till today.Apart from a few stupid posts we all seem to be the same for once. 

11 hours ago, Nemises said:

What temperature is your A/C set to?
Does the compressor (located outside) turn off at all when the desired temperature is reached?

usually about 28 degrees 

yes the compressor does turn off, though it was faulty when first moved in and someone came to fix it

just looked inside the unit and had quite a lot of dust on the filters so have cleaned it since, not sure how much difference this will make though