Tea

RickG16

13 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I have 3 x 100 boxes of Twinnings Earl Grey tea bags in my cupboard at home in Mae Rim, I had to give up drinking tea because of stomach acid, sad really? Any offers?

You could try this... Add a heaped teaspoon of baking soda to a small bottle of water, and leave it in the fridge. Take a mouthful any time you get acid indigestion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amusements said:

You could try this... Add a heaped teaspoon of baking soda to a small bottle of water, and leave it in the fridge. Take a mouthful any time you get acid indigestion.

Thanks but I have to take PPI's as a result of stomach bleeding, the meds keep it under control but not sufficiently to drink tea.

Good Enfglish tea is characterised by being incredibly strong compared to tea marketed in most other ounctries....even if it apparently is the same brand....

Beware of "English" brands like LIpton and PG...they are often pale, insipid Malaysian or Australian versions.

I found a few brands on the mainland that come up to the mark....some of these are regularly available on Samui.

At Tops...

Waitress Essential and Gold are quite expensive but good strong real imported English style tea.

At Tesco.

The range of Tescos Finest is as good as it gets.

The Gold (in the green pack) and Assam are particularly good. There is also Tesco Everday...cheap but not "my cup of tea"!

This is your best bet as they are carried at both large Tescos on Samui.

Unfortunately at Lamai they only carry the smaller packets & Everyday....go figure.

Keep an eye on the "reduced" racks,they often put a whole batch of teas on there.

If Marks and Spencer ever open on Samui, they carry a really good range of teas...I love their full strength.

There are bound to be a few "English" cafes and restaurants who sell a few boxes they have brought back from the UK..... often Tetley's, PG or Yorkshire. Not really brands I'd bother to buy in the UK.

Tesco finest however I do buy in UK.

For honest tea drinking, English style, Twinnings range is just a joke. Presumably imported via Australia they look good on the shelf, but should be left there at all times.

Edited by kwilco

On 10/1/2018 at 5:04 PM, wgdanson said:

The reason it is so expensive is that it takes a lot of nurturing and maintenance to grow that Yorkshire tea on the hills around Sheffield !

The rolling tea plantations of Yorkshire.

Many teas were introduced in UK in the blast couple of deccafes that were marketed strongly on nostalgia. They also recognised that many tea drinkers wanted a really strong dark tea and stuff like Yorkshire and "Builders" address this.

I still think Typhoo is one of the best. 

I'm not concerned if is loose or in bags....just so long as there is no string attached to the bag!

17 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I have 3 x 100 boxes of Twinnings Earl Grey tea bags in my cupboard at home in Mae Rim, I had to give up drinking tea because of stomach acid, sad really? Any offers?

I wonder how much it would cost to post them to somebody in Thailand if they paid you using Paypal?

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

The range of Tescos Finest is as good as it gets.

Yes have to agree with that statement as they suit my tastes, but then we are all different in that regard.

A few years ago I was staying in Australia and discovered Nerada tea and thought it was great, so took a whole load back to NZ and also got some sent from the factory when I ran out. That's one I can recommend from Oz.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Yes kwilco, thank you kwilco, I am aware of pylori, I've had three endoscopies so I'm absolutely positive I know!

You don't need an endoscopy unless the took a stomach biopsy, a breath test or  blood test is usually sufficient.

Edited by kwilco

57 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You don't need an endoscopy unless the took a stomach biopsy, a breath test or  blood test is usually sufficient.

ENOUGH! the topic is tea, not my stomach and certainly not your knowledge of medical procedures!!!